Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best file sharing tool (Read 10158 times) previous topic - next topic

Best file sharing tool

Reply #25
@ joe

i would HIGHLY recommend that you check out EAC.  it provides a more accurate cd rip when used right and should offer all of the aspects of CDex that you like...

if you have been in search for high quality audio compression, i think you found the right place...

i believe that the issue of "which is the superior compression format" is a non-issue, at least at HA.org...almost all will tell you that:

MPC is the best format for quality above ~160kbps, with NO support
OGG is the best format for quality below ~160kbps, with the HOPE of support
MP3 is the best format for compatibility, with low-quality but GREAT support

the mpc community is growing, as well as the ogg community...so i would seriously consider either of those as an alternative [i can't believe i said "alternative"] to LAME MP3

the only drawback to MPC  [which is well-known] is that it completely lacks support [of hardware players]  other than that, it is by far the best format to use...and if you need file-sharing, then direct connect will allow you to share [upload/download] mpc files with a large community [aqua]

you need to realize that it took the internet's popularity to boost mp3 from a seldom-used format into the gigantic black hole it is today...give mpc and ogg half that time and i guarantee that the compatibility issue will be null...

however, if you are still bent on using mp3, then lame --alt-preset extreme is what you should be using [opinion] and for the same bitrate/size you get an MPC --extreme or --insane [tweaked] file with an incredible increase in quality...

once i found mpc it seemed kinda ridiculous to go back to mp3, unless i was encoding something for a friend of mine...but in those cases, it took me forever to convince them to use lame instead of Xing, and i think they would hate me forever if i made their lives more complicated than they think it already is...which is kinda humorous to me...

Best file sharing tool

Reply #26
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. That was very helpful. I  encode via CDex with Lame at pretty high bitrates -- usually vbr's averaging around 220 or a cbr of 320. I've tried to configure EAC once, with a tutorial mind you, without much success, so i went back to CDex.

However, you've convinced me to give MPC a go. I'll check the other boards here for the answer or you can post again:
1 - where do i get it, and
2 - what do i play it on (winamp plugin, i hope)

Thanks again, i really appreciate your help. If you are any indication of the attitudes of most members here, then you are absolutely correct in saying that i've "found the right place"
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right

Best file sharing tool

Reply #27
for most of the files you will need, and a quick run down of why you'll need them check out MUSEPACK.org at:
http://members.aol.com/pumpkinz99/

the current maintainer/developer of MPC is Frank Klemm.  His website is THE resource for information on mpc, as well as the fact that all software [encoder/decoder/replaygain] for mpc will show up there first, considering he is the one creating it...
http://www.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/

a great resource for various audio compression programs is rjamorim's site [a member of this forum] which is
http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/

i just threw together a site, which is completely inferior to a hole in the wall as of now, but i hope to work on it some more, soon...
http://xmixahlx.cjb.net

you will need the plugin ".90k" for winamp.  it works very well.  there is also a plugin for Media Jukebox - alot of folks use the beta8 version of that...hence the need for a primary plugin.  NOTE: many other audio players will work exceptionally well with the winamp plugin...such as XMplay [which i like to use sometimes] you can find the plugin and all downloads at Frank's site, Musepack.org, or my site...

Best file sharing tool

Reply #28
Originally posted by Joe Also
1 - where do i get it, and
2 - what do i play it on (winamp plugin, i hope)

en-/decoder and winamp plugin can be found at www.musepack.org.

regards; ilikedirt

Best file sharing tool

Reply #29
Originally posted by Volcano
Thanks for your replies!

(Benjamin, you were talking about the trippymx server list, weren't you?)

Trippy has been off the air for a couple months now. Try this. It creates new nservers.dat files. Works GREAT for 2.6:D

http://napmx.darkservers.net/

Best file sharing tool

Reply #30
Yeah, Benjamin has told me about it via ICQ already. Thanks anyway, kennedyb4

Dominic

Best file sharing tool

Reply #31
I've tried to configure EAC once, with a tutorial mind you, without much success, so i went back to CDex.

I know that feeling. I think EAC is too clunky and difficult to configure and I'll avoid it until the usability issues are fixed. I have used CDex in paranoid mode to rip hundreds of albums and really can't recall the last time it has produced a file with clicks, pops or other annoying sounds. It's been very reliable, unlike EAC, which draaaaaags when it employs error correction.

Best file sharing tool

Reply #32
i love it... 

how off-topic do you think we can get this thread to go?  without it being moved, of course...

Best file sharing tool

Reply #33
Originally posted by xmixahlx

how off-topic do you think we can get this thread to go?  without it being moved, of course...

Ha ha! Yeah, i didn't think about it but i guess i did kinda monopolize the thread for a while and steered it off course too. But thanks for everyone's help. I'm really enjoying the board and i hope i can offer something here in return.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right