Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: rip cd\'s to wav with track information (Read 4268 times) previous topic - next topic

rip cd\'s to wav with track information

What I want to do is take a lot of my cd's, and put them on a hard drive in wav format for archival purposes.  Each cd will have it's own folder.  What I want in these folders is the music files, and also another file with track information for each file,  like the track name, artist, track number, date ripped, etc...  This would be useful for ID3 tagging if I ever want to convert some stuff to MP3 in the future. The program would take the data from this file and construct an ID3 tag from it.

What would be even better would be if I could rip the entire cd to one wav file, and have infos so a program could automatically split it if needs to.

Reply #1
Why don't you use some lossless encoding scheme, like Monkey's Audio?

It saves space (up to 50%), supports ID3v1 and can use another excellent tagging system (APE tags, much better and more flexible than ID3), and the quality is the same of WAV (good for archival)

You can play the files in Winamp too.
There are binaries for Windows, Linux and some other platforms. (and the source code is available)

Best of all, it's free!

www.monkeysaudio.com

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #2
yes, yes, yes...

i agree totally with roberto here.  use monkey's audio to compress the .wav files.

setup EAC to use a pretty extensive commandline, and make a .cue file of tracks [not the entire cd!] while you rip the wav files to your hd... then go back later and compress with monkey's audio [and delete the source, obviously].

this will make burning the cd's later very easy, too...if you choose to do this

later
mike

btw. if you use tags, make sure to use only APE tags

and...lossless compression will probably average about 40%...so you better have a huge hard drive to do this... otherwise use musepack or psytel aac with archiving parameters...this will get about 82%

Reply #3
I have tried EAC in the past,  and had problems with it, like the options I select don't do what they say they do. So I have been mainly using Cdex. Maybe a newer version of EAC has improved though,  so I will give it a try..  I will also look into this monkey audio thing.  So you are saying I could save around 40 percent, and if I uncompress it, it will be a bit for bit copy of the original wav file ?

Reply #4
Originally posted by zack
So you are saying I could save around 40 percent, and if I uncompress it, it will be a bit for bit copy of the original wav file ?

Yes!