Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Missing masstagger (Read 10720 times) previous topic - next topic

Missing masstagger

Love foobar2000.

But since 0.9.5.1, they decided to no longer include MASSTAGER (you can still install as a component).

This is IMHO the worst decision, as the new "tagger" is nowhere as powerfull as the original.

I just hope they keep updating the masstager component.

Missing masstagger

Reply #1
Love foobar2000.

But since 0.9.5.1, they decided to no longer include MASSTAGGER (you can still install as a component).

This is IMHO the worst decision, as the new "tagger" is nowhere as powerful as the original.

I just hope they keep updating the masstagger component.

i suggest you have a look around on the foobar forum first, as more people have "noticed" this before actually looking around the new/reworked UI and finding out where the different functions are to be found now. (in somewhat more logical places, some might even argue)

anyway, the masstagger component is still available, if deprecated.. so i really don't see your point.

Missing masstagger

Reply #2
I suggest you have a look around on the foobar forum first, as more people have "noticed" this before actually looking around the new/reworked UI and finding out where the different functions are to be found now. (in somewhat more logical places, some might even argue)

I know where the new options are, and i have even tried them. They can not do 50% of what i can do with masstager.

anyway, the masstagger component is still available, if deprecated.. so i really don't see your point.

My point is that is sad they have decided to deprecate one of the most compelling reasons, at least for me, to use fb2k.

Thankfully at this time, i can install the component by myself, but i wonder when it would no longer be compatible.

Missing masstagger

Reply #5
What functions do you miss?

I have many scripts i use to normalize my tags, for example:

%artist% = $trim($caps($replace($lower(%artist%),á,a,é,e,í,i,ó,o,ú,u,à,a,è,e,ì,i,ò,o,ù,u,â,a,ê,e,î,i,ô,o,û,u,_, ,  , )))

remove all values except for: artist;title;album;tracknumber;genre;disc;date;byme

format title using %title% '('%artist%')'

How would you do that with the new options, and be simple accessible over my right button.

Missing masstagger

Reply #6
$caps2(x)
%artist% =
$trim($caps($replace($lower(%artist%),á,a,é,e,í,i,ó,o,ú,u,à,a,è,e,ì,i,ò,o,ù,u,â,a,ê,e,î,i,ô,o,û,u,_, , , )))
these still require masstagger.

remove all values except for: artist;title;album;tracknumber;genre;disc;date;byme

Properties Window, Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+click each wanted field, Press Delete

Do you mean format filename using %title% '('%artist%')'?

If so, File Operations ->rename to...
elevatorladylevitateme

Missing masstagger

Reply #7

If so, File Operations ->rename to...

There are cases where we might want to format title using title and some other field. Examples would be when adding (feat. ) information or appending things like (live), or (remix) to the end of the title.

However, all this can be done using the properties dialog.

Also, kwanbis, have you tried $ascii(x)? It can do the replacement of all those characters with umlauts and accents automatically.

Missing masstagger

Reply #8
There are cases where we might want to format title using title and some other field. Examples would be when adding (feat. ) information or appending things like (live), or (remix) to the end of the title.

Also, kwanbis, have you tried $ascii(x)? It can do the replacement of all those characters with umlauts and accents automatically.

Yeah, the "Format from Other Fields..." dialog is pretty handy.
elevatorladylevitateme

Missing masstagger

Reply #9
$caps2(x)
%artist% =
$trim($caps($replace($lower(%artist%),á,a,é,e,í,i,ó,o,ú,u,à,a,è,e,ì,i,ò,o,ù,u,â,a,ê,e,î,i,ô,o,û,u,_, , , )))
these still require masstagger.

I can see

Properties Window, Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+click each wanted field, Press Delete

All that clicking is no near as fast than just running a pre-wrote script.

No, i want to add the artist name, between () at the end of a song, like "whenever, whenever (shakira)".

exactly

Properties dialog is SLOW.

To be honest, the NUMBER 1, thing that drove me to fb2k, was the speed and usability of the masstager.

If it not for it, i would probably still be using winamp + the godfather.

No, i would check it.

You mean i can replace $replace($lower(%artist%),á,a,é,e,í,i,ó,o,ú,u,à,a,è,e,ì,i,ò,o,ù,u,â,a,ê,e,î,i,ô,o,û,u,_, , , ))" with $ascii($lower(%artist%)) right?

Again, handy, but slow. I have to click much more times.

Missing masstagger

Reply #10
You mean i can replace $replace($lower(%artist%),á,a,é,e,í,i,ó,o,ú,u,à,a,è,e,ì,i,ò,o,ù,u,â,a,ê,e,î,i,ô,o,û,u,_, , , ))" with $ascii($lower(%artist%)) right?
)[/li][li]create the script[/li][li]run it[/li][li]edit the script if it did something wrong[/li][li]run it...[/li][/list]
To be honest, the NUMBER 1, thing that drove me to fb2k, was the speed and usability of the masstager.

If it not for it, i would probably still be using winamp + the godfather

Again, handy, but slow. I have to click much more times.
Yes, I've gathered that you like the exact implementation of Masstagger. But for most people, the properties window/foo_fileops is easier to use. It's less automated, but it also is much less overhead. And when title formatting IS required, it's nice enough to show previews, so that files don't get mangled by poorly written scripts. I doubt Peter will do anything that breaks mass tagger any time soon, given it's popularity among power-users. However, he has created something much more usable for most people in every situation. And it's not unrealistic to expect power-users to DL something separate is it?
foo_fileops / properties window is as "powerful" as masstagger, in the sense that it can do 99.99% of everything mass tagger does, so your original point:
This is IMHO the worst decision, as the new "tagger" is nowhere as powerful as the original.
...isn't quite accurate. You just haven't taken the time to investigate it's possibilities.
elevatorladylevitateme

Missing masstagger

Reply #12
I really wish that the DEV will just merge the thing in to one, so everyone will be happy.

Both of them (masstagger,properties page) have there strong point. Arguing about it is kinda pointless IMHO since masstagger still work so what's the problem? Once masstagger "break" sometime in the future (if that happen) and no another tool with same capable were given then go ahead, I will join too.

Missing masstagger

Reply #13
What's wrong with some of you people?
Masstagger still works, as for now there are no plans to introduce changes that would render it useless. I'm just not interested in adding new features or fixing bugs in it, hence it's not maintained anymore.

PS. Very few people prefer the Masstagger way of doing things over what you get with the Properties dialog. I don't want new users to try it before they've tried the Properties dialog, it's pointlessly complicated and requires way too much clicking for simple tag editing tasks.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Missing masstagger

Reply #14
No, i want to add the artist name, between () at the end of a song, like "whenever, whenever (shakira)".
Seems kinda silly that you'd want to do that to your tags, honestly. But yeah, if you had to, "Format from Other Fields..." would do it.

I do this because i name VA cds like this. For example, lets asume i have this VA CD:

SONG_ARTIST_1 VA_ALBUM Track1_TITLE
SONG_ARTIST_2 VA_ALBUM Track2_TITLE
SONG_ARTIST_3 VA_ALBUM Track3_TITLE

I like to name them like this:

VA_ALBUM DATE_OF_ALBUM_AS_ALBUM_NAME Track1_TITLE (SONG_ARTIST_1)
VA_ALBUM DATE_OF_ALBUM_AS_ALBUM_NAME Track2_TITLE (SONG_ARTIST_2)
etc.

Probably not for you, but for 95% of people it's faster (see below) and a heck of a lot easier.

I can agree with EASIER, but not with faster, once you have the scripts prepared. Not even close.

Yeah, now that you have your scripts already created, it takes fewer clicks, making it "faster". But for someone new wanting to do something they have to:
  • Digest the title formatting language (which may or may not be a small task, heck even you didn't know about $ascii()  )
  • create the script
  • run it
  • edit the script if it did something wrong
  • run it...

And i applaud Peter's decision to make it easier. But i wish both are maintained, because as of now, masstager IS compatible, but one day it may not be.

Yes, I've gathered that you like the exact implementation of Masstagger. But for most people, the properties window/foo_fileops is easier to use. It's less automated, but it also is much less overhead. And when title formatting IS required, it's nice enough to show previews, so that files don't get mangled by poorly written scripts. I doubt Peter will do anything that breaks mass tagger any time soon, given it's popularity among power-users. However, he has created something much more usable for most people in every situation. And it's not unrealistic to expect power-users to DL something separate is it?

Again, i'm not against simplifying for the newbies. Me myself have changed MAREO many times, so it gets easier for the people.

I just wanted to raise my hand and say, "hey, i love masstager, please, don't deprecate it".

Masstagger still works, as for now there are no plans to introduce changes that would render it useless.

I'm glad to hear that.

I'm just not interested in adding new features or fixing bugs in it, hence it's not maintained anymore.

I assume you are also a power user, may i ask if you also prefer the new way than the masstager then?

Very few people prefer the Masstagger way of doing things over what you get with the Properties dialog.

Haven't done any poll, but i can assume you are right.

I don't want new users to try it before they've tried the Properties dialog, it's pointlessly complicated and requires way too much clicking for simple tag editing tasks.

Hehe, but you make me try it and learn its language

Missing masstagger

Reply #15
Masstagger is faster for automation, yes. For general-purpose tag editing, however, the Properties dialog is lightning-quick. The Masstagger can't really compare there.

They each have their niche. Masstagger still continues to work, so no need for panic. If Masstagger gets dropped for some inexplicable reason, I'll be among the first to start whining. But it's still available and still as awesome as ever.

Missing masstagger

Reply #16
They each have their niche. Masstagger still continues to work, so no need for panic.

I agree with you on that ...

If Masstagger gets dropped for some inexplicable reason, I'll be among the first to start whining. But it's still available and still as awesome as ever.

I just wanted to raise my concern, cause if nobody does, then Peter would assume we are all happy without masstager, and could wrongly assume that if he drops it, nobody would miss it.

Just that.

So yes, i'm VERY HAPPY it still works.

Missing masstagger

Reply #17
Call me stupid but . . .

... where can I find the MassTagger now?

Missing masstagger

Reply #18
Erh, long time no see you're here. It's on foobar optional component official page.