Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A way to save a M3U8 file with original EXTINF and etc created by EAC. (Read 1371 times) previous topic - next topic

A way to save a M3U8 file with original EXTINF and etc created by EAC.

Hi folks,

Originally I ripped all my CDs with EAC and tagged it to create a M3U8 file. I lost some of these files but when foobar2000 creates them, it doesn't recreate like EAC does, with EXTINF entries and numbers seconds that constitutes the song. Is there any way? Foobar2000 only piles the filenames up on top of each other, with a starting # sign as first line.

Is there any way to recreate these EXTINF entries in new M3U8 files?

Some CDs I ended up missing, so I won't be able to place them in the drive and tell EAC to recreate it.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Re: A way to save a M3U8 file with original EXTINF and etc created by EAC.

Reply #1
This was recently requested, and a built-in function for adding time, artist and title as EXTINF (for Winamp) now exists in Foobar 1.4.3.

Preferences -> Advanced -> Tools -> Write EXTM3U playlists.

Reply #2
Hi

It worked like a charm.
Just one little thing that wasn't implemented is the colon. There happens to have a colon after the EXIINF string as in "EXINF:" in the EAC created files. foobar2000 is just adding a space. I hope it's not a bug. But this is excellent.

Thanks.

Reply #3
The bug is confirmed. Playlists from Winamp and Xmplay have a colon before the duration, and the extinf without it is ignored by Winamp. I also made a typo here suggesting how to make a list with Text Tools.

For now you can work around it by editing the playlists with search & replace in a text editor. Looks like a simple hex patch in the exe fixes it. Maybe this should be changed/fixed in the next Foobar version by Peter.

Not many players use the extinf though, and the playlists are a layer of complexity that you have to remember update when you change the referenced files (along with other small sidecar files).

Reply #4
Сhecked in PotPlayer - also ignored without a colon after #EXTINF

Reply #5
OK
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
Hi again,

The bug is confirmed.

Great, so this was a bug. I think it will be resolved in the next version then.

For now you can work around it by editing the playlists with search & replace in a text editor.

Yeah. That's what I've done for now.

Maybe this should be changed/fixed in the next Foobar version by Peter.

I'm sure he'll work on it.

Not many players use the extinf though, and the playlists are a layer of complexity that you have to remember update when you change the referenced files (along with other small sidecar files).

True. It's just that I have my rips in an "immutable" way after ripping, so this is handy to recreate the exact similiar M3U8.

Thanks Peter, j7 & Sergey77