Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: All wavs to flac or leave wav? (Read 18391 times) previous topic - next topic

All wavs to flac or leave wav?

Reply #25
AFAIK foobar2000 doesn't send these extra metadata from WAV file to FLAC encoder. And it doesn't read them from FLAC when it decodes FLAC to back WAV.

Reply #26
Definitely no reason to leave them as wav. If you're concerned about compatibility, FLAC is the way to go. If you want to save even more space, consider TAK.

OK. May be it is better to use a more common code.

If it's a complete CD rip, you could also use CUETools to repair the files if the corruption is small and the CD is in CTDB. I've had some music files go corrupt due to bit rot and so far I managed to repair all of them with CUETools.

I didn't know that one can repair corrupted files with CUETools, good to know. Mostly it is not the entire CD but pieces of it.
Newest stable foobar, portable | Win 7

Reply #27
The "foreign metadata" and RIFF chunks could be an issue in the sense that there are (or at least have been some) applications X that do not properly recognize non-audio written by application Y as non-audio, isn't it so?

Out of sheer paranoia, I would

- make a list of what applications have ever touched these files (beware that Windows Media Player would sometimes both touch, finger and fist your metadata without asking first)

- consult google (and hydrogenaudio) to find if there could be any issues related to these

- try to convert to disk A: with application A, and to disk B: with application B; then use application B to bit-compare A: to original, and application A to bit-compare B: to original

- open a few random files in various applications to see what tags have followed

Reply #28
Why so much effort dwelling over foreign metadata?  Has there been even the slightest suggestion that the OP's wave files are tagged with anything at all, let alone information he would even wish to keep?

The OP stated that these waves were created using either nero or EAC over a decade ago. Having used both of these programs during that time period I know for certain that neither would have tagged those files.

Reply #29
Thank you, Porcus,

Yes, I would do it like you say. But as greynol says, it is very unlikely that there are tags in these files. And even if I would lose some of them I automatically - I assume at least - could add / download them by using a program like MP3tag or so.
Newest stable foobar, portable | Win 7

Reply #30
Is there any further advantage of converting wav files to flac (or just the one to need less space)?

Another advantage of converting to FLAC is that it is capable of storing ReplayGain data.
AFAIK, WAV is unable to do it (am I right?).

Reply #31
Hello,

One concern with FLAC that I have run into (on an older unit) CD players is that it would play FLAC level 5 (default) just fine but would not play when compressed at a higher level. 

As file space saved with the higher compression is no longer much concern with 2 terrabyte disk drives cheap now, I just use FLAC at the default setting (5).  FWIW.

Regards,
Greg

Reply #32
I have a large collection of music stored on my NAS. It was ripped from CDs, losslessly, using an iMerge s3000. This saved the music as .wav files, using a naming convention that is not meaningful to me. It also created some .jpg files (artwork) and some .xml files, again with meaningless names.

I have copied all the files from the iMerge to a NAS. My Sonos can play the music OK, but ignores the .jpg and .xml files.

I recently converted all the .wav files to .flac using dBpoweramp. All went well. The Sonos plays the .flac files no problem.

But how do I access the artwork and associate it with the appropriate CD?

Reply #33
But how do I access the artwork and associate it with the appropriate CD?

So you have JPEG files in the album's folder, but not embedded, and therefore Sonos ignores it? (I know nothing about whether Sonos displays embedded art either, or folder.jpg, or anything.)
What you are asking for, is an automated way to embed to each FLAC file every .jpg in the same folder?
(Is there more than one .jpg in each folder? Are there both .jpg and .jpeg? Any naming pattern like front.jpeg / back.jpeg / artist.jpeg?)

Reply #34
It's slightly more complicated, sadly. Everything is in one big folder with odd names.

As an example, one of the .xml files is named AudioAlbum-00fcd212-aadb-44f3-9ce2-7e7411334c70.xml.
One of the .wav files is named AudioMediaItem-0b650f79-1a7a-40c0-bdff-64e419fd6f06.wav
One of the .jpy files is named ImageMediaItem-fe08a5b0-251a-46bb-bc01-e4ee2826cc8e.jpg

Sonos seams to ignore the .xml and .jpg files now they're on the NAS (no artwork shown by Sonos), but it does know which album the .wav track belongs to.

Reply #35
Sonos seams to ignore the .xml and .jpg files now they're on the NAS (no artwork shown by Sonos), but it does know which album the .wav track belongs to.

That tells me that somehow there must be an ALBUM tag perhaps.  If all the files are in the same folder but SONOS knows which songs constitute an ALBUM, that's good news.  You can then use some software to batch convert the ALBUMS into separate subfolders by Album.  That would be a good start to cleaning things up.  You might look at dbpoweramp and the [ARRANGE AUDIO] DSP.

Reply #36

That tells me that somehow there must be an ALBUM tag perhaps.  If all the files are in the same folder but SONOS knows which songs constitute an ALBUM, that's good news.  You can then use some software to batch convert the ALBUMS into separate subfolders by Album.  That would be a good start to cleaning things up.  You might look at dbpoweramp and the [ARRANGE AUDIO] DSP.

Thanks. That was enough to set me off on the right track. What I've done is the following:

1. Converted all my .wav files into .flac files using dBpoweramp Batch Converter. I did a Lossless Level 5 Conversion and chose dynamic output location as [album]\[artist] - [track][title]. This organises and labels the tracks nicely.

2. I deleted my existing .jpg and .xml files (produced by my iMerge S3000, now redundant).

3. I used MuvUnderCover to find artwork. It worked really well.

Reply #37
Perfect. Glad that worked well for you.