Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABX-test on the iPod (Read 5266 times) previous topic - next topic

ABX-test on the iPod

Hi everybody,

To find out which codec and bitrate to use on my iPod, I want to perform some ABX-tests... I don't want to ABX on my PC but on the iPod itself.

I know there was a program called iPod-ABX discussed some time ago here -- unfortunately I can not find it anymore. Can anyone tell me if there is some software which can be used to perform simple ABX-testing on my new 60GB 5th generation iPod?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Andreas

ABX-test on the iPod

Reply #1
Hi everybody,

To find out which codec and bitrate to use on my iPod, I want to perform some ABX-tests... I don't want to ABX on my PC but on the iPod itself.

I know there was a program called iPod-ABX discussed some time ago here -- unfortunately I can not find it anymore. Can anyone tell me if there is some software which can be used to perform simple ABX-testing on my new 60GB 5th generation iPod?

Andreas
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350777"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess the simplest option would be to record iPod's sound of the tracks on your computer, then ABX these on this computer, with your iPod earbuds or whatever. The only issue is that you will have to cut the start of both records so that one does not have a different offset.
[edit:]offset
[edit2:]Please damaki use your brain when you answer to a topic. Stupid answers like this one are pointless. I Just noticed that you did want not to abx for iPod but on iPod. Sorry for this damn useless answer...
Stupidity is root of all evil.

ABX-test on the iPod

Reply #2
I don't know of any software to do ABX testing on an ipod. The ipod won't run programs, at least not without major hacking.

Your best bet is to use mp3gain or aacgain on songs to match levels, rename files in some random way so that you don't know which is which, then do comparative listening on your ipod.  If you want to ABX against the original, also do an ALAC encode, although I don't know if there's a volume adjustment program for ALAC.

Googling ipod-abx did not find anything useful.

ABX-test on the iPod

Reply #4
ipod abx @ Google :

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=23807
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350848"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That page links to another post which is supposed to include the program.  Alas, the other post says "[attachmentid=undefined]"  Was the attachement showing up for you?

By the way, this program would not run on an ipod, but would help set up a test by matching volume levels (via soundcheck rather than mp3gain or aacgain) and giving opaque names

ABX-test on the iPod

Reply #5
It would be possible to do this cleverly by using the iPod Note Reader functionality. You wouldn't have to rename anything, you'd just have to put both files on the iPod and then create some clever note files which would let you play them without seeing any real information about them.

This documentation would be what you need to do it: http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ipod/ipodnotereader.pdf

You would need to create the Preferences file with the line:
<meta name="NotesOnly" content="true">
in it, to prevent the person from exiting the note reader. You'd also need:
<meta name="NowPlaying" content="false">
in there, to keep your song links from displaying the now playing screen.

Then you create some notes to let you play a bunch of different X's, like X1, X2, X3, etc.. Each one of these randomly points at either track A or track B. Then the user can play each and write down which he thinks it is. Afterwards, he can compare and check his results. You could also create links to A and B so he can play those for comparison purposes.

Then all he has to do to get the iPod back to normal would be to connect it to a PC and delete the Preferences file off the iPod.

This would not be particularly difficult to demonstrate, if anybody is interested. Writing a program to generate the notes would be fairly trivial as well.

ABX-test on the iPod

Reply #6
Hi everybody,

Andreas
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

iPod-ABX should be able to do that:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39831&view=findpost&p=350887]iPod-ABX[/url]

ABX-test on the iPod

Reply #7
You could also use fileabx.