Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar 0.9 vs EAC Secure rip (Read 113687 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar 0.9 vs EAC Secure rip

Reply #76
My own results with a badly scratched copy of Rage Against the Machine's self-titled cd.
This CD gives cd players a lot of trouble, on some tracks I have to stop it or it will just get stuck in the middle of a song.

Foobar:

Default settings.
I noticed that there was a half-second of silence or static during the first five seconds of every track. On the final track, there was some clipping near the end. Other than that, no problems. Definitely listenable, fast too, and I would upload this copy to a torrent site if there were no other lossless copies.

EAC Secure mode:

Secure mode, error correction set to full.
Wouldn't rip any track beyond 16 seconds. Read error, sync error messages. FAIL.

EAC Paranoid mode:
Don't normally use this, but I'll try it for this problem cd.
Turned off skip extraction for read/sync errors so that it would actually rip it without bitching.
Started ripping, came back 2 minutes later, it was at 1.5% of the first song.
Ridiculous.

Tried ripping with foobar again, this time direct to FLAC Level 8 instead of Wav. Two minutes later, 4/10 tracks completed.

EAC might be good for some CDs, but in this case Foobar's ripper beat it. It didn't complain, my cd drive wasn't making evil noises like it does with EAC, and I got great rips as opposed to no rips. It surprised me too.

Will try with another CD to see if its just a fluke, but I'm starting to think Foobar is the ultimate all-in-one. Ripping, burning, playing FLAC natively, keeps tags when converting and converts fast, has sick visualizers and skins, totally customizable. Thinking about removing EAC...