Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fixed bitrate for certain parts of songs (Read 3256 times) previous topic - next topic

fixed bitrate for certain parts of songs

I have a song, goes for about 8 mins, but the last 2 minutes are the sound of waves crashing on a beach. Sure it's nice, but I really don't think it needs the higher bitrates here.

Is there any way to set the bitratet lower for these last 2 minutes, rather than going with what lame thinks it needs to be encoded at?

Reply #1
Sorta Offtopic:

This is an interesting feature I would like to see in Lame.

The ability to change the -V value and the -q value while the encoding is happening.
Lets say I leave my computer alone and don't mind Lame hogging lots of cpu time, and want -q easily set higher via some shortcut key. Maybe ctrl-up, ctrl-down. Is that a feature anyone else wants?

Reply #2
I have a song, goes for about 8 mins, but the last 2 minutes are the sound of waves crashing on a beach. Sure it's nice, but I really don't think it needs the higher bitrates here.

Is there any way to set the bitratet lower for these last 2 minutes, rather than going with what lame thinks it needs to be encoded at?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291739"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the answer is no. But what makes you think that the last 2 minutes do not need a higher bitrate? What setting did you use and what bitrate did LAME choose for the last 2 minutes? How did you check what bitrates are used? Even if the sound of waves sound pretty trival for you doesn't mean that it is easy to encode...

Sorta Offtopic:

This is an interesting feature I would like to see in Lame.

The ability to change the -V value and the -q value while the encoding is happening.
Lets say I leave my computer alone and don't mind Lame hogging lots of cpu time, and want -q easily set higher via some shortcut key. Maybe ctrl-up, ctrl-down. Is that a feature anyone else wants?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291788"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

a higher -q setting doesn't nessesarily mean better quality...--preset standard uses -q3...there's a -q0, which is painfully slow but could introduce artifacts...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #3
But what makes you think that the last 2 minutes do not need a higher bitrate? What setting did you use and what bitrate did LAME choose for the last 2 minutes? How did you check what bitrates are used? Even if the sound of waves sound pretty trival for you doesn't mean that it is easy to encode...

using alt-preset standard. the waves part hovers around 192 (I simply watch the bitrate meter change in the winamp window)

The point of discussion I'm raising is the necessity of noise, should it be worthy of preserving certain sounds, not by complexity, but by what they are to the listener? This is something a formula can't decide, but the user can.

If anyone listens to Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music... would it be worth encoding at a high bitrate if all you get is screeches and grating noises anyway?

Reply #4
The point of discussion I'm raising is the necessity of noise, should it be worthy of preserving certain sounds, not by complexity, but by what they are to the listener? This is something a formula can't decide, but the user can. [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As I understand it, you want something like the [a href="http://ronald.vslcatena.nl/docs/xvidfaq.html#C11]zones of the XVID video codec[/url], don't you? Good idea, just write that code for LAME (it's open source, you know) or convince some developer to implement it. 

Reply #5
using alt-preset standard. the waves part hovers around 192 (I simply watch the bitrate meter change in the winamp window)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292135"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the bitrates switches far more often than winamp displays it...but if they'd show it in real time you wouldn't see anything but some numbers moving up and down like crazy...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #6
smack nailed it on the head, that's a feature I'd be interested in too, unfortunately i'm no coder  .
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100