Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: advice needed on pc-audio setup (Read 1283 times) previous topic - next topic

advice needed on pc-audio setup

Hi,
I was happy with the following setup for several years: I played flac files using foobar on a PC connected to a pre-amp passing through the signal to a 35-years-old Threshold power amp and a pair of ProAc SuperTowers at the end of the chain. Quite old, but good enough to make me happy. The system was used to hear music a lot, but lately I use it more and more for watching movies, playing (ISO images of) blurays and DVDs with Cyberlink PowerDVD. This is limited to stereo of course but I would like to have surround sound now. So I bought a pair of ProAc Super Tablette (small) speakers. Now I'm a bit confused how to proceed and would appreciate any thouhtful advice.

In short, here's a list of hardware I have and what I want.
* PC as source (no special audio card atm)
* stereo power amp
* old (stereo only) pre amp
* a pair of large speakers
* a pair of small speakers
* a tape deck

I'd like a setup where I can still hear music plus watch movies using surround sound (4.0? - from my point of view there's no need for a subwoofer, but maybe for a center?). I see the following options, but maybe I'm missing something.

1. buy a new amp (and sell the old stuff)
2. buy a new pre-amp and a second power amp

If a new amp (1) is the way to go, should I buy a multi-way amp or a receiver?
If 2 is ok, could a PC sound card do the pre amp job?

Hints to specific equipment would be great. Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I don't want to spend more than 1K Euros. I don't need the latest surround thing with speakers from above etc.

Re: advice needed on pc-audio setup

Reply #1
You can get a very, very good AVR for well under your budget. If you get one in the 500 euro range you could even use the excess for modest surround speakers to build out a full 5.1 or better surround system.

You indicated a PC as the source. What kind of audio outputs does it have available?

Reply #2
Yes, especially if your PC or video card was bought in the last, say, 7 years or so you're better off with a multichannel AVR and using HDMI. What's your PC hardware and monitor?

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick replies.

The motherboard is an Asrock H67M-GE/HT with 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec). On the back there are 5 audio connectors: 1. Central / Bass [Orange], 2. Rear Speaker [Black], 3. Line In [Light Blue], 4. Front Speaker [Lime], 5. Microphone [Pink] plus Optical SPDIF Out Port.

ATM I use the Front Speaker [Lime] connector to connect to the pre amp and HDMI to connect to the projector.

Reply #4
I agree that an AVR is your best choice.    You can connect the computer to your AVR via HDMI.  (Then HDMI out of the receiver to your projector.)

You'd probably pay 5 to 10 times as much for a separate preamp & power amp, and you won't get the center channel or the surround encoders, and you'll be missing a bunch of other features.  And, you'll have money left over for a center speaker, and a sub if you want one.

If you are using your computer and it's analog outputs, you don't need  the surround decoders, but if you ever wanted to connect a DVD/Blu-Ray player or TV, you will need decoders in your hardware.   But, using separates with surround is difficult and "awkward".  

I assume your soundcard has a utility to downmix from 5.1 to 4.0, but it seems kind of silly to skip the center channel...  The center is where all of the movie dialog is...

Also, a normal downmix doesn't include the "point one" Low Frequency Effects channel.   That may be OK for you because the 5 main surround channels contain normal bass, but you'll be missing some of the extra from "booms & explosions".      (Most home theater systems use an optional AVR feature called bass management that routes the bass from all 6 channels (or more) to the subwoofer.)