Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 audio player info (Read 95935 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 audio player info

Reply #200
I played a 15 songs playlist in shuffle mode, the shuffle, for some reason kept selecting the same songs (2,6,15), number 6 was played 3 times in a row!

I will look into the code, I have a few ideas for more sophisticated shuffle Heuristics (based on poisson distribution p(k) = (e^-c * c^k) / k!  c is Lambda, the poissionic pace, I have no idea how to make Lambda)
"La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid."

Reply #201
A similar thing happens to me. With a a playlist of  more than 1000 files it tends to repeat some songs a lot more than the rest.
If Peter implements the history for previous perhaps it could be usefull to not repeat the tracks already played. 

Reply #202
Or randomise the playlist, and keep in memory. That would make back implementation easier too, as well as ensuring that the same song isn't played back twice, but I guess it isn't truly random then..

Reply #203
Already pointed out this pseudo-random number generator. The SPC plug-in uses it for noise channels instead of rand(), which is retarded in MSVCRT. No, the current shuffle system does not use rand().

Reply #204
One small bug with v0.36a.  In the dialog that pops up after clicking "add new" in the file info dialog, resizing the box moves the cancel along with the box but not the ok button.

Reply #205
I found a bug in 0.36b when follow cursor option is not selected and i try to double click some song the player starts to play next song and not the selected song. When follow mouse cursor option is selected, then it works if i double click upper half of song name, but if i double click the lower half of the name then it start playen next song again.

Reply #206
humm... i though the SDK contained all the code, but its just an interface.

Peter if i implement a few shuffle functions in a calss can you compile it in and make a screen to select the heuristic?

musicmusic: using the Proccessor's rand() function ( i think its traslated into a special assembler function,  Hardware implemented into the CPU, by most compilers) is not good enough, first of all its only pseudo random, and second, there is more to probeblity theory then a unifom distribution (selecting one out of X elements with the same probability for selecting each one).
for instence you can shuffl by selecting x songs from a playlist of y songs (when x is smaller then y) in exponentialy distrubuted jumps forward, and get a true random selection (poissonic jumping process, for those who took probability) wich advances with the way the songs are ordered. and then start again from the top.

for instence if you sort them by length you will have songs that are longer and longer (or shorter and shorter) and then start over again (when  you reach the end of the list).

or if you sort by Gener (assuming you have the same amount of songs of the each gener and that the poissonic rate is the same as the gener type) you will have one song from each gener, randomly. of course that if you have more of some gener they are more likely to be selected more often in turn.

well maybe i shoud just not be so lazy and code it.
"La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid."

Reply #207
Wow. All I can say is the shuffle in winamp3 sucks, as that does play the same songs again... again... and again. (Then a new one). I was happy with the foobar shuffle, but if you think it can be improved, go for it

Reply #208
hey ZzZzZ, nice work, really.
the word has been spread in the israeli scene 
i think FooBar2000 is gonna make it big time.

just make it for fun and dont add advs... like everyone else today... 

Reply #209
musicmusic: using the Proccessor's rand() function ( i think its traslated into a special assembler function,  Hardware implemented into the CPU, by most compilers) is not good enough, first of all its only pseudo random, and second, there is more to probeblity theory then a unifom distribution (selecting one out of X elements with the same probability for selecting each one).

There is no such thing in most (any?) consumer CPUs. rand() is a function of the C run-time. In many Unix clones, the run-time can pull that from /dev/random or /dev/urandom, which pulls entropy data from a number of source... I have no idea how uniformly distributed it is.

MSVCRT seems to suck about that, rather limited about how it feeds the RNG, and is not very uniform. Again, no idea how this applies to other run-times. I know this one Pascal to C converter, which includes some crap reverse engineered from Borland Turbo Pascal has a really crappy pseudo RNG. The moment the number hits 0, the random function will forever return 0.

Probably linked this above somewhere, so there's a redundant link. Seems to be distributed enough... although it warns it isn't safe for use with crypto.

Reply #210
Authors of Numerical Recipies in C are willing to pay $1000 to anyone who will find non-trivial (non machine-precision based) correlation in one of the alghoritms provided in their book. So far no such correlation is known, afaik.

So if someone really needs this level of randomness, rand2() routine is probably the way to go

Reply #211
Foobar2000 runs only on Win2000 / Xp?
I have Windows ME and it works without problems! It never blocked..

Great program, very easy to use and compact.
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #212
Foobar2000 runs only on Win2000 / Xp?

It was originally that way but I believe that he updated it to work with win9x a while ago now.  B)

Reply #213
Peter.  how bout making it so you can disable the system tray icon?  I don't want it in my system tray, just my taskbar thingamadude.  Maybe just have it so when you unchecked "Hide when minimzed" the system tray icon disapears, or have it as a whole nother choice.

Reply #214
just wanted to say that the crossfeed plugin kick serious butt when using headphones. fantastic, thanks again

Reply #215
I like this player. Any chance of getting a "%path%" token for the title formatting preferences? This would display the path of the file in question, as in "C:\Music\SomeArtist\SomeAlbum". This would give useful information in conjunction with the %filename% token, in case the file does not have tags.

Reply #216
I'd like to know whether it would be possible to add "bookmarks" remembering the exact position in a file. Not so useful for music but for recorded radio sessions, speeches or listening books. That way you could open a bookmark, select the start file, pause your playing and even close the player, maybe reopen and listen to some music then listen to that listening book (containing several files) again.
I'd think that would be cool

Reply #217
Regarding streaming mp3 in v0.41a, entering an address in Add location...
shows in the playlist as a ? (question mark).

Reply #218
how about "hide when closed" option?

Reply #219
Great work, I like foobar!

There should be a further Shuffle-Option in the right-click-menu!

And showing the shortcuts behind the options at the right side of the right-click-menu wouldn't be a bad idea...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wenn jemand Mitgefühl braucht - ich kann's vorheucheln

Reply #220
before anyone else complains: foobar2000 is about functionality, technical capabilities and high-quality audio playback, NOT about cool-looking user interface. if you want skinning, visualisation, etc, then fb2k is not for you.

"before anyone else complains: foobar2000 is about functionality, technical capabilities and high-quality audio playback"

That said by the developer of this fine product, I would point out that there is noise in the silent or nearly silent portions at the end of a track.  Like Billy Joel's 52nd Street from 3:50 to 4:02.  If this were an LP I would think there is dirt in the groove.  There is also noise in low volume parts during the rest of the track.  I do not hear these "noises" listening to the same tracks with <perish!> RealPlayer or the WinMedia player.  I am listening with Etymotic in-ear stereo headphones which are pretty good.

But assume I am one of those "deaf people" who are seen out there.  I can send clips of screen captures of the same track played with foobar, RealPlayer and WinMedia where the "noise" is visible only in foobar.  Fifty years ago I would say it was gassy tubes, a tube not seated well in its socket, or dirt in the record groove.  It cannot be any of these, is confined to foobar and can be shown, simply, by comparing the CoolEdit display of the input file and how it looks captured through TotalRecorder and played back through CoolEdit.  The playback file also has screen captures of the same data played through the other two listed players and captured by TotalRecorder.

And while the sound is a little thin and sere compared to RP and WM, that is a judgement so subjective as to be best disallowed.  In actuality this is agreat product developed with sheer grit, determination and talent.  Wish I could do work like this.  But, I can't  Just a few tweaks and it will be a world beater.

Yes!

Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #221
I would point out that there is noise in the silent or nearly silent portions at the end of a track.

Are you using DirectSound or waveOut?  I had the same problem on my other computer when using DirectSound, but it went away when I switched to waveOut.  I'm using an AWE32.

-Marcus

Reply #222
In that case, it was a design decision at MS to make drivers which only play 8 bit audio through directsound, to conserve ISA bus bandwidth or some crap like that. Only way around it is to create a primary buffer of the same format as the secondary buffer actually used for playback.

Reply #223
Are you using DirectSound or waveOut?  I had the same problem on my other computer when using DirectSound, but it went away when I switched to waveOut.  I'm using an AWE32.

-Marcus

Ricecake -

You missed that it occurs only with foobar.  It does not occur with RealPlayer or WinMed 8.  It does not appear in the input file.  It would seem that I have narrowed it down to foobar.  But don't believe me, try it yourself.  I am not making this up.  This is easily reproduceable.

Your question, though, was do I use directsound?  Yes.  If that is the problem, why don't the other two players have the same problem? 

Did you have the same problem with all three players?  You did not say.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #224
Do you have hardware mixing enabled?
(All other players use software mixing,
if disabling it helps then you have broken soundcard drivers)
Also you may want to check new 'kernel streaming' driver to see if it helps...
I've changed only because of myself.
Remember, when you quote me, you're quoting AstralStorm.
(read: this account is dead)