Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 audio player info (Read 95899 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 audio player info

Reply #25
hi,

nice to see that quality is your first goal
good job

bye

Reply #26
@gecko: trayicon problem noted, time played/remining switch noted; playlist sorting by selected field takes about 1 second with my ~2000 file playlist so it might be way longer for you (bigger playlist + bigger database slowing lookups down); i highly doubt if it actually locks up while sorting. next build (tomorrow?) will include some speed tweaks to workaround that.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #27
GOOD GAWD! The thing does not even register any CPU usage on the meter while playing oggies? Can this be right? It may not look cool but it sure is hella unobtrusive.

Quick thought though. Would it be possible to define universally trapable keystrokes for tray mode. That way what ever you are doing or what program you are using you could always control it easy.

Reply #28
zZzZzZz,

This is pretty slick.  I like it! 

Feature Reqs:
1. $if2 support in title formatting?
2. Sort by "display name" in playlist?

Question: What's the "subsong index" on the File Info?

[guess] Is this for when several songs are concatenated into a single file (e.g., an ogg container)? [/guess]

Reply #29
global hotkeys - noted
$if2() - blah ? thought it was working, title formatting doc is outdated to death
sort by display name - already on todo list

yes, you are right about subsong index, it's for multiple tracks per file, eg. with chained oggs; every chained stream shows as separate playlist entry; you can also chain ogg vorbis with ogg flac into one file, they will both play.

Reply #30
I really like it!

What I would love to see in next version: built-in support for .cue-files like mp3cue!

Reply #31
I'm getting [UNKNOWN FUNCTION] with $if2.  I just copied my display string from my Winamp Vorbis Plugin (1.2.9) config.

The format is just $if2(%tag1%,%tag2%), and it returns the contents of tag1 if it exists, otherwise it returns the contents of tag2, correct?

Cool stuff with the chained ogg support.  I'll have to try it out.

Any chance to get the player to remember window positions and sizes across sessions?

Reply #32
I like the idea of it, its great to see quality being taken as the priority.. ultimately i would like to see more functionality.. I have never used skins or anything on winamp, and whilst i find winamp to be quite a good looking program as is i am sure a lot of elements from it could be missed quite easily... just basic buttons for play controls.. Really important to me are the following features of winamp which I really enjoy and miss

i) monkeys audio support, for faster encoding times and i thought it had better playback features supported than other lossless formats

ii) albumlist style break down of albums... I have over 500 albums on my machine and find it one of the only practical ways i could work with it.. not sure if i could approximate that kind of affect by adding the directories that contained the music... with all albums bunched together i think it would be harder to "see the wood for the trees" .. unless there is a viewing option in already that compresses to album name.. a bit like function folding in VI etc..

iii) for such a minimal program i think remote control is a great idea.. a telnet access to it would be nice for network jukebox duties but i fear that is a little out of its realm and not too useful for the majority of users... much better would be infra red control, via winlirc ... there are plugins for winamp, i believe its quite simple... u just have to listen on a port for lirc packets... couple that to an LCD display output (eventually, this still looks like its very hard work getting these things running) and you have the basis of an excellent audio player to be used in a hifi mentality...

all in all looks great.. I am listening now but fear i am well and truly in the realm of placebo.. has anyone been able to blindly tell between winamp say and foobar2000 from a playback quality perspective.. I use ZzZzzZzzzz's SSRC plugin for winamp already.. I dunno if i can hear a difference... not got the opportunity to test it blindy over here tho

Reply #33
yes, you are right about subsong index, it's for multiple tracks per file, eg. with chained oggs; every chained stream shows as separate playlist entry; you can also chain ogg vorbis with ogg flac into one file, they will both play.

What I would love to see in next version: built-in support for .cue-files like mp3cue!

This is what I was thinking, it sounds like a natural fit for FLAC + the new CUESHEET metadata block (see here), where you can load a FLAC of a whole CD and create subsongs for the individual tracks.

Josh

Reply #34
I think that one would have to have some serious golden ears and awesome equipment to be able to tell the difference between winamp and fb2k for playback quality.

Maybe I'm stupid though. 

To owners of Logitech Keyboards with media player control keys:  Add the following line to your players.ini file and reboot.  You can guess what happens next.

Foobar2000=key,Foobar2000.exe,FOOBAR2000_CLASS,xxx,xxx,X,xxx,Z,xxx,C,0,1,Foobar 2000

Since there's no pause or previous track functions, those buttons don't do anything.  The buttons also don't work when the window is minimized though.  (zZzZzZz?)

Reply #35
added pause, fixed systray weirdness, fixed some other small things.
about $if2() - noted that, must be something obvious broken (or old version of tagz.cpp used), i'll check it later.

about "audio quality" - i highly doubt if there's any hearable difference between fb2k and winamp when playing properly encoded mp3s on 16bit soundcard. fb2k's main advantage over other players is its 32bit floatingpoint pipeline, capable of applying DSP with much better resolution, without going through legacy low-resolution steps between decoders and DSPs. also, clipping problem is permanently solved by applying hard limiter before converting from 32bit floatingpoint to linear PCM for output.

FYI, fb2k uses modified mpglib producing 32bit floatingpoint data (no 16bit PCM step like in other mpglib versions), i've been too lazy to perform any "tests" on it.

[edit] posted 0.24a, should fix $if2(), i'm too lazy to check

Reply #36
Confirming $if2 fix.

You rule!

Updated Logitech string:
Foobar2000=key,Foobar2000.exe,FOOBAR2000_CLASS,xxx,xxx,C,X,Z,xxx,V,0,1,Foobar 2000

Reply #37
Great Job zZzZzZz!
Runs like a charm since Version 0.01 on my machines and is going to become my favourite audioplayer.
I only hope that the Coolplayer Zaelots don't complain about it being not-skin-able!
dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #38
Hey, i LOVE this.
Congratulation Peter, a great program already with totally no BS [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](pff, pp and bs, yeah right)[/span], does what it needs to do well, all i need.
LOW memory usage! oh yeah...
Gonna recommend it to all my (computer literate) friends.
Any problems or suggestions i may have, i'll report (can't think of anything now ).
Thanks a lot for this!

Reply #39
Absolutely lovely. : D

Wishlist item: %filename% works, but %bitrate% doesn't seem to work. Could this be fixed? Pretty please?: )

edit: running 0.24a

Reply #40
some kind of bitrate display will be added, something like "%bitrate%" will work at some point; i think technical file specs (samplerate bitrate etc) need to be stored separately from metadata and that needs extra work.

Reply #41
low-resolution steps between decoders and DSPs. also, clipping problem is permanently solved by applying hard limiter before converting from 32bit floatingpoint to linear PCM for output.

to clarify: does this mean that mp3s and mpcs don't clip, even without replaygaining/mp3gaining?  That would be a pretty nice feature.

edit: also, is there any config for the spc plugin?

Reply #42
I really like this player! Thanks peter!
Feature request: Stop after current song option.
Blubb

Reply #43
Sounds sweet on my Audigy. I will check it with my Audiophile 24/96. That will be the real test.

Nice work, Thank you.

David

Reply #44

That would rule idd. Please consider it

Reply #45
I missed my alt+3 shortcut for editing tags.  Is that possible to edit tags and add that short cut key?

Reply #46
I missed my alt+3 shortcut for editing tags.  Is that possible to edit tags and add that short cut key?

IIRC, there will be no tag editing in foobar.  It's pretty much an audio player and that's it.  I don't think Peter really sees much point in adding stuff to foobar which can and should be done better with other dedicated programs (tag + frontend).  Can't say I disagree with that approach either.

Of course, I could be wrong... but if you don't get an answer, now you know why

Reply #47
Is there an option to run it minimized by default?

Reply #48
@zZzZzZz: Don't add a G_ddamned thing! Resist feature-creep -- keep 'er lean and mean. I love it!

Low memory usage, almost no CPU usage, and no stupid S|<i|\|z. This is how software should be designed.

Rock on.

Reply #49
Resist feature-creep

I think I've met him.