Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wav files renamed in Win10pro, paste to FB2k with their original names (Read 762 times) previous topic - next topic

Wav files renamed in Win10pro, paste to FB2k with their original names

Greetings, first post here. Not sure if this is a tech or general question but I'll start here.

I've been using FB2k for years and prolly only scratched the surface of it's functionality. I don't tag files or do much more that use it for trying to organize my files with playback support. I upgraded my PC to win10pro in the last 4-5 months and, now in retirement, I've picked up a 45 transcription project that I started 5-6 years ago as a favor to a co-worker.... He was in no rush!

My workflow is: record 24bit wavs from TT to Line-In on my recorder, dump those files into Windows, open them in my Wave Editor (Adobe Audition) for cleanup and rename them manually in File Explorer.

Five years ago this process worked, under a then current version of FB and Win7pro. I'd transcribed two sessions of wavs on Dec 15th and 16th.  In Windows File Explorer I'd renamed the 12-15 work and gotten sidetracked. The Dec 16 files or the renamed Dec 15 files have not been touched since.

Today under FB 1.6.2 (and now 1.6.4). The files from Dec 15 will drag and drop into a new playlist as they appear in File Explorer. The Dec 16 files, having been cleaned and renamed yesterday in Win10pro, behave oddly.  See the attached screen shot.

All but two of the recently renamed files from Dec 16 will translate into the playlist as edited. The rest appear as the file names they originally were created with by the recorder. I first thought that file name length was at fault but clearly there are shorter files than the two who did manage the pasting process so...

I'm stumped to understand this. I've tried copying the Dec 16 folder to another HD and calling those files into the playlist from there... I've tried creating a new Playlist and attempting to populate it from each drive the folder is found. No luck.

My luck will show that this is an easy but obscure problem to fix. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to prove me right!

Thanks in advance.   
Foobar helps me "organize" my live music masters.

Re: Wav files renamed in Win10pro, paste to FB2k with their original names

Reply #1
If you right-click the files in foobar and open Properties, do they show metadata?

I've never really worked with WAV, but Wikipedia does say they can have ID3 tags ...

Reply #2
Yes, thanks, there's two lines of meta data showing. In fact I found the problem. The FB2k column heading is Title/Track artist. If I add File name as a displayed column, my renamed file names appear. Odd, the first tunes listing "correctly" don't show any meta data,  only the renamed file names.

Thanks for the nudge back to checking the properties. I appreciate it.
Foobar helps me "organize" my live music masters.

Reply #3
When the %title% field is empty, it defaults to showing %filename% instead. (Remapped Metadata Fields)

So you could clear the metadata and use %title% column again if you wanted. (Strange that something in the process added metadata after updating to W10Pro...)