Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Check out this mp3 and tell me what you think (Read 2053 times) previous topic - next topic

Check out this mp3 and tell me what you think

A friend of mine and I are having a discussion about what switches to use for an mp3. The mp3 is longer than 5minutes but it must be smaller than 6MB.
As an example of "correctly" encoded mp3 he came up with this mp3 of 5minute and 5sec:

http://www.ocremix.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR01110
(click the download button and choose a mirror)

He used a command line something like this: --q=0 96 160. I'm wondering what your thoughts are about this switch/mp3.

Reply #1
Surely a bitrate averaging around 160kbps fits 5 minutes into ~6MB?

That would suggest an ABR setting just under this bitrate, or something like preset medium, would be appropriate.

I'm sure you're aware of the FAQ, the recommended settings, the newer lame encoders, and the forum for discussing music itself!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #2
I'm very aware of the FAQ and recommended settings and i told him to use alt-preset ABR. But he insists on using his own switches. He praises VBR skyhigh, but as you can see with --q=0 96 160 you get an mp3 that has 97% 160kbps blocks. I'm trying to get him on the right track, but he just doesn't wanna listen to me. I hope he will listen to you.

Reply #3
Try an ABR targetting that bitrate, and analyse the block distribution. If he likes VBR, he should like what he sees! (It depends on the audio content of course.) Remember, this is hardly a scientifically justified way of "proving" that something is better, but if it convinces him...

At the end of the day, you have to take the suggested settings on trust. If some other setting was better, someone would probably have found it (especially in version 3.90.3) - people do go looking very often, but usually they just come back to --alt-preset standard etc! For much lower bitrates it can be less clear-cut, but ABRs around 120 or 140 work very well IME. I haven't compared them to VBR around the same bitrate in the latest lame release though - in previous releases pushing VBR too low didn't work as well as using ABR to achieve the same average bitrate.

Cheers,
David.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021