Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Tags - Parental Ratings - Do Not Play Options? (Read 2399 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Tags - Parental Ratings - Do Not Play Options?

I would really like to use a tag on the FLAC file to somehow assign a variable parental rating to each file. Is there an existing method or means of doing so? I don't have a specific range of ratings in mind just yet, but presumably something more than just the old "Explicit" labels. This would ease choosing music for little kids to listen to and make it easy to transition to more advanced concepts as they age.

A further thought is regarding files I may only ever want to listen to intentionally. Perhaps an instructional audio recording or the language lessons that probably don't make sense to come up in typical random playing. Is there such a tag? I could picture using a genre, but there are also some rips that I have no desire to listen to the entire CD, but I'd rather not separate the tracks.

[I am just getting back into ripping our audio collection, which is something I stopped doing when we had kids. My current digital collection is a mix of MP3 (oldest rips), WMA Lossless (newer rips), and some misc iTunes formats.

I am now re-ripping everything in FLAC, and preparing to convert WMA Lossless rips to FLAC. ]

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Re: FLAC Tags - Parental Ratings - Do Not Play Options?

Reply #1
You could just assign genres such as Children's and Teen.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #2
You could just assign genres such as Children's and Teen.

The problem I see is the overlap. Doing this results in a single classic rock album having mixed genres. For example, Stevie Ray Vaughan has several recordings that would fit the "children's" category as far as appropriateness, but I can't picture classifying them as such in their genre tag.

Reply #3
The problem I see is the overlap. Doing this results in a single classic rock album having mixed genres. For example, Stevie Ray Vaughan has several recordings that would fit the "children's" category as far as appropriateness, but I can't picture classifying them as such in their genre tag.

Some players, like Foobar, handle multiple genre values. Using Foobar, you can also add a custom tag to songs via the properties sheet of the selected tracks. Just right click the Metadata column.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #5
There's also Foobar's skip track component ~ https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_skip
and Masstagger if you want to add many ~ https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_masstag

Nice, that skip track feature looks promising.

I'll check the FLAC specific tags to see what flexibility there is for custom tags.