Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Waveform Minibar (mod) (Read 107129 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Waveform Minibar (mod)

Reply #25
I started a new topic for External Tags. Hopefully some moderator moves related posts there.

Is it possible to work with packed files (zip, 7z or rar)?
I changed the component to allow tagging files in archives.
Dear @Case, I tested new version with zip and rar archive xm modules for edit tag - that works perfectly!
Maybe it be better to create a tag file inside an existing archive? but it's already good  :)
With pleasure I will wait for your new codes.

Thanks.

Reply #26
For that it's best to extract the archive, tag, and re-compress with the tag files.

Reply #28
Possibility to disable and enable rendering without removing it from interface would be great. It is a bit annoying when you jump quickly from one track to another and have to wait until plugin process all the data.

Reply #29
I was wondering if it would be possible to use "follow cursor" mode when foobar is not playing, and "follow playback" when it is playing?
Possibility to disable and enable rendering without removing it from interface would be great.

New version uploaded with these features implemented. The ability to halt processing is found under the Library menu.

Reply #30
Perfect!

Reply #31
@Case, I tried your new version by Waveform Minibar (mod) 1.0.15. The component progress is visible.
It's strange that you didn't react to this: Reply #2166. Maybe you just didn't see this message.
Please could you comment on the possibility of implementation.

Thanks.

Reply #32
I saw it but I had nothing to comment.

Empty UI elements suck but these components are waveform seekbars, not spectrogram visualizers. If I used streaming audio more than to quickly test something, I'd probably be more willing to hack together something.

Reply #33
@Case Can you store 'halt minibar processing' setting?

Reply #34
One more thing: is it possible to render waveform of currently played track when processing is turned on (unhalted)?

Reply #35
I thought the stop switch was for temporary use? Its state can be stored but I worry about people accidentally toggling it and then wondering why even restart doesn't fix things.

Showing results from the cache during halt is possible. I'll implement it for the next version.

Reply #36
I thought so too, but after a couple of days of using it I found turning it on and off when needed is very handy (I placed button in the toolbar for that). And it's even not an issue since Foobar is restarted only when new components update require it, and on system startup, so not so often. But having auto resume and auto play after Foobar2000 starts turned on makes every start/restart a bit longer and interface unresponsive for a moment. It is not a big deal but would be nice.
Thanks again.

Reply #37
I found that rendering of currently played track can be triggered by clicking on it's file name with CTRL key. After unhalt.

Reply #38
I love this mod! It's so fast and looks great. Thank you so much for all the work you put into it. The one thing I miss from the original waveform seekbar is the ability to display more than one channel, or even downmix the display to mono/stereo from surround/quad. I suspect the single wave display cuts down on resources, but if not, could it be implemented? Thanks!

Reply #39
The component downmixes everything to mono. It is not configurable and there are no plans to change that.

Reply #40
Is there a way so that waveform would be displayed as a column in playlist? It would be a great way to see which files are low volume, or even which are corrupted with missing data. Is there a pattern that can be used as custom column?

Also, how to use on selected files [rightclick]/Utilities/Regenerate Minibar Waveform on files that do not have waveform yet? If I use it, it starts calculation "Regenerating Minibar Waveforms". It takes a long time so it is doing something for sure, but then waveforms are not there for selected files, and wavecache.db file is not updated after it is done. Only clicking on individual files generates waveform and updates wavecache.db file. Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Reply #41
Playlist renderers typically have no ability to display non-text fields. Things like album art are dedicated features in the renderers.

For the seekbar, I've tried exposing metadata for which files have signatures or not, and it tends to be quite icky when you're not in control of the files yourself.

Make sure you're looking at the correct database file - wavecache.db is for my seekbar component, minibar.db is minibar mod's file, minicache.db is my original minibar.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #42
Wavecache.db is the database of the old Waveform Seekbar component. This component's database is stored in minibar.db.

One feature that may not be mentioned anywhere is that the scanned waveforms are only saved for tracks that are in the media library. If you test files outside library the waveforms won't pollute the database as they are only stored temporarily in memory.

Reply #43
As a tangent, the components could technically have a service to rasterise a small image of a waveform for a sufficiently competent playlist renderer, or expose the waveform dataset for someone to use.

No such playlist renderers or panels exist, and it'd definitely be out of scope of the minibars, and I don't work on my seekbar anymore.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #44
New version uploaded that implements the features @no9 wanted. Additionally there's an experimental speed monitoring feature that aborts the regular waveform processing if the average decoding speed drops below realtime speed. Library sync and context menu scanning bypass the speed check.

Reply #45
Thank you @Case. Now when it is halted the progress display disappears together with waveform. Great thing about Waveform Minibar is that whether it renders waveform or not for me it is still better seekbar than the default one. Ability to halt rendering is great when working on battery and in some other cases. Really handy now.

Reply #46
In the latest version few times randomly I got a strange behavior (pic attached).
Don't know what caused it, halt option wasn't enabled (I don't use it), and foobar was playing minimized to tray.
After I replayed the same song it started to show normally.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #47
It's probably related to the experimental feature I added. If your machine is busy and hasn't managed to decode one second worth of audio data after one second since decoder was opened, the scanning gets aborted. After that one second marker the check is constantly in use. If average decoding speed drops below realtime speed things get aborted.

You should find mention about the situation in the console. A message right after "Minibar scanning" line.

I added the feature as I had received email from someone with a slow computer telling the scanning can delay track change for ages while multitasking. He requested adding pauses for the scanning but I don't want to slow things down for everyone. My hope is that this feature serves him better.

But if you have a fast machine and it's not busy - yet waveforms fail to show - the feature is bugged.

Reply #48
Thanks Case for this modification, it's been very responsive so far. I think I've discovered a bug;
In my current layout (DUI) I have the wavebar placed in the bottom half of a panel splitter. If I lock the panel height and then close foobar, the next time I start foobar the wavebar panel expands vertically by itself.

Reply #49
Do you mean default splitters used in the DUI? Default UI calls UI pieces "elements", Columns UI uses term panels and has third party panel splitter(s) available.
The component scales itself to any panel size it is given and doesn't resize anything. If you think there's a bug somewhere I need more clear instructions.