Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PC to Mac MP3 audio sync issue (Read 2523 times) previous topic - next topic

PC to Mac MP3 audio sync issue

I currently record live lectures with 7 x  Nomad Jukebox 3's all set the same with recording at 64 kbps. This is a PC based recorder. When I transfer the audio to my PC I edit and save the file as 64 kbps / 32 K file mono. I import this audio to MacroMedia Director created software that allows me to synchronise the audio to PowerPoint. It all works fine on a PC however when I do the same thing on a Mac I get mixed results. Sometimes audio stays synchronized to the PowerPoint and other times I find that after 1 hour or so the audio starts to go out of sync with the slides. The audio is lagging behind the time set for the slide change.
Any suggestions as to why this problem may be occuring?
Thank you.

Reply #1
In my experience with Powerpoint for Macs (I believe I have Office X, which is a few years old), I could not get the timings to work properly. In the PC version, you can be very precise with timings; in the Mac version (the X version at least), you could only specify timings down to a 1/2 second (if my memory serves), so presentations that would start out synced would end up out of sync as time went on, regardless of the type of audio, or whether I did the timings on a PC and then loaded it on my Mac or did the timings directly on the Mac.

Perhaps later versions of Powerpoint for Mac corrected this, but I'm not sure. I definitely had a few frustrating experiences where I built a beautiful presentation in my Mac, but had to eventuallly run it on a PC because of this timing problem.

Reply #2
In my experience with Powerpoint for Macs (I believe I have Office X, which is a few years old), I could not get the timings to work properly. In the PC version, you can be very precise with timings; in the Mac version (the X version at least), you could only specify timings down to a 1/2 second (if my memory serves), so presentations that would start out synced would end up out of sync as time went on, regardless of the type of audio, or whether I did the timings on a PC and then loaded it on my Mac or did the timings directly on the Mac.

Perhaps later versions of Powerpoint for Mac corrected this, but I'm not sure. I definitely had a few frustrating experiences where I built a beautiful presentation in my Mac, but had to eventuallly run it on a PC because of this timing problem.

Thanks for that.

One point to note is that I convert the PowerPoints to JPEGs. I don't actually use the PowerPoint within the Director software. The resources end up being an MP3 audio file synchronzed to JPEGs.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021