Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HA's take on "growing-pains" (Read 5759 times) previous topic - next topic

HA's take on "growing-pains"

Greetings,

reading the negative threads about HA's current situation, i'd like to express a different view of the past, current situation, and maybe the future.

I for sure am not the most experienced person here when it comes to communities, be it net or RL, but i think i've seen alot comms rise and fall. HA is the only community i saw yet, which managed to go through a period of fast increasing userbase(and probably still is in that period) while keeping most of its level. Of course that needed and still needs unusually strong enforcements of its principles, and of course - that was to be expected - many new and some old people here don't like it - still, i have to say "hats off" for the HA-staff and its veterans daring to do this.

Because of this, i just feel that i want to say "thank you" to the ha-community, because i know that it isn't easy to do that - really not - as i said, i haven't yet seen a community sucessfully doing such a thing. Also, even though i sometimes don't agree with some decisions, i'd like to say "thank you" to the mod- and admin-team which seems to have nerves of steel.

The situation may not be the best one right now - but at the same time i think its a quite good one when looking at the circumstances.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #1
I completly agree with the above statements: well said.

I must add that, even if I subscribed to this community only recently, I read the forums since a looooooong time before and that there is no other single place from where I got so much qualified information about digital audio technology.

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #2
Thanks so much guys! It really is nice to see some positive feedback also.
Helps motivation too, which has been a bit down for me personally recently.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #3
Here's another sincere thank-you to the HA.org hit-takers.

Reply #4
Absolutely.
Thank you to all the guys who know an obscene amount about Audio for sharing it with us on HA. This is easily the best most knowledgable and balanced internet forum I have ever seen. Thanks to the moderators and community for a very useful and often entertaining resource.

Reply #5
Let's add another spoon to the soup then...

I'd like to thank the admins/mods as well on my side, you're work is appreciated here...  I can imagine this is quite a living hell at times keeping this place clean and tidy like you are doing now...

So, without too much poetry here, I'd like to express my appreciation to this site and it's prefessional approach to things... and THANK YOU (what caps lock?)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #6
Another me too. Thank you all! You've changed how I listen to and hear music in many, many ways. And from what I've learned here, many of my friends are listening to much higher quality encodings of their music as well.

I will issue a challenge to others who feel as I do.

Subscribe.

I just did and feel that the amount I paid is small recompense for what I have received and learned here.

Again, thank you and please know that there are many of us normally silent lurkers out here who will always be in your debt.

Glenn

Reply #7
I agree with everything above, but I would like to add that I especially appreciate your efforts to make sure everyone comply with TOS #8. Softening-up on the enforcement of that particular rule, would be a great loss, and I'm sure people that don't appreciate the scientific approach can find some other place.
IMHO admins and moderators do an impressing job, so keep up the good work, all of you! 

Edit: Replaced "admins" with "admins and moderators" as that's what I ment to say in the first place.

Reply #8
me 2 ... i love HA ... i'm almost adict to it

by the way ... what i DO think, is that we need to work out the most asked question in some other way ... it is obvious that we are giving too much info for newbs.

Reply #9
I've got  to say a big "Thank You" to all the people involved with HA, especially the moderators and the developers. I have learnt a lot here and I have seen people come up with some wonderful ideas and implement them-all towards a very noble cause which holds no personal rewards. I signed up on these forums a loong while ago. I still come here at least twice a day. Do I need to so more about how much I love this place? It wouldn't have been possible without you guys. Thank you so much. I love you all. Bye.

Reply #10
+1 lurker that gets tons of good knowledge here.  Keep up the good work.

Reply #11
I'm one of those quiet people that lurks in this board, but I want to thanks the admins and the people who contribute with his knowledge that made this board what it is now. 
edit: minor spelling correction

Reply #12
I also agree with the above statement.

HA.org is one of the few forums I've seen that actually is a community, hence members of a community must act accordingly, with respect, and come with proof when making claims.

I for one have matured whilst being an HA.org forum member by thinking what I'm about to churn out on my keyboard before the whole world has a chance to see what I've written. People who know me from previous (now dead, and unmentionable) forums, and other forums know how hot tempered I am and how rude I can be, however HA.org as thought me some lessons, such as; Rules are needed to keep things orderly, and civil.

Reply #13
I'm very glad that this place exists.  I've learned a great deal from Hydrogenaudio, and I'm very grateful for that.  I owe most of the knowledge I've gained to HA's existence.

Reply #14
Count me in - thanks for an outstanding community.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #15
Kudos to HA.  I never thought I could learn so much from a forum on the internet.  All this has become quite a hobby for me and the HA community is a wonderful place for me to find information, advice, and anything else I could think of...

Reply #16
Hai,
I have been silently reading and absorbing the material here for the past several months. Great reading and down to earth advice for those who ask nicely.
Thanks to everybody for a great forum.
Please keep up your good work for this silent majority !
Rigapada

As you sow, so you reap!

Reply #17
Definitely +10 to an excellent run board here. Props to all admins/supporters.

--Grant

Reply #18
Well this is a very nice forum but I usually like to just read & learn 
An eye for eye will make the whole world blind

Reply #19
I've never found such resourceful place.  Thank You all very much.  With HA I would've never found FLAC and Lame. 

Thanks Everybody, execellent work.

Reply #20
Thanks to all the Admins/Mods/Supporters for your great work!

HA changed my life! 

Reply #21
I'd have to agree. HA is really THE site for audio news, and I really appreciate all the mods and regulars who post here. I think there are quite a few of us lurkers who depend on HA more than most realize. Just because you get some flack (flac?  ) from some of the more prolific posters doesn't mean that your efforts are in vain.

Without HA, I never would have realized how much placebo comes in to play with audio, and the importance of a scientific approach for overcoming such ideas. Without HA, I never would have thought to even try anything other than MP3. I was convinced it was the best, and kept myself in denial about any alternatives. Without HA, I never would have even known that things such as MPC and FLAC exist, and I wouldn't have been able to keep up with the progress of MPC and AAC as I do now.

This is really one of the few forums that I think of the members as people instead of faceless posters in "the internet". I think that is the major reason I like this site; it truly is a community here.

Thank you, Hydrogenaudio!

</sappy-mode>
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Reply #22
i'd like to throw in a big thankyou too.

a more lax forum would mean thousands of people having to wade through endless bullshot to get to a small kernel of fact.

ABX cuts out the crap, and the ulterior motives that come to play in Hi-Fi mags etc.  if somebody asks a question here, they will have a _correct_ answer very quickly (even if that answer is a simple link to the TOS item on ABX).