Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Downmix 5.1 to stereo or use direct stereo? (Read 4540 times) previous topic - next topic

Downmix 5.1 to stereo or use direct stereo?

Hi. I have this DVD which has audio in both 5.1 ch and "Stereo Surrond". I am going to rip this to XviD in order to watch it on my PC with stereo headphones. Which sound format will be better? I guess using the stereo directly is much better compared to downmixing 5.1 channel audio to LAME--aps stereo. What do you think?

Also, in case of stereo, shall I include the ac3 stream itself or convert to mp3? Will a movie with ac3 sound play on any media player (for example, Windows Media Player) without any additional software? Thanks.

Reply #1
Using the 2-channel version should be safe but if you want to have some fancy stuff like pro logic, you should do your own downmix.
Playing ac3 stream in media players requires you to have ac3filter or some other decoder installed.

Reply #2
Thanks. I think I will use the stereo sound. I don't know azid switches to convert two channel sound to mp3. I am going to use Lame --aps. Please tell me what the azid switches should be. Thanks again.