Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What NERO AAC setting do you use? (Read 5934 times) previous topic - next topic

What NERO AAC setting do you use?

I'm asking people who use NERO AAC for what setting is transparent for them.

I mainly listen to indie-ish bands, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, et all. Some classic rock, a little classical as well. I will mainly listen on an ipod, but I don't want a portable encoding, because I just want one set of AAC files for everything.

So, what setting and bitrate do you use?

Reply #1
I usually go for -0.35.  I guess that could be lowered a little for indie stuff, maybe 0.3?

Reply #2
I'm asking people who use NERO AAC for what setting is transparent for them.

I mainly listen to indie-ish bands, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, et all. Some classic rock, a little classical as well. I will mainly listen on an ipod, but I don't want a portable encoding, because I just want one set of AAC files for everything.

So, what setting and bitrate do you use?

I guess if you didn't care about size you wouldn't be asking and just go for mega fat bitrates like many do on audiophile forums.

I would take the popular 128k setting which does well in listening tests and aim a little higher for 150..180 k. This is what I do with LAME mp3 and would do the same with AAC .. You will have files of reasonably high quality for portable and quite HI-FI listening.

Reply #3
-q 0.25 -lc

Based on my hearing and music selection. I only use the -lc switch because I use iTunes and an iPod touch, both don't support HE-AAC so it's pretty pointless without it in my situation.

Reply #4
Currently I don't use Nero AAC at all, because of this, but I think they'll have that solved in the next version.

Reply #5
Currently I don't use Nero AAC at all, because of this, but I think they'll have that solved in the next version.

I had a problem just like that on the latest version. Also the Feb 2007 version has a incorrect track length bug that effects QuickTime, GStreamer and XMMS FAAD plugins. So am stucking with LAME 3.97 -V 2 --vbr-new even if i  have a few troubled tracks at -V 2 --vbr-new, but i found q 0.55 to be better then LAME -V2 on my tracks that i can ABX at V2.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"