Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame command line (Read 5543 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame command line

Hey, i've tried writing a lame command line that will write the id3 tags from the file name, but havent' been able to get it to work.  Can someone help me out.  I like to have v1 and v2 tags.  I'd appreciate it
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Lame command line

Reply #1
What I mean is that I can't get it to write the tags at all.  I'm not necessarily trying to write the command line in the tag.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Lame command line

Reply #3
No prob.

Lame command line

Reply #4
Unless you have a particular desire to use the command line encoder, you could use lamedropXPd, either 3.92 or 3.93alpha, from here: http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/mp3.html which has a tagging facility to do just what you want. Both versions use the standard lame libraries.

Lame command line

Reply #5
I must be missing something cos I can't get it to write ide tags

argh!!

Lame command line

Reply #6
had problems with ID3 too
my command line in EAC is

--alt-preset extreme --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --tn "%n" %s %d

Lame command line

Reply #7
Originally posted by dreamliner77
Hey, i've tried writing a lame command line that will write the id3 tags from the file name

Don't know if i understood your question correctly! But if you're talking about a commandline that you would use to call LAME.exe separately it wouldn't work. LAME.exe itself can't read information out of the filename. You need to have a 'frontend' like EAC that can do it!
With EAC it would work the way XENION described, where %a, %t, etc. are variables that are known by the 'frontend'
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Lame command line

Reply #8
dreamliner77,
I don't know why you want to use lame to perform this task, but it can be done by Tag .
Get a frontend for Tag
here

Lame command line

Reply #9
I think EAC writes the ID3-Tags automatically. Why use a command line for this anyway?

Lame command line

Reply #10
it sure does, all I have in EAC is
--alt-preset standard %s %d

Lame command line

Reply #11
EAC doesn't write any tags automatically.

but the use of id3 tags are default.

just to clear up confusion...
mike

Lame command line

Reply #12
@xmixahlx

That means, that EAC _can_ write ID3-Tags, doesn't it? So I have to correct myself:

"EAC can write ID3-Tags, if you like. So there is no need for lame-command-lines with tagging."

Lame command line

Reply #13
The problem with EAC and writing tags is that it cannot write ID3v2 without ID3v1 tags. So, if you want to have a file with only a ID3v2 file, you will have to use extra command line options in EAC to let LAME write the tag and tell EAC not to write it.

Sikke

Lame command line

Reply #14
Originally posted by SikkeK
The problem with EAC and writing tags is that it cannot write ID3v2 without ID3v1 tags. So, if you want to have a file with only a ID3v2 file, you will have to use extra command line options in EAC to let LAME write the tag and tell EAC not to write it.

Ähhm... It doesn't matter, if EAC can only write both or none, does it? IIRC there are "some" older players, that can't handle ID3v2-tags (e.g. my mobile phone).

So it's not a bug, it's a feature ;-)

Lame command line

Reply #15
Originally posted by miwalter
So it's not a bug, it's a feature ;-)

I would still prefer the hability to choose ID3v1 OR ID3v2 OR Both OR None.

For instance, in_faad can handle ID3v2 tags, but, for some bizar reason only Menno knows why, it chokes on ID3v1. For that reason, I recommend people to rip and tag with CDex when encoding with Psytel.

CDex allows choosing ID3v2 only.

Lame command line

Reply #16
It doesn't matter, if EAC can only write both or none, does it?

I like to choose myself which tag is written. Some programs default to v1 if both tags are present, so names are cut off when longer then 30 chars etc. Having mp3's with only v2 tags is the solution in those cases...

Sikke

Lame command line

Reply #17
I can only speak for myself, but I hate those only-id3v2-mp3s (and no those untagged files too), if there's no .sfv file included. There's so many broken mp3 files floating around communities that you can't figure out if they're complete or not (even after searching your ass off for tracklengths on google/cddb for the specific album). When a ID3v1 tag is added in the end of the file you can at least see if the file is complete or not. Sollution #2: everybody starts including .sfv files. But how likely is that?

Lame command line

Reply #18
I only make my own mp3s from my CDs, it doesn't seem like anyone uses lame & --alt-preset standard anyways, pretty much every single mp3 I've ever downloaded has been crap to worse than crap.

Lame command line

Reply #19
Originally posted by 12345
Sollution #2: everybody starts including .sfv files. But how likely is that?

Nearly 50-60% of the MP3-albums available in filesharing networks is provided with a .sfv. (Atleast if you use DirectConnect, and get into good hubs.... ~70% of those are lame encoded, but all with -b 192 -ms...)

But, .sfv uses only 32 bits for its checksum, which may not be enough; check my posting here  . Use md5 instead (uses 128 bits)!

Lame command line

Reply #20
Originally posted by madah
But, .sfv uses only 32 bits for its checksum, which may not be enough; check my posting here  . Use md5 instead (uses 128 bits)!

If you want to use MD5 verification files, I suggest using .par (Parchive)

More info here:

http://parchive.sourceforge.net/

Lame command line

Reply #21
Originally posted by _Shorty
I only make my own mp3s from my CDs, it doesn't seem like anyone uses lame & --alt-preset standard anyways, pretty much every single mp3 I've ever downloaded has been crap to worse than crap.

You've got to look at the right places. There's atleast one community where people only use --aps/--ape.

Lame command line

Reply #22
Originally posted by madah

Nearly 50-60% of the MP3-albums available in filesharing networks is provided with a .sfv. (Atleast if you use DirectConnect, and get into good hubs.... ~70% of those are lame encoded, but all with -b 192 -ms...)

You're talking scene releases? I'd rather stay away from them, if I could. Anyways, thanks for the md5 tip, I'll check it out.