Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Waveform Minibar (mod) (Read 109476 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Waveform Minibar (mod)

Reply #250
Thanks for this. Looks great.

• Just wondering if the resolution of the waveform could match that of the original, it seems a little less defined?
  • Also, could an opacity setting be added to the background?
  • Perhaps an option to shade the whole waveform too?

Sorry for all the questions.

Reply #251
It's the same horizontal resolution. The vertical resolution is made up, the top one is just using a linear gradient between the rms value and the peak value.

Reply #252
@Case I have a cache issue for non mp3 files. Two files with same time lenght but different file size share the same generated waveform. I mean playing or clicking on the second one doesn't cause new waveform to be generated. Comparing them by the file name and file size should do the job.

Reply #253
Are you sure they're not otherwise bit identical to each other? Or at least similar enough to produce the same waveform data? The waveforms in the original waveform seekbar only had 4096 samples for the entire file, in the form of min/max/rms.

Reply #255
Oh no, I think it's because the seekbar doesn't support Amiga filenames like my module plugins do, so it thinks they're both named "MOD".

Reply #256
It recognizes the difference with any other two mod files. I checked filenames before.

Reply #257
It's the same horizontal resolution. The vertical resolution is made up, the top one is just using a linear gradient between the rms value and the peak value.

Would it be possible to get a linear option to display like the original? 

Reply #260
@no9 you can change the match pattern to take size into account if you wish. It's the very first configuration setting on the preferences page. The default string uses metadata + length as the anchor as I want original lossless source and any lossy encodes to share the waveform.
The two files you linked both show up with title "the first sun" without any additional metadata to differentiate them. If the "alt" variant had the alt part in its title there would be no problem.

Reply #261
Would it be possible to get a linear option to display like the original?

Small clarification, minibar actually has higher horizontal resolution than the original seekbar. Minibar stores 4096 samples where the original stored 2048 samples.
It's unlikely that I'd add an option to simulate the blurred look. I don't like it and there are already way too many options.

Reply #262
Small clarification, minibar actually has higher horizontal resolution than the original seekbar. Minibar stores 4096 samples where the original stored 2048 samples.
It's unlikely that I'd add an option to simulate the blurred look. I don't like it and there are already way too many options.
It does look more blocky but I suppose that's the natural look of the waveform.

I do like the blurred look but no worries, thanks for the explanation.

Reply #263
The two files you linked both show up with title "the first sun" without any additional metadata to differentiate them. If the "alt" variant had the alt part in its title there would be no problem.

Thanks! I didn't know what is this matching for. I  just added %filesize% to the pattern and it does the job.

Btw. I do find use for your plugin to compare such files and spot the differences (sometimes there are none). Timesaver.

Reply #264
Hello.
Is there a way to stack a couple of Minibars in a Columns UI and make them with different settings that will display different waveforms: one should show the currently playing item, and the other - selected?
It might be useful.

Reply #265
Hello, Case!
Thanks for the helpful component.
When installing the component version 1.0.44, there was a problem:
Failed to load DLL: foo_wave_minibar_mod.dll
Reason: the specified procedure was not found.

The previous version of the component worked.
How can resolve this error?
P.S. OS is Windows xp sp3 x86 and Foobar v 1.5.7

Reply #266
Sorry about that, I didn't realize Peter changed the SDK to include Vista+ API use. I recompiled with the same old SDK used for all the recent versions. I also reverted SQLite as the new one doesn't seem to offer any benefits but increases the file size by almost 100 KB.

Reply #267
Sorry about that, I didn't realize Peter changed the SDK to include Vista+ API use. I recompiled with the same old SDK used for all the recent versions. I also reverted SQLite as the new one doesn't seem to offer any benefits but increases the file size by almost 100 KB.
Thank you, dear Case!
You are amazing professional developer!

Reply #268
This is really good, Case. No messing around configuring, and it took me five minutes to "good enough" match my visuals with the setup I had with the original.

There's just one thing. In the original, I could pause the track and click the waveform to seek to a location to continue playing at without actually resuming play. Ie it behaved like a seekbar. I use this a lot for online teaching and I miss it sorely.

Could you please allow the play-on-click feature you added in 1.0.3 to be disabled via an option?

Reply #269
Thanks for creating this, it's good to have a modernized version of the old plugin with much more options!

Is there a possibility to modify this plugin somehow to only show a thin line at the border of the waveform (akin to the Direct2D style of the original waveform seekbar)?

Reply #270
A possible bug? The "draw border" option doesn't persist between foobar sessions in my DUI layout.
What I mean is, the option is still enabled but the appearance is that of no border drawn.
I have the waveform displayed directly below the top toolbar inside a locked panel.

Reply #271
Not sure how borders are implemented with this component but with my own component, one of the first things I discovered when fb2k v1.4 came out a few years back is that my own borders no longer worked.

I inherited this code from WSH Panel mod and I explicitly don't even try to enable borders in DUI knowing it didn't work.

https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/blob/33a88fd1fe8be5138469dee65abc92d7ba5b2cb2/src/Panel/PanelWindow.cpp#L333-L339

I only support them in CUI.

Reply #272
@Case, can waveform calculation be skipped when waveform minibar is not displayed? Every waveform calculation does complete decoding of entire track. It doesn't make sense to utilize CPU so much when the result is not visible.

Reply #273
A possible bug? The "draw border" option doesn't persist between foobar sessions in my DUI layout.
The Default UI overrides the component's window style nowadays. You can ignore the setting when using DUI and instead enable border for the host element. You can find the setting by right clicking a splitter in layout edit mode. The change in behavior must have come in foobar2000 v1.4, as snotlicker mentioned.

@Case, can waveform calculation be skipped when waveform minibar is not displayed? Every waveform calculation does complete decoding of entire track. It doesn't make sense to utilize CPU so much when the result is not visible.
It could, but I don't want to add that. If you make the minibar visible you would then have to wait for it to do its job. Also the main point is to let it scan the tracks and keep them in the cache so the task won't have to be done again in the future. If you don't want to use the component, disable it in the menu or uninstall it.

Reply #274
I have too many music to cache all tracks. So I set "store nothing".

I want to use the component sometimes.