Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: External Tags (Read 81220 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: External Tags

Reply #100
That should already work. The original intention of the component is to function as a fallback for formats that don't support tagging. Since foobar2000 can't tag W64 itself the component handled it. If you wanted to create external tags even for formats that do support tagging it could be achieved by moving "External Tags (writer)" higher up in the decoder list in Preferences.

Reply #101
I uploaded a new version to my site. The component has too many changes for me to be certain I didn't break something so it's not on the official component repository yet.

There are now settings under advanced preferences to control use of APE tags, SQLite database or @Anakunda 's request of combined folder.tags file. By default only APE tags are used so it should behave like the original version.

Majority of old APE-tag code has been re-engineered to hopefully be faster and less buggy. I hope @Porcus can verify that multitrack files work properly now.

There were other bug fixes too, like a fix for foo_fileops crash the component caused when encountering Access denied-error.

Reply #102
@Case, thank you for new version!
It seems that v 0.9.9 doesn't display $info(tagtype) for HLS links.
Please check it. Thanks!

Reply #103
Have you perhaps only added art to the stream without using "Edit External Tags"? The tag loader only checks external metadata presence which could explain the missing tagtype.

Reply #104
I checked the behavior of the two versions, while my actions are the same.
I'm not trying to add art to the stream. I just add the HLS link to the playlist, then apply "Edit External Tags".
v 0.9.8 displays the tag type for HLS. Here is the link for testing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #105
I see the tagtype can be missing if the external tag is left blank. That issue is solved for the next version. If it's missing even when there's tag data I'll need to do more testing.

Reply #106
If it's missing even when there's tag data I'll need to do more testing.
I see the tag type when there's data in tag.

Reply #107
This 0.9.9 version somehow doesn't work as expected. Regardless of which of Prefer folder/APE tags, write stream tags to SQLite, read all three tag types/Use only folder tags is selected, the Edit external tags doesn't create the external container nor any further metadata change is applied.
The last plugin from fb2k components repo did work almost as I wanted (except support for folder tags as backup option if file streams aren't avail).

Reply #108
The prefer options will use the preferred tag-writing method when creating new external tags for a file. If something else already exists it will be used. When using one of the "only" methods then only the chosen option will be used for both reading and writing.

Reply #109
Version 1.0 released. Fixed inability to save empty tags in APE and folder tags, fixed ReplayGain writing to folder tags, added album art support for folder tags and ability to change the folder.tags filename.

Reply #110
Version 1.0 released. added album art support for folder tags
Trying version 1.0, I'd say almost perfect. All issues from 0.9.9 seem be gone, this new feature doesn't work -> folder.tags exist -> Tagging, Attach pictures -> albumart is physically written to audio files

Yet I ask for explanation how exactly does "Wrap to External tags" work.

Reply #111
The wrapping changes the file or stream links to force them to be handled by the component.

Without wrapping if you try to add cover art to a format that has working tagging the built-in art handlers see the supported file extension and External Tags will never be called. And if you try to add art to a stream the request is silently ignored.

Wrapping works around these problems by hiding the original file extension and protocol for the playlist entry. Link file://c:\path\to\music.ext is turned into exttag://(file://c:\path\to\music.ext).

Reply #112
The good:
I can no longer reproduce any multi-track file issue.  Tried both per-file tagfiles and per-folder tagfiles.

The not so good:
fb2k seems not to recognize all the external tags when I choose "folder". It leaves a few files in every few folders as a hit when I search by "%__tagtype% MISSING" or by "NOT %__tagtype% HAS External". Doing that search:
- some disappear if I ask fb2k to "Reload info from file(s) if changed".
- Of the remaining: some disappear if I repeat that.
- All the remaining disappear if I "Reload info from file(s)".
However, it did happen on at least one occasion that some reappeared after restarting fb2k and searching again; not instantly, but gradually while it was updating the library. (I have enabled both Rescan on startup and Monitoring.)

Running: beta 6.

Reply #113
Thanks for testing. Bug in loading optimization sometimes thought tag for a directory was loaded when it wasn't. Should be fixed in just released 1.0.1.

Reply #114
If you apply “Attach pictures” after “Edit External Tags” for the HLS stream, the tag type will be missing again (only if the external tag is left blank).

Reply #115
Fixed in 1.0.2.

Reply #116
Case, thank you for 1.03 just installed!  And thanks for maintaining the options for all users to continue using External Tags according to their own needs, however modest (as in my APE-only use).  Some developers end up losing the base functionality in an attempt to offer more advanced user options;  you maintain both :)

Reply #117
^ I join to the said.
Case,
please, take a look at the following: after applying the "Wrap for External Tags", the foo_yutube component stops opening the video (for HLS, YouTube links) only the sound is played. Thanks!

Reply #118
The YouTube component must have some checks to only activate video playback for normal playlist entries. It's better to keep those unwrapped.

Reply #119
The YouTube component must have some checks to only activate video playback for normal playlist entries. It's better to keep those unwrapped.
Ok, quite acceptable to me. I will use as sveakul written Reply #87 for the foo_youtube component.

Reply #120
A bug found on ET 1.0.3:
Applying external tags on CUEsheet + image randomizes the tracks order in playlist, otherwise in properties are sorted.

Reply #121
By "applying" do you mean creating external tags or the commit function that writes the external tags back to the tracks?
I can't imagine either doing anything like that unless you use auto-sorted playlists and the names change. Creating external tags doesn't touch playlist, committing will alter playlist in case externally tagged file was wrapped behind exttag:// protocol. The wrapping is removed and file is placed in the playlist at the same position the original file was at.

Reply #122
Applying = Creating, and I don't use any auto-sorting.
The tracks order has changed and can't say if only visually or physically touching the playlist order.

Reply #123
Can you replicate the weirdness you see? foobar2000 doesn't alter track orders on normal playlists and the component doesn't have any playlist code for external tag creation. I suspect something else is going on.

Reply #124
Could it be you got confused about what order is mixed? To support the new folder-based tagging I call foobar's sort function to sort selection by path so that consecutive tracks will use the same folder.tags file for maximum speed. With image+cue that will alter the metadata order it shows in properties but it doesn't affect the actual order in playlist.