Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Blocks. (Read 2106 times) previous topic - next topic

Blocks.

Regarding the psy switches, what is the optimal usage:
long, short or mixed blocks - quality wise.

Two additional questions: what does actually cwlimit do?
and what are the practical difference between old and new vbr?

Blocks.

Reply #1
Mixed blocks is best. New VBR is way faster but less tested. the --alt-presets use vbr-old, the --alt-preset fast settings use vbr new. Not sure about cwlimit.

Uhm... you aren't playing with your own custom switches are you?  I mean, its fine if you just want to toy with stuff, but the resulting files are going to sound like crap, FYI.

Blocks.

Reply #2
Thank you Jebus for the reply.
yes. i am toying with the command line, and my lines are not sounding bad at all.
I use to aply wavegain prior to encoding, i started to do so before 3.95/96 was in alpha
hence to the high compression atm.
i also shoose to do so, as getting as good as perfect work conditions for the encoder.
my goal (and i reckon lame dev. goal) is that the source have the frequencies and
level intact after decoding to.

by the way. usage of blocks.
for a encoder to use variations in lenght, sounds logical.
i asume  --short will be the perfect sulution. (ps. the help says nothing about default behaviour.) I was thinking about the usage of short blocks regarding music with
big variations.

Blocks.

Reply #3
The only switches to use are Preset standard (vbr old) and Preset fast standard (vbr new). vbr old is most tested, vbr new is also high in quality, faster but less tested. Custom command lines can result in degraded quality.