Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Passive bi-amping with AVR (Read 98756 times) previous topic - next topic

Passive bi-amping with AVR

Reply #50
An engineering fellow told me that the separate amps in the AVR may run cooler, or that there may be a better and more even distribution of heat.

What would that have to do with sound?
I've already linked you to the only possible benefit, full clipping spectra or low passed clipping spectra. Key being "clipping", you would have to drive the amplifier into some form of non-linearity. Which is possible.

I would say nothing that is worth the trouble, but enough for someone that we both know to make a big thing about it on AVS. ;-)

You referring to jj's thoughts on the subject? He would tell RichB the same thing I did. Depends.

cheers,

AJ

Okay then, so AVR bi-amping is not a complete waste of time. If you drive the amp into some form of non-linearity prior to bi-amping then its possible for it to make a difference in those conditions.

Reply #51
My engineering friend read the thread but nods his head. He says, and I'm paraphrasing : bi-amping into loudspeaker cross-over filters, means that when one amplifier is working the other one is not. It is the same as connecting the amplifiers in parallel (theoretically), thus in essence having one amplifier only. There is however the point of headroom. When the peaks of a l.f. and h.f. signal happened to occur simultaneously, the voltages add, which will not happen with separate amplifiers. Thus a bi-amping system will have a higher headroom capability.

Reply #53
My engineering friend read the thread but nods his head. He says, and I'm paraphrasing : bi-amping into loudspeaker cross-over filters, means that when one amplifier is working the other one is not. It is the same as connecting the amplifiers in parallel (theoretically), thus in essence having one amplifier only. There is however the point of headroom. When the peaks of a l.f. and h.f. signal happened to occur simultaneously, the voltages add, which will not happen with separate amplifiers. Thus a bi-amping system will have a higher headroom capability.

That is true for active biamping, because the amps receive different signals. With passive biamping the amps receive the same signals. When one clips, so does the other.

Reply #54
He says, and I'm paraphrasing : bi-amping into loudspeaker cross-over filters, means that when one amplifier is working the other one is not. It is the same as connecting the amplifiers in parallel (theoretically), thus in essence having one amplifier only. There is however the point of headroom. When the peaks of a l.f. and h.f. signal happened to occur simultaneously, the voltages add, which will not happen with separate amplifiers. Thus a bi-amping system will have a higher headroom capability.

Both amplifiers are working and outputting the same voltage, the same fullrange signal... As for current and power, well, the LF amp will maybe have to deliver a dB less because instead of the tweeter it will see the increasing impedance of the low-pass filter.
It's only 1-2 dB or so because the spectrum of music behaves a bit pink noise so power falls off about 3 dB per octave.

The HF amp needs to output a lot less power, but needs to be running so overall efficiency will be (quite a bit) lower.

Clipping due to running out of voltage swing will be identical in both amps, again because both amplify the same signal. Only in terms of power you can gain the aforementioned dB.

This is why it's called fool's bi-amping, because if you run into clipping you should simply buy a better amp that will give you a lot more headroom. In case of an AVR I see no problem, but also little advantages.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #55
He says, and I'm paraphrasing : bi-amping into loudspeaker cross-over filters, means that when one amplifier is working the other one is not. It is the same as connecting the amplifiers in parallel (theoretically), thus in essence having one amplifier only. There is however the point of headroom. When the peaks of a l.f. and h.f. signal happened to occur simultaneously, the voltages add, which will not happen with separate amplifiers. Thus a bi-amping system will have a higher headroom capability.

Both amplifiers are working and outputting the same voltage, the same fullrange signal... As for current and power, well, the LF amp will maybe have to deliver a dB less because instead of the tweeter it will see the increasing impedance of the low-pass filter.
It's only 1-2 dB or so because the spectrum of music behaves a bit pink noise so power falls off about 3 dB per octave.

The HF amp needs to output a lot less power, but needs to be running so overall efficiency will be (quite a bit) lower.

Clipping due to running out of voltage swing will be identical in both amps, again because both amplify the same signal. Only in terms of power you can gain the aforementioned dB.

This is why it's called fool's bi-amping, because if you run into clipping you should simply buy a better amp that will give you a lot more headroom. In case of an AVR I see no problem, but also little advantages.

Is your explanation valid for passive bi-amping using separate power amplifiers or for AVR bi-amping? Or both?

Reply #56
Both.

Reply #57

So if both amps are outputting the same voltage and signal then there is a theoretical advantage of 3 db. But the tweeter won't make use of the extra power because it doesn't need it and hence it is a waste of power = worse efficiency?  So only the woofer could benefit in such a scenario?

And the only way to make use of this theoretical benefit is if there was sufficient voltage swing from the amp and assuming the speaker could handle the extra output without thermal compression taking place? Am I on the right track?

Reply #58

So if both amps are outputting the same voltage and signal then there is a theoretical advantage of 3 db.

No there is an advantage of less than 1 dB and then only if you driving the amp to clipping all of the time, which is is neither realistic nor significant.

In real world use, as you have been told several times already Rich, there is zero, zip, nine, nichts, nada significant real world benefit.

Reply #60
So if both amps are outputting the same voltage and signal then there is a theoretical advantage of 3 db. But the tweeter won't make use of the extra power because it doesn't need it and hence it is a waste of power = worse efficiency?  So only the woofer could benefit in such a scenario?

And the only way to make use of this theoretical benefit is if there was sufficient voltage swing from the amp and assuming the speaker could handle the extra output without thermal compression taking place? Am I on the right track?

No, both amps output the full-range signal, so signal-wise there is no advantage.

The woofer requires most of the power, so if we remove the HF part (which is usually connected in parallel) then the LF amp has to provide a bit less power. That's where the small power advantage comes from including the protection of the tweeter from LF clipping.

As for efficiency: Usually the higher the output power of the amp, the higher the efficiency.
The HF amp will output the same full-range signal, but it will need to output much lower power than the LF amp.

This is also goes hand in hand with your other topic. 7 amps outputting 40W each (280W total) at 80% efficiency will draw a total of 350W. 2 amps outputting 157.5W each (315W total) at 90% efficiency will also draw 350W.

Reply #61
No there is an advantage of less than 1 dB and then only if you driving the amp to clipping all of the time, which is is neither realistic nor significant.

But how did you calculate less than 1 dB??? It seems people are saying there is no headroom benefit so then how do you reach that conclusion?

Reply #62
In real world use, as you have been told several times already Rich, there is zero, zip, nine, nichts, nada significant real world benefit.

Well, it depends on what you mean with significant.

A dB can make an audible difference in corner cases.

Reply #63

Well, it depends on what you mean with significant.

A dB can make an audible difference in corner cases.

Well let's look at this situation.

The 1 dB benefit might be actually be 0.5 dB or less. YMMV.

The benefit is only audible when the instantaneous power levels are just under clipping which can easily be 0.0 % of the time.

The alternative is to buy a new, larger, and presumably far more  expensive power amp.

How significant is this?

Reply #64

But how did you calculate less than 1 dB??? It seems people are saying there is no headroom benefit so then how do you reach that conclusion?

I estimated  the change in voltage dropped across the output stage due to offloading it by putting the tweeter on another amp.  There will be a finite decrease, but it will be pretty small.

Note that zero is a possible value for "less than 1 dB".

Reply #65
I did a simulation with speaker models found here:
Design of Passive Crossovers
using the "2dB L-Pad Attenuator" crossover network but without the zobel correction (which would just turn the power 'advantage' into heat).

A logarithmic 1s long sweep from 20Hz - 20kHz results in:
1.3 dB less power output from the LF amp
5.6 dB less power output from the HF amp

This is with 100% efficiency and no losses.

Reply #66
I did a simulation with speaker models found here:
Design of Passive Crossovers
using the "2dB L-Pad Attenuator" crossover network but without the zobel correction (which would just turn the power 'advantage' into heat).

A logarithmic 1s long sweep from 20Hz - 20kHz results in:
1.3 dB less power output from the LF amp
5.6 dB less power output from the HF amp

This is with 100% efficiency and no losses.

What does that mean in English? 

Reply #67
This means that "1 dB more power" is a good estimate of what to expect.

Reply #68
I estimated  the change in voltage dropped across the output stage due to offloading it by putting the tweeter on another amp.  There will be a finite decrease, but it will be pretty small.  Note that zero is a possible value for "less than 1 dB".

Even if you establish it is indeed a solid 1 dB difference it is still pointless in real world use of music or movie reproduction. By the time you go through the rigmarole of switching from a passive bi-amped configuration to a single amp configuration [Don't forget, part of this requires walking over to each speaker and reinserting the jumper straps. That takes time.] you will have completely forgotten that exact level. Sure, people can hear volume changes of 1 dB, even less under the right circumstances, but what they can't do is photographically memorize it and then minutes later recall it perfectly when they compare the other amp setup.

Here's an analogy. Sorry but yes, it uses cars. ["Ugh!" many will say, "Not another one!"]  Although there are many circumstances where a person can easily detect a time interval difference of .1 second, here's a scenario where I bet they can't: comparing the 0-60 mph acceleration times of two cars, one being 10 seconds and the other being 9.9 seconds. By the time you stop, get out, and then run into the other car to test how fast it accelerates your perception of that overall time period has faded. They, the two cars, will seem to be about the same.

Arny, please help me out here. Can you please cite for us ABX studies for level discrimination which inserted time delays of seconds or better still minutes between evaluations? Acoustical memory for exact level is fleeting.

Let's ignore this passive bi-amp discussion for the moment and talk about plain old stereo amps. If I give a listener two, unmarked amps with identical gain factors , black boxes, which have a real deal 1dB difference in maximum output power, and challenge them: "Without using an oscilloscope or any other test instrumentation, using ear alone and only using dynamically changing music, not continuous test tones or say sustained Theramin tones (to cheat, since it mimics a sustained sinewave), please determine which amp is stronger, by disconnecting one and then switching to the other. [This switching will be a bit easier and faster since there is no manipulation of jumper straps.] THEY CAN'T DO IT and will fail to distinguish between the two, 9 out of 10 times.

Reply #69
AJ, since this is the more appropriate thread, let me get your take on things for a second opinion (no offense to mzil, at all!). What do you think of the Onkyo AVR binding posts for high and low? Most AVR's don't have designated high frequency/low frequency binding posts. Anything of interest there, or more marketing nonsense?

Again, mzil please don't take offense, I'm just asking another member for his view on things. Thanks.

* I get the feeling that some members are more dismissive about passive bi-amping than others. Arnyk is very against it, but others here feel it *may* have some merit in some conditions, but no further explanation has been given yet.

Reply #70
No offense taken.

Rich, I believe I am even more dismissive of it than Arny, by the way. And any sighted test of it which doesn't preclude expectation bias is worthless and pointless.

Do you realize in the over half century we have had consumer speakers sold with separate inputs for tweeter and woofer sections of the crossover legs [done for other reasons which are valid], not a single study has ever shown anyone, anywhere, using any material they wanted, including test tones, noise, etc., that can tell a difference with passive bi-amping?

Is passive bi-amping ever used in in the pro world? In sound reinforcement, etc.? Nope. Never. Theaters? Public address systems? Testing by Sean Olive, Toole, or anyone in any scientific published study of anything, at all? Nope. What does that tell you?

Reply #71
The small technical advantages were actually described.

I still wouldn't recommend it in general, but as I said before, I see no harm in giving it a go with your AVR.

Reply #72
Let's pretend ... "Wow, look how much louder I can [effectively] now play the music thanks to passive bi-amping" is extremely narrow* before you hit a brand new, but different road block.    When the tops of the waveforms start to flatten, the onset of clipping, not only have you reached the limit of that amp's clean sounding range you also have reached the end of its music amplification. Going any louder with the main preamp's volume knob will increase the tweeter amp's output, but all that happens with the already distorting woofer amp is an even flatter, nearing square wave shape to its waveform. It doesn't play the music more loudly like it should. Your overall system's highs are successfully increasing in level but your lows are maxed out so the spectral balance of the music will become too bright (treble heavy/bass shy).  So how much louder can you play a system before you notice the tweeters are playing at a higher level than they should be, compared to the woofers? I'm thinking 1 dB, maybe even less with the right material.

Arny, since you own oscilloscopes and line out converters, I don't, would you please confirm or deny that say a 1 kHz  test tone itself [not its spurious distortion signal] at the point that it clips coming out of a power amp no longer gets any louder as you continue to increase the incoming preamp signal even more. All that happens is you get lots of extra distortion and other grunginess but the top of that waveform's amplitude pretty much stays put (or at least starts to become severely compressed from where it should be), as it gets flatter and flatter, but you cant say the amplitude is correctly tracking the input signal level anymore. Correct?

Reply #73
Arny, please help me out here. Can you please cite for us ABX studies for level discrimination which inserted time delays of seconds or better still minutes between evaluations? Acoustical memory for exact level is fleeting.

There were never any formal studies, but our general impression was that as long as we kept the switch over muting period under a second or maybe stretching a bit two seconds, listener sensitivity was relatively unaffected.

The www.pcabx.com ABX Comparator allowed the user to set switching delay in tenths of a second. I think you can still download it from the Wayback machine. It needs a VSBASIC run time module, but it should still run. I seem to recall that if you set it for much over a second, most people wish they hadn't. Their listener sensitivity goes to #&!! in a hand basket.

There is a long discussion of this issue in "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Levitin, written a number of decades later, which comes  up with a similar result based on perceptual research.

Reply #74
Arny, since you own oscilloscopes and line out converters, I don't, would you please confirm or deny that say a 1 kHz  test tone itself [not its spurious distortion signal] at the point that it clips coming out of a power amp no longer gets any louder as you continue to increase the incoming preamp signal even more. All that happens is you get lots of extra distortion and other grunginess but the top of that waveform's amplitude pretty much stays put (or at least starts to become severely compressed from where it should be), as it gets flatter and flatter, but you cant say the amplitude is correctly tracking the input signal level anymore. Correct?

Many audio editors including CoolEdit Pro and Audition do a very good job of simulating clipping if you amplify a 16 bit waveform. They also have analysis modules that will report the RMS value of any waveform. I think this combination of tools shows exactly what you want to show, and it does show exactly what you want to show.  Once your sine wave gets to be clipped hard enough you have a square wave whose amplitude is FS no matter how much you amplify it, and therefore can't get it to be any louder no matter how much more you amplify it.