Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AutoFLAC (Read 326679 times) previous topic - next topic

AutoFLAC

Reply #50
Question 1: With AutoEAC, I am having the same problem as Philaphonic

http://philaphonic.spymac.com/Error-01.png

You said that it was due to the naming schemes being different in AutoEAC and EAC.  I actually cut and pasted the naming scheme directly from EAC into Auto EAC.  They both are :%I\%A\%Y\%C\%N-%T
Am I doing this incorrectly?  No cue is being written.

Verify that the Artist and Album names displayed in EAC exactly match the Artist and Album folder names.  Sometimes Windows/EAC will name the folder differently than what is displayed.  This can happen if there's an "invalid" (according to Windows) character in the filename, such as a '/', or it can happen if there's a trailing space after the name (which is frustratingly difficult to troubleshoot, believe me).

I'd suggest that you copy/paste the artist name from EAC and Windows Explorer into notepad, one below the other, then repeat with the album name.  Verify character by character that they match.  This is most likely your problem.

Question #2  This is my functionality request.  If you could
    A: allow the naming convention in AutoFLAC to be changeable,
    B: allow encoding with Lame or other codecs as individual files (while still encoding the FLAC images) into a different directory at the same time.
    C: make certain that all data tracks and hidden tracks are included in the image.

I'm currently working on other projects at the moment, so no major features will be added anytime soon.  I do still need to make a couple bug fixes, which I hope to do soon, but it'll be a maintanence release only.  As for your specific requests:

A) This has been requested by a bunch of people, and while I'm not opposed to it, it would take a good bit of time to implement and test properly.  I'd say this is on my long-term todo list, but I can't commit to any particular timeline for getting it done.  AutoEAC already supports this, though, so if this is important to you I'd recommend you use that version.

B) I don't have any plans to add this capability.  While I'm sure it would be convenient, the stated purpose of the program is to backup lossless copies.  MP3, even if done as a duplicate, is simply outside of that scope and I'd rather not spend time implementing that functionality.

I think a better solution to this problem would be to use a script/program that can transcode your collection after the fact into any format you want.  This way, as your musical needs or technical preferences change, it'd be very easy to simply delete the lossy copies and run the script again with different settings to create a new copy.  I've already written such a script for my own collection, which I do plan on publishing to my software page after a few finishing touches, but it's designed for individual FLACs.  I don't know how much work it'd be to modify it for FLAC images.  I'm sure you can find other programs capable of doing this, though (foobar2000 comes to mind).

C) If you're talking about ripping to a FLAC image, then all hidden audio tracks will be included, even tracks hidden in track 01 index 00.  If you choose to rip to individual tracks, then all hidden audio tracks except track 01 index 00  will be included.  This is a technical limitation, though I'm trying to come up with a workaround for it.

Data tracks, however, cannot be embedded in a FLAC image.  It's just not technically possible.  If you prefer album images vs. individual tracks, then it may make sense to create an ISO image of the Data track vs. simply copying over the files like AutoFLAC does.  Personally, I prefer having the individual files, as this makes it actually usable while sitting on my file server.  However, if you want a true duplicate copy, an ISO image would be better, as you can ensure you maintain the volume title, etc.

ISO support, however, is another feature that I don't currently plan on adding to AutoFLAC.  Think about it this way: if I was solely interested in making 100% accurate archive copies for no purpose other than to backup my CD collection, then I wouldn't even bother with AutoFLAC.  I'd use CDRWin, or something similar, and make bit-by-bit images of the entire disc.  This would be the most accurate solution to recreating identical copies, but I also want to be able to enjoy this material as well.  If I'm giving up a couple hundred gigs of storage space, then I absolutely want to be able to browser through my collection and listen to any song or watch any bonus content that I'd like.  With ISO or BIN/CUE images, that'd be simply impossible (or impractical at the very best).

Hope this helps.

AutoFLAC

Reply #51
Thank you for your response!  I am stumped.  I have verified the naming schemes letter for letter.  Am I supposed to incluse the entire string in both?  That is how it is right now.
naming scheme in EAC is:          %I\%A\%Y\%C\%N-%T
naming scheme in AutoEAC is:  %I\%A\%Y\%C\%N-%T

various artist naming scheme in EAC is:        %I\Various Artists\%C\%N-%A - %T
various artist naming scheme in AutoEAC is    %I\Various Artists\%C\%N-%A - %T

I checked for spaces as well.  Thanks for your help here.  I greatly appreciate it.

AutoFLAC

Reply #52
Don't verify the naming schemes (well, verify them, but that's not what I meant above), verify the actual names.  Make sure that what's displayed in EAC (which is what AutoFLAC/AutoEAC expects) matches the folder names created for this album.

AutoFLAC

Reply #53
I'm sure this is User Error, but I'm getting the following error when running AutoEAC 1.04:

Code: [Select]
AutoIt Error
Line 0 (File "C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\AutoEAC.exe"):

run(StringReplace($g_path &$g_gain, '%filelist', $list), $ripdir, @SWHIDE)

Error: Unable to execute the external program.

The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm getting FLACs, but ReplayGain is not being applied. The flac and metaflac executables are both in the same directory.

What have I done wrong? I'm sure it's me.

AutoFLAC

Reply #55

That line of code is unique to AutoEAC, so I'll have to let masterofimages answer it.

Hi Nitro
I think that sometimes it works and sometimes not.  You must be right that it has to do with conversion of illegal characters causing thins to no match every time.  I am now having the same problem as Cutestory.  Is there any way to alert masterofimages to the new questions?  Thanks again for clarifying the earlier issue.

AutoFLAC

Reply #56
I'm sure this is User Error, but I'm getting the following error when running AutoEAC 1.04:

Code: [Select]
AutoIt Error
Line 0 (File "C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\AutoEAC.exe"):

Error: Unable to execute the external program.

The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm getting FLACs, but ReplayGain is not being applied. The flac and metaflac executables are both in the same directory.

What have I done wrong? I'm sure it's me.

I was getting this error, and I found it to be that you have the naming scheme set up wrong. Here is an example:

if you have EAC naming scheme set to be:  %A\%C (%Y)\%N-%T

you should set your naming scheme in AutoEAC to:  %A\%C (%Y)

leave off the actual filenames which for me is $N-%T . Try this, and if you need any questions answered let me know.

AutoFLAC

Reply #57
My EAC naming scheme:

%A\%C\%N-%T

My AutoEAC naming scheme:

%A\%C

Still getting the error. Also tried your specific example for naming scheme, and that doesn't work either.

AutoFLAC

Reply #58
Cutestory, try using AutoFLAC 1.1 and see what it does.  If it works, then that likely means the problem is in the variable name code of AutoEAC, which masterofimages can look into next time he checks this thread.  If AutoFLAC fails as well, however, then there's likely something else going on that affects both programs.

AutoFLAC

Reply #59
AutoFLAC works fine.

In fact, I was using it for a while when I noticed that AutoEAC had a couple of features I liked...being able to use my own naming scheme, as well as appending Accuraterip info to the logs. I guess I'll go back to using AutoFLAC, which itself is a wonderful program. I'll do without those features until masterofimages shows up again...

Thanks a lot everyone for the help!

AutoFLAC

Reply #60
AutoFLAC works fine.

In fact, I was using it for a while when I noticed that AutoEAC had a couple of features I liked...being able to use my own naming scheme, as well as appending Accuraterip info to the logs. I guess I'll go back to using AutoFLAC, which itself is a wonderful program. I'll do without those features until masterofimages shows up again...

Thanks a lot everyone for the help!

Ditto here.  This seems to be specific to AutoEAC.  I too will go back to AutoFLAC until things are fixed.  Thanks again to everyone for their help.

AutoFLAC

Reply #61
Ok, Nitro,
I have been using AutoFLAC for a while now, and I have discovered a problem.  Sometimes on some albums, the cue sheet being created writes incorrectly.  For example, it might write:

FILE "02-Goodbye.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Goodbye"
    PERFORMER "The Sundays"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "03-Life & Soul.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Life & Soul"
    PERFORMER "The Sundays"
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "More"
    PERFORMER "The Sundays"
    INDEX 00 02:37:30
FILE "04-More.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "On Earth"
    PERFORMER "The Sundays"
    INDEX 00 02:42:73
FILE "05-On Earth.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "God Made Me"
    PERFORMER "The Sundays"
    INDEX 00 02:22:3

I have to go in and manually edit placing, for example,
"  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "More"
    PERFORMER "The Sundays"

beneath FILE "04-More.flac" WAVE

and deleting    INDEX 00 02:37:30

Any ideas what is going on here?

If I don't fix it, Foobar will play the wrong song under the correct title.

Thanks!

AutoFLAC

Reply #63
Ok, Nitro,
I have been using AutoFLAC for a while now, and I have discovered a problem.  Sometimes on some albums, the cue sheet being created writes incorrectly.

Actually, that's not an error.  It's supposed to be that way, but the answer why is a little long.

EAC supports 4 methods for creating cue sheets.  The one that AutoFLAC uses is labeled "Multiple WAV Files With Gaps (Noncompliant)".  As indicated in the title, this can result in cue sheets that other programs may not be able to read.  foobar2000 is one such program.

So, why did I choose this one?  Because this is the only method that creates an accurate copy of the CD.  The other options treat audio data in gaps differently - usually either discarding it or prepending it to the next song.  The noncompliant option, however, properly maintains the gap data in both the audio files and cue sheet.

Since the primary purpose of AutoFLAC is to create a duplicate backup copy, I chose the noncompliant option to ensure that it yields perfect copies.  I did test the other options, but found that restored CDs are different from the original, which defeated the whole purpose.

So, like I said, it's not really an error.  It's annoying, certainly, but necessary.

It's not a problem of AutoFLAC, it's a ''feature'' of EAC ... a Noncompliant cuesheet

Thanks, Cosmo.  That's a much quicker way of saying what I was trying to get out. 

AutoFLAC

Reply #64
Wow, this is truly an unending learning process!    And to think that I have gone in and manually edited all of these  cuesheets to playback properly.  I guess all I have done is screwed them up!  Nevertheless, this is good to understand.  I am glad that this is working properly.  I will not worry about it, then.  I don't have to open cuesheets in Foobar anyway.  I can just open the tracks themselves and direct Foobar to ignore cuesheets.  I was just concerned that none of the discs would rip back properly from the cue sheets.  Thanks for getting back so quickly.  Hopefully this will be helpful to others as well.

AutoFLAC

Reply #65
Has masterofimages forsaken us?

AutoFLAC

Reply #66
First time poster. Love this forum, I've learned a lot! If this is a newbie question, please forgive my ignorance. I'm having problems using the write mode of autoflac. When it starts up, I load the cuesheet that was created when I ripped the cd. Then I get the following error:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Daryl

AutoFLAC

Reply #67
...does the file exist? 

If you're not sure where to look, let me know and I'll try to reply with a more detailed repsone later tonight.

AutoFLAC

Reply #68
...does the file exist? 

If you're not sure where to look, let me know and I'll try to reply with a more detailed repsone later tonight.

Yeah, it (they) exist as flac's. But in the cue sheet above, they show up as wavs.

AutoFLAC

Reply #69
Yeah, it (they) exist as flac's. But in the cue sheet above, they show up as wavs.

They're supposed to be .wav files.  EAC doesn't natively support FLAC files.  That's why I wrote AutoFLAC - to automate encoding to and burning from FLAC files.

When you run AutoFLAC in write mode and select a .cue file, it will parse through the cue sheet line by line and convert all FLAC files listed in the sheet to WAV files, then rewrite the cue sheet to reference the WAV files, which EAC can understand.  All of these gets written to a temporary directory, which by default is a subdirectory of the album directory.  The new cue sheet is then opened with EAC, which is processed to ensure everything is ready to be burned.  You're obviously having a problem with that last step.

Do me a favor please.  Run AutoFLAC in write mode again, select that CUE sheet, and let it run until it gets to the same error message that you posted before.  At that point, just leave it sit there on the screen and do the following.

Run cmd.exe
Navigate to the directory where the FLACs and CUE sheet that you're trying burn are stored
Type in 'dir /s >c:\output.txt' and hit enter (without the quotes)
Paste the contents c:\output.txt to the forum

Also, please run regedit and let me know the value of these two keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AutoFLAC\
[writetempdir]
[writetemptype]

This will help me troubleshoot your problem.

AutoFLAC

Reply #70
Here's the output.txt:

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 206E-1393

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\EAC Rips\Bootleg\Van Halen\Newcastle 5-21-78

09/05/2006  09:38 PM    <DIR>          .
09/05/2006  09:38 PM    <DIR>          ..
09/05/2006  03:09 PM            1,639 00-Newcastle 5-21-78.cue
09/05/2006  03:09 PM            3,449 00-Newcastle 5-21-78.log
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        7,734,254 01-vh1978-05-21-t01.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        27,644,575 02-vh1978-05-21-t02.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        6,925,434 03-vh1978-05-21-t03.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        24,019,681 04-vh1978-05-21-t04.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        21,452,973 05-vh1978-05-21-t05.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        20,598,524 06-vh1978-05-21-t06.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        22,215,336 07-vh1978-05-21-t07.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        24,918,404 08-vh1978-05-21-t08.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        20,280,867 09-vh1978-05-21-t09.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        25,704,726 10-vh1978-05-21-t10.flac
09/05/2006  03:11 PM        36,125,685 11-vh1978-05-21-t11.flac
09/05/2006  09:38 PM    <DIR>          AutoFLAC
09/05/2006  03:14 PM              649 ffp.txt
09/05/2006  03:13 PM              573 info.txt
              15 File(s)    237,626,769 bytes

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\EAC Rips\Bootleg\Van Halen\Newcastle 5-21-78\AutoFLAC

09/05/2006  09:38 PM    <DIR>          .
09/05/2006  09:38 PM    <DIR>          ..
09/05/2006  09:38 PM            1,628 00-Newcastle 5-21-78.wav.cue
              1 File(s)          1,628 bytes

Total Files Listed:
              16 File(s)    237,628,397 bytes
              5 Dir(s)  46,702,862,336 bytes free

And the values from regedit:

writetempdir = c:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp
writetemptype = album

AutoFLAC

Reply #71
VHROXU2:
I just wanted to make sure that you are using autoflac to convert a cue sheet that was also created with autoflac.  Autoflac will not read a cue sheet you created with EAC.  Forgive me if this seems an obvious statement.

AutoFLAC

Reply #72
vhroxu2, based on the info posted, it looks like nexus77's assessment is correct.  AutoFLAC's write mode currently requires that it be fed a CUE sheet that was originally created with AutoFLAC's rip mode.  This is a limitation that I plan to fix in the next version, just haven't gotten to it yet.

To confirm, please open up your original cue file, "00-Newcastle 5-21-78.cue".  Look for the first line that begins with FILE (probably line 7, based on your previous screenshot) and check the extension of the file.  If it's .wav, then AutoFLAC will fail, for the reason listed above.

A workaround that you can try until I fix this issue would be to rename the file extensions in your original CUE sheet to .flac from .wav.  AutoFLAC should (assuming no other differences) be able to work with it then.

AutoFLAC

Reply #73
vhroxu2, based on the info posted, it looks like nexus77's assessment is correct.  AutoFLAC's write mode currently requires that it be fed a CUE sheet that was originally created with AutoFLAC's rip mode.  This is a limitation that I plan to fix in the next version, just haven't gotten to it yet.

To confirm, please open up your original cue file, "00-Newcastle 5-21-78.cue".  Look for the first line that begins with FILE (probably line 7, based on your previous screenshot) and check the extension of the file.  If it's .wav, then AutoFLAC will fail, for the reason listed above.

A workaround that you can try until I fix this issue would be to rename the file extensions in your original CUE sheet to .flac from .wav.  AutoFLAC should (assuming no other differences) be able to work with it then.

The original cue sheet was created by autoflac. When I open it, the first FILE line is:

FILE "01-vh1978-05-21-t01.flac" WAVE

Again, when I open this cuesheet in autoflac write mode, I get the error in the screenshot above. I don't think autoflac is converting the flacs back to wav, thus telling me the file doesn't exist.

Totally confused.

AutoFLAC

Reply #74
The original cue sheet was created by autoflac. When I open it, the first FILE line is:

FILE "01-vh1978-05-21-t01.flac" WAVE

Again, when I open this cuesheet in autoflac write mode, I get the error in the screenshot above. I don't think autoflac is converting the flacs back to wav, thus telling me the file doesn't exist.

Huh...  I don't know what the problem is, then.  I'll try to spend some time looking into it tomorrow night and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

Out of curiousity, does AutoFLAC work for other CDs you try to write, or do you always get this error?