Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 61 Free Applications, Webapps, and Tools We're Most Thankful For (Read 5474 times) previous topic - next topic

61 Free Applications, Webapps, and Tools We're Most Thankful For

Reply #1
I hope that the number doesn't equal to rating. (iTunes over Foobar, lul)

Reply #2
iTunes is an application used by millions of users, mostly iPod/iPhone users.

It is really good that foobar2000, a very much "under" project has made it to the list.

And, no, the raking is because of number of mentions from people on the posts.

Reply #3
I don't know what I find more amazing: Seeing foobar rank that high or seeing VLC at #2.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #4
Sarcasm ?  MPC should have been higher, it beats VLC.

Reply #6
This is truly great for a not so easy to use for the average user! Great news. But as someone said above me, I can't think VLC being so high. I never liked it and I definitely think that MPC is superior. Anyway...

Reply #7
I don't know what I find more amazing: Seeing foobar rank that high or seeing VLC at #2.

Especially since it has the worst volume controls of any media player known to man.

Reply #8
VLC is atrocious, but it's self-contained, much like foobar2000, MPC-HC requires tinkering for optimal use. Still, no contest. MadVR, bluray mpls and m2ts playing, being able to use ffdshow... no contest. VLC can't even do 7.1 multichannel right.

Moderation: Removed useless full quote of the preceding post.

Reply #9
VLC has feature that beats all other media players - that is just put any file in it, it will play it if it's reasonably valid, foobar can't do that. Rename some flac to mp3 and you'll get foobar choke.
hint: feed VLC with DRM and see what happens
One thing I dislike in VLC is when I play videos fullscreen then on every change it restores it's window and than goes full screen again - very annoying. That's not happening with MPC

Reply #10
One thing that probably helps VLC's rank on such a list is that it also runs on Linux and Mac.

Reply #11
What's good about Google Chrome, #7 ????
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".