Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A Couple of Lame v3.100 Questions (Read 2750 times) previous topic - next topic

A Couple of Lame v3.100 Questions

1. I've seen the LAME `-V` parameter written as `-V0` and `-V 0`. Are they the same or does the presence of a space have some significance?

2. The Hydrogenaudio Wiki entry for LAME says that `-V 0` is an alias for `--preset extreme` and that neither uses a lowpass filter. In fact, it says `-V 0` is the only `-V` option that does not use a lowpass filter. However, I have used LAME v3.100 with three different GUI apps as well as the command line and they all use a lowpass filter with `-V 0`. If I specify `-V 0` and no other parameters at all, LAME v3.100 uses the following encoder settings: `-m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-new -b 32`.

Is it supposed to be using a lowpass filter? Does the Hydrogenaudio wiki entry for LAME need to be updated to reflect the use of a 22.1 KHz lowpass filter with `-V 0'?

Thanks

Re: A Couple of Lame v3.100 Questions

Reply #1
If I specify `-V 0` and no other parameters at all, LAME v3.100 uses the following encoder settings: `-m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-new -b 32`.
MediaInfo doesn't show actual encoding parameters, it's just a guess.

Re: A Couple of Lame v3.100 Questions

Reply #2
MediaInfo doesn't show actual encoding parameters, it's just a guess.

Thanks for the info!