Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OGG vs Psytel AAC at Movie Audio bitrates. (Read 1332 times) previous topic - next topic

OGG vs Psytel AAC at Movie Audio bitrates.

Ok, I was thinking about starting this thread.
I'm going to do some tests between Vorbis RC3 and Psytel 2.15 at about 100kbps-140kbps. Of course this kind of testing done by one person is pretty subjective. My idea is to test few samples a day and add results here.

Just to start this thread here's the first little test done using ff123's abc/hr listening test software:

First file is 41_30sec.wav which is the first 30 seconds of #41 by Dave Matthews Band. http://www.ff123.net/samples/41_30sec.flac

---------------------------------------
Psytel AACenc 2.15 -internet 113.3kbps
Rating: 1.6/5
Comment: The whole "soundstage" is very different than in the original.
Bad problems especially with cymbals. Hihats of course not very good at this bitrate.
Increased swishing especially with cymbals. Generally quite poor sounding.
Oggenc RC3 -q 2.5 114.2kbps
Rating: 2.5/5
Comment: Backround noise sounds harsh and amplified. Hihat hits not very good, but cymbals clearly better than in the other sample.
Juha Laaksonheimo

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021