Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Comparing FLAC and Monkey's (Read 17401 times) previous topic - next topic

Comparing FLAC and Monkey's

Reply #50
Is there any frontend for MetaFlac?  I'm using WinXP, and the command-line box is hell to use when you're trying to apply replaygain to multiple files.

Foobar2000 can apply ReplayGain to mutiple files very easily.

Reply #51
Foobar2000 can apply ReplayGain to mutiple files very easily.

Thank you!  Foobar did it perfectly.

MultiFrontend seems to mess up ReplayGain.  Although it is still great for converting one format to another.

Reply #52
APE gets you slightly smaller files, while FLAC is more of a standard and isn't as annoying to get to work under Linux.

I use APE.

Nonsense.

Here FLAC do not compile and MAC do compile.

Is there a list which tools and versions must be installed to compile FLAC?
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #53
I use only WavPack for lossless and many times for lossy compression. It's very fast and when I compared it with FLAC, WavPack always ended with a bit better compression.

Default Wavpack is ~2x faster than default FLAC on encoding and gets about 1% better compression, but FLAC still decodes faster (~15%), which does matter on hardware players.  In any case, Wavpack's compression/speed and decompression/speed ratio is very good.  I have toyed with the idea of adding its method to FLAC now that their two licenses are compatible; I'm only worried about be more vulnerable to patent claims (not Bryant's, someone unknown third person's) since the method is more complicated.

Josh

BTW:

Me (and also at least 5 other persons) are searching for a FLAC which can be compiled on a
2 year old system  OR  for FLAC binaries which are linked against glibc 2.1 (and not glibc 2.2).
Update of these machines may be possible, but will end up in a replacement of nearly the whole
system.

And there is also at least a person searching for a libc5 version of FLAC. The machine
used is a AMD K-5/166 with 32 MB RAM. Modern Linux distributions do not start on these
machine.

Is there any chance to get these versions?
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #54
Cool, I thought MAC was closed-source.  So both FLAC and MAC are open. 

And thanx for directing me to the plugin... I definitely overlooked it since the sourceforge page isn't unfamiliar to me.

One thing I would like to know that didn't get answered...
1) Does FLAC support surround-sound ( >2 channels)?

FLAC do support more than 2 channels.
APE, LPAC, OptimFROG, LA do not support more than 2 channels.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #55
I use only WavPack for lossless and many times for lossy compression. It's very fast and when I compared it with FLAC, WavPack always ended with a bit better compression.

Default Wavpack is ~2x faster than default FLAC on encoding and gets about 1% better compression, but FLAC still decodes faster (~15%), which does matter on hardware players.  In any case, Wavpack's compression/speed and decompression/speed ratio is very good.  I have toyed with the idea of adding its method to FLAC now that their two licenses are compatible; I'm only worried about be more vulnerable to patent claims (not Bryant's, someone unknown third person's) since the method is more complicated.

Josh

BTW:

Me (and also at least 5 other persons) are searching for a FLAC which can be compiled on a
2 year old system  OR  for FLAC binaries which are linked against glibc 2.1 (and not glibc 2.2).
Update of these machines may be possible, but will end up in a replacement of nearly the whole
system.

And there is also at least a person searching for a libc5 version of FLAC. The machine
used is a AMD K-5/166 with 32 MB RAM. Modern Linux distributions do not start on these
machine.

Is there any chance to get these versions?

[argh, something goes seriously wrong between this forum and konqueror 3]

Frank, just what about the autoconf system does not work on these systems?

Josh