Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 at 64kbps (Read 4134 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 at 64kbps

can anyone tell me which mp3 encoder performs best at 64kbps and what arguments should be used.

mp3 at 64kbps

Reply #1
Perhaps you should use mp3PRO for that bitrate? If that's not an option, at least stick with a Fraunhofer codec -- it will give you the best quality in an MP3 file at that bitrate.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you shouldn't use the Radium hacked Fraunhofer codec, because it's old and gives crappy quality compared to a lot of today's MP3 codecs.

mp3 at 64kbps

Reply #2
If you're using mp3 because you need compatibility with mp3 hardware players and such, the LAME encoder or the current Fraunhofer build (probably included in Windows) will give you comparable quality in my book.  Mp3PRO will give better-sounding files at the bitrate you wan't, but won't be fully compatible to be played hardware that only handles mp3.  So if you're doing stuff on your PC, then I'd recommend that you go with ogg vorbis or Psytel AAC; either codec offers better sound quality at 64 kbps than does mp3.  Mp3PRO and even WMA will do better than mp3 at that bitrate (but ogg or AAC is probably your best bet)
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

mp3 at 64kbps

Reply #3
As a good discussion about Voice-Compression I can recommend the following threat:
3270 : Lame Settings For Speech?
At least, it does not exactly answer your questeion (from April  ) , but it might be usefull.. .lu