Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is CELT? What is a .CELT file? How to convert it! (Read 14915 times) previous topic - next topic

What is CELT? What is a .CELT file? How to convert it!

I've read around on the internet in so many different places about CELT being a very quick and efficient audio format ( 1.3 ms to 24 ms anywhere from 32-96 kHz) and I have recently run into some .CELT files that I need to somehow convert into regular .wav files ( and vice versa ).

I've already attempted multiple ways of doing this - with most ending in failure. I managed to obtain about 5 different WIN32 versions of CELT and none of them are able to convert my .celt file into a .wav file.

I tried the decoder function (while in the command prompt, of course): celtdec input_file.celt  output_file.wav

but it never seems to work. I even tried making the input file a .oga file ( I read somewhere this would work) yet still the same old error message: "This doesn't look like a CELT file." appears every time I try this in any of the versions.

I know I look like an idiot new-comer to the forums, but I really need some serious help!
If anyone has experience with CELT/ the CELT decoder/encoder your help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
Where did you get those .celt files?

CELT is a part of Opus now. It went through many bitstream changes until around mid 2011 or a little bit before. celt-tools (and later opus-tools) encode and decode with a OGG container (with .oga file suffix**).

So to sum up:

* We don't know if those .celt files you have are real.
* If they are real, we don't know when they were created (what bitstream version is used) and how they are contained.
* CELT is a part of Opus now. Look for Opus's latest code in http://git.xiph.org .

** One of the developers seems to like the .opus extention. But that's very new:
http://git.xiph.org/?p=users/giles/opus-to...0737d5952e35d2f

Reply #2
** One of the developers seems to like the .opus extention. But that's very new:
http://git.xiph.org/?p=users/giles/opus-to...0737d5952e35d2f

An .opus extension makes only sense, if the file has no OGG container and is the plain codec stream (as it is with .aac) or it has a minimal container like .flac or .mp3 that makes the file easy to handle.

Other than that, it makes much more sense to use Ogg/Opus before anything.

Reply #3
Thank you for all the information you provided. I was completely unaware that celt was called opus now.

I obtained the other tools you provided in the previous link, but I was wondering how to compile them properly.

I know the language is C and I already have several compilers, such as MSVC.

Also, I should have made this link available in my previous post. It is the link to some of the .celt files I mentioned from before. You could download and take a look at them if you want. Maybe even be able to get them into a .wav file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l4joqrbx4jw3c0a

Thanks again,

EB

Reply #4
Like 2012 said, you should probably go back to the source of the files and investigate how they were encoded.

Reply #5
No info on this front?
I'm interested in it as well now. I have raw CELT file without headers and such and I would love to convert them into PCM WAV.

Reply #6
libcelt was a predecessor to Opus, before SILK was integrated and the two were combined into a hybrid codec. It also had its own Ogg bitstream format. Those .celt files are likely to be Ogg files containing libcelt streams in the last known specification. A good sign is the first packet containing a magic signature starting with "CELT". These files are in no way compatible with either Ogg Opus or the Opus codec.

You can try your luck with FFMPEG, but you'll need a version with libcelt support compiled in.