Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 16.6 Release, can't reconnect to USB 3 external drive after sleep (Read 753 times) previous topic - next topic

16.6 Release, can't reconnect to USB 3 external drive after sleep

My music library is on an external USB 3.0 drive.  If the computer goes to sleep, when it wakes Foobar does not recognize the drive. In library configuration it shows "error" next to the drive path. Rebooting seems to fix it, but sometimes the it takes a while to reinitialize the drive.  I have reverted to 16.5 for the time being. Win 10 on a Lenovo X1 6th gen. WD 2.5" drive.

Re: 16.6 Release, can't reconnect to USB 3 external drive after sleep

Reply #1
Clarification, foobar has to be running when the computer sleeps and it has to be long enough for the drive to go to sleep. I noticed the same behavior with 16.5 this morning. It appears that in the few seconds which it takes for the drive to reconnect to the computer foobar is looking for it and throws an error. I have not seen this before. Could Bubbleupnp server be the problem?

Reply #2
I downloaded a WD utility which prevents the drive from sleeping.  No chance to test it yet. I suspect this isn't exactly a bug, but rechecking for a missing drive after 10 seconds before scanning the files would fix it.

Reply #3
Turning off the drive's internal sleep timer did not help. The computer cuts power to USB after a while even though the check box is cleared in the power settings for USB and the drive. I'm going to set the machine to never sleep.  This has something to do with modern standby, I think.

Reply #4
Turning off the drive's internal sleep function and setting the computer to never sleep worked the first time. It seems to be going into some kind of low power state anyway.