Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playlist tabs showing artist & name? (Read 2786 times) previous topic - next topic

Playlist tabs showing artist & name?

Hi everyone,

I've heard that when you have a .rar file containing a one file music album with embedded .cue file and you drag & drop
it into foobar2000 and do the drop move where a new playlist tab would appear, that then a new playlist tab appears, which not only contains the music file but also isn't named 'new playlist (x)' but 'artist - album' - and that information is supposed to be pulled out of the embedded .cue file.
This sounds great, because if you have 10 playlist tabs open, all containing an album of different artists, then you loose the overview and have to click through all playlist tabs, in order to know where your stuff is.

But my question now is: Is there also such an effortless way to create a playlist tab named after the respective artist and album, if the input file is not a .rar file containing a one file music album with embedded .cue file, but a .rar file containing a separated tracks music album with a separated .cue file?

To my understanding the .cue file within a .rar file only gets recognized, when it's embedded to the music file, as foobar only pulls out the music file out of the .rar file.

In case it doesn't work with a .rar file containing a separated tracks music album with a separated .cue file, do you see any workarounds to achieve having meaningfully named playlist tabs when using a .rar file containing a separated tracks music album with a separated .cue file? Maybe by a special way of ripping and packing?

Reply #1
The automatically chosen name of a new playlist depends on the set of tracks which are dropped onto foobar2000. It should not matter at all whether the tracks are in a directory, a RAR archive, in multi-track files or in single-track files.

This sounds great, because if you have 10 playlist tabs open, all containing an album of different artists, then you loose the overview and have to click through all playlist tabs, in order to know where your stuff is.
You can rename (or remove) playlists at any time.

Does this answer your question?

Reply #2
Yes, it does, actually. Thank you. And additionally I've found out, that meaningful playlist tabs even appear with .rar-files with seperated tracks and .cue sheet. The point is: You need to drop the file fast enough.
If you just hold the file for a while above the place where a new playlist tab would appear instead of dropping it instantly there, the function comes into effect, that a 'new playlist (x)' appears after a while in which you just hold
the file instead of dropping it. So, instantly dropping solves the problem in all cases I've tested so far.

Reply #3
Now a little problematic twist appeared:
When I wanna see named playlist tabs I simply drag & quickly drop the .rar file there, where the next playlist tab would appear, and it works - no matter if the .rar file contains the music album as seperated tracks or one complete image. But... I've realized, that essentially all my .rar files of my computer are files of my digitalized music collection.
So then it's just logical to set up .rar files on the system as files, which are started by foobar2000 by default. So - double click on the file - next thing happening is foobar2000 opens and opens a new playlist tab. The problem now is, that the double click approach causes the same problem as mentioned above: The playlist tab loads with the music album, but just has the name 'new playlist (5)' instead of 'interpret - album name'.
Does anyone has a clue how to make foobar2000 not only correctly name a playlist tab by this drag & quickly drop approach, but also by the double click approach?

I've spend 2 hours in web research regarding this in vain. One search result looked pretty promissing but after all turned out to not be the solution, as well: It said, that one has to go to foobar2000 -> File -> Preferences -> Media Library -> Album List and there change selected the drop down menu option of section 'Action: Double-click action', but changing anything there seemed to have no effect on my machine... at least regarding the problem...

Another problem - but it's really just a side problem - is, that after double-clicking the .rar file foobar2000 not only opens and opens a meaninglessly named playlist tab containing the music album, it also additionally instantly starts playing, and that's something I don't really appreciate and rather would switch off if I knew how...

Today morning I've updated my foobar2000 to foobar2000 version 1.3.8, but that didn't help with these both problems, either...

Reply #4
The alternative user interface Columns UI has the ability to customize naming of new playlists based on matching titleformatting between tracks (at least for drag and dropped or 'send to playlist' tracks).

But why don't you just set up (and/or use) a library viewer within foobar instead of browsing your library using explorer? Sounds horribly inefficient to me. And rar files? They create more problems than solve any.

Reply #5
I use default Column UI, because I hate overloaded UIs. That's just distracting from the album you're listening to, if you ask me.
I can't see any difference between browsing one's music library by foobar2000 or a well sorted explorer folder structure.
And .rar files have recovery features. I've already lost old recordings, which had no recovery data, and don't feel like experiencing that again,
but that's not the point: The question is, how to make foobar2000 open a playlist with the interpret and album name, when double clicking a music album.

Reply #7
Today I've gone to 'File > Preferences > Shell Integration >' and ticked the box 'Always send new Files to Playlist:'
and changed the entry 'default' into stuff I hoped to be interpreted as variables for artist name and album name:

As one can see, this caused at least an improvement:
With that changes performing a double click on an album to get it into foobar2000 at least
creates a new playlist for the album instead of overwriting an existing playlist.

Unfortunally even after this change the name of the playlist tab practically still is meaningless
and the playlist tab starts to playback automatically. Regarding the name I've changed
the entry 'default' in the option field 'always send new files to playlist' to several other things,
which I have taken from this website here:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title...tting_Reference
But as you can see, unfortunally, foobar2000 always understood the entries literally, and not as
variables, which should change depending on album selection.

Have I just typed in the wrong variables, or is this one field not 'programable'?

Reply #8
I use default Column UI, because I hate overloaded UIs. That's just distracting from the album you're listening to, if you ask me..

There's nothing overloaded about CUI. You may CHOOSE to overload it by inserting countless UI elements. That applies to DUI as well.

I can't see any difference between browsing one's music library by foobar2000 or a well sorted explorer folder structure.

Genres come to my mind first. Suppose an artist produces a perfect split between two (or more) genres. How do you decide where to put it? What if you later forget where it is? With thousands of other artists to keep in mind you can easily do that. Searching for name directly doesn't work if you only remember that 'it had elements of genre A in it', either. Suppose you'd like to listen to genre A. Your artist was a perfect split of genre A and B, but you decided to put it in B. So despite is has a lot of genre A in it, it now gets no exposure. Isn't that weird?

Suppose you use stuff besides your usual Genre/Artist/Album structure. Ratings? Favorites? How can I choose only a portion of my library that is a mishmash of selective tracks ranging across all genres, artist and albums in a reasonable timeframe? A proper library viewer offers the power of choice in approaching your library. I'm not implying everyone absolutely must use it and you are free to use whatever you desire. But in my experience a rigid, static directory structure falls apart pretty quickly even under casual users. They can manage without, but their life would be a lot easier with the tools a library viewer can provide.

Put constant alt-tabbing on the list, too.

And .rar files have recovery features. I've already lost old recordings, which had no recovery data, and don't feel like experiencing that again.

I hope you have mirrored drives running, then. Anyone who's concerned about backing up stuff can tell you that anything running on a single drive, be that rar or not, is as good as dead. If you do use mirrors with regular syncing, the rars are probably not necessary. If you are randomly losing data on a drive, I'd observe that device very closely. If it started losing data, there's a very good chance it will get exponentially worse.

The question is, how to make foobar2000 open a playlist with the interpret and album name, when double clicking a music album.

Seems like it's not possible. Your only option remain is to drag and drop the files in which case the playlist is named accordingly in both DUI and CUI.

Have I just typed in the wrong variables, or is this one field not 'programable'?

As your test concluded, that field does not accept titleformatting, so you are most likely out of options.

Reply #9
First of all, thank you for the answers. Awesome.

I have to admit, that to large parts I'm also relying on DUI, because I'm completely overwhelmed by all the things you can do with foobar2000 UI and my understanding of all of that is pretty small and what I've seen so far
didn't seem to be that useful for someone like me who is pretty satisfied with DUI, except for some thinge here and there.

You probably are interested in how the genre issue can be handled pretty well without foobar2000, because it's not that bad like you assume:
You have all interpret folders stored in one 'music' folder and additionally you store the folder '_genres' in it - the '_' makes it be listed right at first.
When you click on the '_genre' folder, you see a couple of basic genre folders you've created, like 'rock', 'electronic music', 'jazz'.
And the trick now is to create short cut folders of all interpret folders and place the short cut folders in appropriate genres - wikipedia is a good help for this decission making process.
And if an interpret belongs into 4 genres according to wikipedia and you agree, then create 4 short cut folders and place them into the appropriate genre folders.
And this principle also is applied to more detailed view: When you click on a genre folder like 'rock', you will find the short cut folders of all rock interprets in it, and additionally the folder '_sub genres',
and when you click on it, you see all the sub genres as folders, so stoner rock, progressive rock, jada jada jada.

By this you have 2 choices, either browse by name, or by genre.
The genre browsing fully displays an interpret across genres like you basically can see it in the summary box of a wikipedia site of an interpret.
And the nice thing is that at every spot you have the option to stop diving deeper into genre world and simply click on an interpret.
The only weakness with it spotted so far is, that by this you can't click on a genre folder like 'heavy metal' and use search function (word: 1972) for having displayed all albums across heavy metal interprets, which were released in 1972, because the search function goes not into short cut folders, but only original folders.

Thank you for the advice regarding drives. Haven't made that connection. I back up once a year.

How/Where does one make feature requests for future foobar2000 versions?
Put a 'make that field accept titleformatting' feature request into action would be a low hanging fruit, which is considerably big...

Reply #10
Sounds like an awful lot of manual work is required to keep that up.

Compare that to inputting all vital data about the tracks in the files themselves in a single step. They can then be freely moved around or reorganized at will with foobar into the format you prefer automaticallY. Something you'll utilize when adding them to your library, which would be a lot worse if would be needed to be done by hand. Once they are inside the library, foobar will read all that data and present it to you in any format you prefer and any further adjustments will take minimal effort.

With your method you are essentially creating the structure around your data by hand that could be built automatically built and presented for you by a program such as foobar. It's a timesink that you could completely eliminate. It's probably fine with a couple hundred albums, but I'd go insane if I had to do this all by hand for my library.

And besides that you are still giving up on special filters such as the ones that show you only your favorite tracks/tracks that haven't been played/rated yet/anything else you can think of, in any combination with the existing usual ones (genres/artists etc). The important part is that all of this can be done on the fly without work required from you once the basics were set up.

Obviously if your method works for you I won't be one to stop you from using it, but I wouldn't consider it a reasonable solution at all for my needs. It's hard to explain how much more flexible and efficient a well-tagged and nicely set up library viewer can be compared to just using explorer (with any kind of tricks you can come up for it). I used to do the latter, but it became apparent quite fast that that was a battle that could only be lost without proper tools as the library started to grow on me.

How/Where does one make feature requests for future foobar2000 versions?

Not sure if there's an official channel for feature requests per say. But generally speaking, posting on these forums will most likely reach the developers' ears if it's something they might consider doing

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021