Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24/96 FLAC problems, Chromecast Audio and BubbleUPnP (Read 1588 times) previous topic - next topic

24/96 FLAC problems, Chromecast Audio and BubbleUPnP

Anyone successfully managed to play 24/96 FLAC with foobar2000 and BubbleUPnP without sound artifacts on Chromecast Audio optical output?
Every 24/96 FLAC file I test, there are some sound artifacts that's not there on 24/48 FLAC files.
I have tried OpenHome and DLNA media render and pretty much every type of settings in BubbleUPnP.
I have not tried the analog output on CCA.
The same sound artifacts are present when playing same files with Plex Media Server.
I have been apart of the preview program a while on Chromecast, but still have fw 1.42.172094
https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/5205344?hl=en
I have no stutter, but there are sound artifacts, especially on high tones.
Only solution is to use DSP in foobar2000, Resampler (dBpoweramp/SSRC), and resample to 48 kHz?

Re: 24/96 FLAC problems, Chromecast Audio and BubbleUPnP

Reply #1
Not all optical outputs and not all optical cables are able to reliably transmit 24/96. So, try analog output. If analog output works as expected, problem is with optical connection.

Reply #2
I have a 1.5m long QED optical cable: https://www.qed.co.uk/qed-performance-optical-digital-graphite-audio-cable.html
But I can try the analog output. Still I belive my DAC in my active speakers are better than the DAC in the CCA.
I also have a Topping E30 DAC with optical input I can try and connect instead to the optical CCA output with the same QED cable, if this works, there is a problem with the DAC in the active speakers. I also have another cable I can try.

foobar2000 DSP: Resampler(dBpoweramp/SSRC) seems to work flawlessly at 48kHz for 96kHz FLAC file, resampling to 88.2 or 64 kHz, there is no sound.

Reply #3
I tried instead with with my Topping E30 DAC connected to the Toslink output of the Chromecast Audio, and RCA cables to my Edifier S2000 Pro active speakers, and the sound is flawless on 24/96. Display on E30 shows 96 kHz when playing 24/96 FLAC on foobar2000 with BubbleUPnP output to DLNA CCA.

So it must be the DAC Toslink input of my Edifier S2000 Pro speakers causing this problem with artifacts in sound with 24/96 input on Toslink.