Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Biography Discussion (Read 230458 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Biography Discussion

Reply #200
That's great ! Thanks !!!

Reply #201
Hi, great script! There's a way to automatically save artist art inside the track directory? With %artist%.* name? Like album art... or the foo_uie_biography...

Reply #202
Automatically saving artist art inside the track directory is not recommended because:

1) Won't work with all music types, e.g. radio streams and YouTube tracks, since there won't be a valid folder location
2) May duplicate artist images in several locations, e.g. if you have more than one album by the same artist

However, you can set the save location to what you like, e.g.
Code: [Select]
Image [Artist] Folder Location=$directory_path(%path%)\%BIO_ARTIST%
Set using right click > menu > sources > server settings > edit biography.ini > save > restart foobar2000. The example, or something similar, may achieve what you asked. But it involves using %path%, which along with other path related functions, is not recommended because of the save incompatibility with radio streams etc. But if you know you never going to play such sources or similar... Choose a folder location that doesn't contain any other images, since all images are loaded from the set folder. Accordingly, to maintain specificity the script won't save to folders where other images pre-exist. The save filenames for the images are automatically generated and cannot be changed.

Reply #203
Oh well, thanks!

Reply #204
New Version: JScript Biography 0.8.4

CHG: Custom save locations. Improved file save parser: now supports conditional paths and folders
CHG: Various optimisations

@Black_Over_Bills_Mothers. Feature requested should now be implemented - see above.
@redorb, TheRealJakoby & YOGAM. You're welcome!

Reply #206
Thanks WilB for the update, much appreciated!
What is the opposite of music?

Reply #207
Thank you very much. It works like a charm! Cheers

Reply #208
Hello,

I have tag %performer% which is put like a name, surmane and also instrument: Steven Isserlis ~ cello
It couldn´t find any BIO information, it works only with name and surname: Steven Isserlis

I would like to save information about instrument. Is there any option? Is it possible to use something similar like:
$puts(spacer,$strchr(%performer%,~))
$trim($left(%performer%,$sub($get(spacer),1)))

And where should I change?

Thanks a lot.

Reply #209
Biographies etc on the sites are filed under individual names, and so including the instrument would be expected to stop the look-up from working, which you found. %BIO_ARTIST% etc define the look-up names & are also used to automatically generate save names.

Your example extracts the performer name & so, e.g. the following could be used (I used $meta... in case there are any multi-value tags).

%BIO_ARTIST%=$if3($puts(spacer,$strchr($meta(performer,0),~))$trim($left($meta(performer,0),$sub($get(spacer),1))),$meta(artist,0),$meta(album artist,0),$meta(composer,0))
This includes fall back to checking other fields if performer is absent & can be adjusted according to tags used.

As the save filename is generated from %BIO_ARTIST%, the instrument wouldn't then form part of the filename. I don't actually understand the need for the instrument name to be part of the file save system other than for aesthetic reasons, since the script will always display the bio of the individual name.

But you could include it the folder location if you really want, e.g.:

Biography [Lastfm] Folder Location=%profile%\yttm\biography\lastfm\$if2($meta(performer,0),%BIO_ARTIST%)
This includes fall back if performer field is absent.

Setting both %BIO_ARTIST% & the folder location as shown, and setting the tag Performer as Steven Isserlis ~ cello  generates:
Z:\foobar2000\yttm\biography\lastfm\Steven Isserlis ~ cello\Steven Isserlis.txt

To make the changes: use right click > menu > sources > server settings > edit biography.ini > save > restart foobar2000

HTH

Reply #210
Thank you for the quick response.
I used your example and:
If I click on track: OK, I see BIO: Steven Isserlis
But after clicking on MT - More Tags (composer, next performer) There it is mentioned again: Steven Isserlis ~ cello (or next performer ~ instrument) after clicking on, any information...
Do I have something wrong, or it is  another problem?

About filename: here the "instrument" is not desirable (it can lead to duplicates)
I prefer it as it is.

Thanks for your work

Reply #211
By the way, the best I can imagine:
MT shows the full length of the tag performer, but it is link to the short length of tag performer - to get BIO info.
Maybe a bit complicated, but the maximum information for the user...

Reply #212
I did look into your suggestion of having the MT menu item & items obtained being different, e.g. Steven Isserlis ~ cello displays but gets Steven Isserlis. While it's possible, it's really very specific to that one scenario and wouldn't be easily user configurable, + it's rather illogical to normal users. The next release will fix the rare scenarios where the original artist is missing from the MT menu (Steven Isserlis in this case), but that's about as much as I can do. The appearance of Steven Isserlis ~ cello on the MT menu is only faithfully reproducing what's in your tags. You might want to consider optimising tags which will also give the best chance of successful look-ups: e.g. keep %performer% to just that and perhaps use %instrument% for the instrument (one of a myriad of possibilities).

Reply #213
Thank you, I understand.
About tag optimization: if I split into %performer% and %instrument%, then the information who play on witch instrument is lost.

I give one more example of how I imagined that it should work (and why):
I'm listening to "David Bowie" album "The Next Day" track No 9 "Boss of Me" and I think the bass part is great and I want to find out more information > I click on "MT" and I see the performers among "Tony Levin ~ bass" > I click on it and I can read BIO "Tony Levin". On Track 10 I can see that "* ~ bass" is not "Tony Levin", but "Gail Ann Dorsey" ...

I don't think it's illogical but yes, probably rare...

Reply #214
Want you want really needs to be hard coded in the script. During trying it out I wrote the required code. But because the scenario is highly specific, probably to you only, and others may use " ~ " in performer fields in different ways, I don't plan to include it in a release version unless there is more demand.

However I have sent you a pm with the code snippets I wrote & you can edit the script as detailed therein if you wish.

HTH

Reply #215
New Version: JScript Biography 0.8.4.2

CHANGELOG

FIX: More Tags menu (MT): fixed rare cases where %BIO_ARTIST% was missing from the menu list.
FIX: Minor regression.

Reply #216
WOW, thanks a lot. I didn't expect such a quick and detailed answer.
I'll try to implement it and I believe it'll work as I imagined.
If you would find out how to realize something similar to another (more universal) way, it would be fine.
The use of "~" is really irrelevant (I only find it aesthetic)...

Let me have two more questions
1) AllMusic Reviews show "Album Moods", "Album Themes", "Release Date" ... but "Genre" and "Style" not. Is there any reason for that?
2) Do you plan to add "Open Containing Folder" to the context menu? In txt files are the information (see above) that are worth to be in tags. So I could find them more quickly (open, copy and paste). Or is there any other better way to convert them to tags?

Regards

Reply #217
Genre & styles are given for the AM artist biography where it seemed more appropriate and to work better. Since styles are just essentially more genres they're all wrapped in "Genre". The actual AM genre is first in the list followed by the styles.

YOGAM has described how to use the Biography script in order to automatically populate genre tags etc with MP3Tag. See here.

Reply #218
Thanks WilB for the update!
What is the opposite of music?

Reply #219
thanks for this awesome plugin. i've been using 0.4 beta for years. never knew there was an update until now. it's even better!

Reply #220
New Version: JScript Biography 0.8.5

ADD: Tag Writing (BETA)

Various users have expressed a desire to be able to write certain types of info from the biographies and reviews to tags.

YOGAM has described how that can be done with mp3TAG, but that is rather involved & so its now in-built.

Tag writing

SHIFT + right click > menu > Write Tags to Selected Files (grayed if no playlist files are selected)

A summary will show the tags that are to be written. Tags written are multivalue except for Album Rating AllMusic.

Default tag names are:

Album Mood AllMusic
Album Rating AllMusic
Album Theme AllMusic
Genre AllMusic
Genre Last.fm
Similar Artists Last.fm

Tag names used & which tags are written can be set in server settings (biography.ini): [ADVANCED] heading

Works well with library views such as:

View by Genre Allmusic // %<genre allmusic>%|[%album artist% - ]%album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%
View by Genre Last.fm // %<genre last.fm>%|[%album artist% - ]%album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%
View by Mood // %<album mood allmusic>%|[%album artist% - ]%album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%
View by Album Rating // %album rating allmusic%|[%album artist% - ]%album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%
View by Theme // %<album theme allmusic>%|[%album artist% - ]%album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

Note:
1) Only writes existing info from already saved bios & reviews. This should work best if you've been using JScript Biography for a while. Files with missing tags can normally be identified by choosing the "?" at the top of the above library views etc
2) Most music file tags are now written with enough padding to accommodate new metadata & so tag updates should be fast. However, if your music files don't have enough padding for the new metadata (& the metadata is at the start of the file), then foobar2000 will need to rewrite the file along with the metadata, which may be slow. This is no different from normal tag writing

Album Rating AllMusic is written on a 0-10 scale to facilitate sorting & so differs from the biography display

As tag writing is a new feature it's recommended to try tag writing on a representative set of files first to optimise settings & ensure its working as required etc. Artist, album artist & album are determined by server settings (biography.ini) for %BIO_ARTIST%, %BIO_ALBUMARTIST% and %BIO_ALBUM%

Reply #221
@culinko. I suspect auto-add new images is enabled, which would give that behaviour (see documentation). So all you should need to do is disable that. In biography.ini set: Image [Artist] Auto-Add New=0
Thanks, everything works perfectly now :)

Reply #222
Tag writing: Great!
I'm looking forward to trying. It saves a lot of time while tagging (and I do not have to leave foobar...)
It's better and better.

Reply #223
Writing tags works just as I imagined.
Thanks for this great update.

Just a few comments:
as you wrote above, Genre & styles are given for the AM artist biography and not for AM album (reviews). This leads to the fact that all albums from one artist have the same genre - which is often not true.
Example:

David Bowie - 1967 David Bowie
from AM Review: Pop/Rock; Art Rock; Contemporary Pop/Rock; Experimental Rock; Psychedelic Pop; Psychedelic/Garage; Baroque Pop; AM Pop
from script: Pop/Rock; Album Rock; Art Rock; Contemporary Pop/Rock; Experimental Rock; Glam Rock; Hard Rock; Proto-Punk; Blue-Eyed Soul; Dance-Rock

David Bowie - 2016 Blackstar
from AM Review: Pop/Rock; Art Rock; Experimental Rock; Contemporary Pop/Rock
from script: Pop/Rock; Album Rock; Art Rock; Contemporary Pop/Rock; Experimental Rock; Glam Rock; Hard Rock; Proto-Punk; Blue-Eyed Soul; Dance-Rock

Thus, it can serve only to search for an artist by genre. To search for the album is not appropriate.
When I'm looking for Glam Rock albums I'm going to get Blackstar from Bowie, which really is not.
if I want to find Glam Rock artists, I get Bowie, which may be true, but I do not know for which album...
---
For AllMusic Rating I have previously used scale 0.5; 1; 1.5 ..... 5
and for viewing stars
$if($greater(%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%,0.5),$repeat($char(9733),%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%),)
$if($strstr(%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%,.5),$char(9734),)
$rgb(100,130,150)
$if($strstr(%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%,.0),$repeat($char(9734),$sub(5,%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%)))
$if($strstr(%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%,.5),$repeat($char(9734),$sub(4,%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%)))
Is there any possibility of achieving the same result with scale 1-10?

Reply #224
New Version: JScript Biography 0.8.5.1

ADD: Album reviews now contain top tags or album genre info

CHG: Upgrade Tag Writer to 0.2 BETA

As tag writing is a new feature, it's recommended to try tag writing on a representative set of files first to optimise settings & ensure it's working as required etc. Tags are written from existing info from already saved bios & reviews. This should work best if you've been using JScript Biography for a while.

Further to the feedback available tags that can be written are now:

Album Genre AllMusic
Album Mood AllMusic
Album Rating AllMusic
Album Theme AllMusic
Artist Genre AllMusic
Album Genre Last.fm
Artist Genre Last.fm
Similar Artists Last.fm

Select tags written and change tag names if required in server settings (biography.ini): [ADVANCED] heading. Due to the changes such tag settings will be reset to default

@novaca Regarding the album rating, you ought to be able to redefine it, e.g. something like:
$puts(rating,$replace(%ALBUM RATING ALLMUSIC%,10,5.0,1,0.5,2,1.0,3,1.5,4,2.0,5,2.5,6,3.0,7,3.5,8,4.0,9,4.5))$if($greater($get(rating),0.5),$repeat($char(9733),$get(rating)),)$if($strstr($get(rating),.5),$char(9734),)$rgb(100,130,150)$if($strstr($get(rating),.0),$repeat($char(9734),$sub(5,$get(rating))))$if($strstr($get(rating),.5),$repeat($char(9734),$sub(4,$get(rating))))