Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Request] Scan files for LUFS values (Read 9034 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Request] Scan files for LUFS values

Reply #25
The goal of the long string was to add plus sign for completeness and color code each part to aid readability in a long table, where the headers may be far away on a big screen and there may be multiple numeric columns side by side. Advantage of a rounded/truncated number and precise in the same space (other programs may show the fraction and unit in smaller type, which we can't do). How long the formatting string is doesn't matter that much. I don't see it on the main window, or when I add the column by right-clicking on the header. Even on a playlist of the whole collection there isn't a noticeable pause.

I don't see a big advantage of a built-in tech field for lufs it it can be calculated already. If they add it, fine. You probably can get your request through. Most of us others cannot. That is why I use Foobar that can be customized.

The proposed ('Short') column doesn't show minus sign for RG -17.01 .. -17.99

http://i.imgur.com/vs9Mekd.png

Reply #26
Thanks. For some reason Case's "shorter" string is showing up exactly the same as your original one, with minus sign etc.

Reply #27
It errors out on very specific values. Here's amended version that shows ±0.00 for zero, minus even for small minus values and + for positive values:
$if(%replaygain_track_gain%,$puts(l,$num($sub(-1800,$replace(%replaygain_track_gain%,.,)),4))
$ifequal($get(l),0,±0.00,$ifgreater($get(l),0,+$div($get(l),100),-$div($get(l),-100)).$right($get(l),2)) LUFS,)

Though I have no idea if LUFS is supposed to be formatted with plus sign, I couldn't find documentation. I found something claiming 0.00 is max value. Adobe Audition doesn't show plus sign.

Edit: removed unnecessary minus sign.

Reply #28
Plus might not be required. The value looks more distinct that way, as I mentally process normal negative numbers and ignore the minus. Measurement tools appear to be split on this display convention.

No sign: Izotope RX5 (unweighted RMS has plus), dpMeter2, TC LM6n, VisLM2.
Plus sign: Izotope Insight 5, Ozone 5/7, Pro-L2.

Power of Foobar's title formatting allows adding/removing it!

Reply #29
Oops, right, lack of float support. I thought he was scaling the number based on some range. I should have looked closer.

Reply #30
There is the Dynamic Range Meter which is very buggy and not recommended by the devs, plus it's not used by very many audio engineers. These days we are all using LUFS (Momentary, Short Term and Integrated), it would be very handy to be able to see the value, particularly the integrated value for the whole track.

FFmpeg's drmeter filter does calculate Dynamic Range range based on a 3 seconds default segment (can be set as option). Its source code, which is part of ffmpeg is available at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavfilter/af_drmeter.c by Paul B. Mahol.

This command does it:
Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i "input file" -af drmeter[@length=length in seconds, 3 default] -f wav -y NUL (/dev/null in linux)

It gives each channel DR value plus an overall one:

Code: [Select]
[Parsed_drmeter_0 @ 00000133682e2540] Channel 1: DR: 11.7
[Parsed_drmeter_0 @ 00000133682e2540] Channel 2: DR: 11.2
[Parsed_drmeter_0 @ 00000133682e2540] Overall DR: 11.4

It would be great to have this value standandarized as a ReplayGain tag, just like peak and loudness information. Would this need an additional plugin or can it be obtained by EBU R-128 ReplayGain scan?