Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New EAC user- only WAV not FLAC (Read 12791 times) previous topic - next topic

New EAC user- only WAV not FLAC

Afternoon all,
First post here but I've had a good trundle through the site this morning and can't find an obvious resolution to this problem though it's occurred a few times in the past.

My EAC is newly installed today:

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

I've selected FLAc as the output via the following:
I:\Exact Audio Copy\Flac\flac.exe

and my files are all correctly ripping to a WDMyCloud Ultra NAS.

However, no matter what I change, they are appearing as .wav not FLAC.

I've also un and reinstalled everything twice to no avail.

Any help would be welcome!

Thanks

MPR

Re: New EAC user- only WAV not FLAC

Reply #1
Which EAC "button" are you pressing?  It should be the one labelled "CMP" for compressed.  Or from the menu, select Action > Copy Selected Tracks > Compressed.

Reply #2
Or then, assuming you're not willing to create a CUE sheet, use the olde faithful CTRL+F5 shortcut.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
Hi mpradford,

I think EAC has an issue using FLAC.EXE when saving to a network location. I'm on a Mac and use Parallels to run Windows. My music folder shows up both under "This PC" and under "Network". I noticed that I get only WAV files when I use the "Network" location. I tried it again but this time I pointed EAC to the music folder via the "This PC" pathway and voila: FLAC files!

Try doing the same rip again but try saving to a local folder or at least a folder not under "Network". I'm willing to bet that you'll get your FLAC files.

Reply #4
Morning everyone
THanks for the replies and apologies for the tardiness in replying.

I'm going via the option of copying all tracks as Uncompressed (F5 I think)

Mike457- that could be it, genius, Sir, genius. I will try to sneak over to the room where the PC is tonight once my wife, 2 year old and dogs are all asleep!

Updates to follow...

Reply #5
Of course, if you use the "uncompressed" option, you shouldn't be expecting FLAC files, regardless of save location.

Reply #6
Hi Mike
Maybe a typo on my part, but surely uncompressed would produce large files, compressed would produce MP3 etc? If not, why would I get WAV which show 0% compression to the original file.

Anyway, i had this from the developer this evening which confirms your earlier genius status :o)

The Flac encoder and few others has that particular problem (some others don't).

Either extract to a local drive first and move them afterwards, or assign a drive letter to your share. Ripping to a drive letter should be
no problem (and assigning a letter to a share should even work with NAS).

Thanks all

Reply #7
Just a quick update on this. I mapped the NAS to a drive and tried ripping. The same thing happened.

Reply #8
mpradford,

Did you ever figure this out?
I am having same problem!

Reply #9
I was having the same problem on my Windows 10 64-bit PC and found I may not have been patient enough. The tracks copy in *.wav format initially, but when finished, the status window shows my external decoder (FLAC 1.3.2) launch and the *.wav file is compressed to *.flac. 

Under the 'Compression options' I selected 'Delete WAV after compression', which is what gave me the clue that I wasn't letting the post-process compression process do its job.  If this doesn't solve it for you, then verify that the external program is functioning by clicking the 'Test encoder' button.

Hope this helps!

Reply #10
I see this is an older post, so either y'all doped it out or moved on.  Right now I've done neither. I'm a novice to Hi-Res and computers too so I'm spit-balling here.

Seems the easiest fix would be to install FLAC.exe on the NAS the wav file was just extracted as it seems to be a two-step process with EAC, but this I have not figured yet. So I rip with EAC by day to a volume on the same device as the optical drive then drop the whole thing to the NAS in the evening. Yes, tedious.

dBpoweramp does its conversion to FLAC in one step, but acts glitchy in various ways and I think I like the EAC end product better as the bump in gain seems to improve dynamic range a tad. (That's my ear talking as I have no way to verify the veracity of this claim.)

Reply #11
Seems the easiest fix would be to install FLAC.exe on the NAS the wav file was just extracted as it seems to be a two-step process with EAC, but this I have not figured yet. So I rip with EAC by day to a volume on the same device as the optical drive then drop the whole thing to the NAS in the evening. Yes, tedious.
The issue, from what I understand, is that flac.exe doesn't support network paths. Assigning a drive letter, so that the network path is indistinguishable from a local path, should fix the problem. (You also need to select the drive letter instead of the network path when you rip your CDs.)

Have you tried doing that already?

(That's my ear talking as I have no way to verify the veracity of this claim.)
This is extremely easy to verify: use Foobar2000's bitcompare function/plugin to compare the audio files. If they are identical (and they should be!), you're imagining the difference.