Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Character Encoding for Reading 8-bit ID3 Tags from MP3 Files (Read 800 times) previous topic - next topic

Character Encoding for Reading 8-bit ID3 Tags from MP3 Files

I've gotten many MP3 files with ID3v1 and sometimes ID3v2 tags written in an 8-bit character encoding with non-ASCII characters.

How do I specify this encoding in fb2k so that these tags could be read and displayed correctly?

Fb2k assumes some default codepage for decoding the characters. Maybe even takes this from system settings for the fallback ANSI codepage. However, these files were not written on my system, so this does not match. Would be nice to be able to specify the character encoding rules (probably, on per-folder basis, as the codepages actually vary, got at least Western European and Cyrillic). A less convenient solution would be to rewrite the files with Unicode tags — here the problem would be with readonly media like CD or network drives, for which reading the files with the specific encoding would do the trick but the modification might be complex or impossible. However, any advice on the tooling fit for the purpose (read 8-bit tags in a specific encoding and rewrite in Unicode) is also welcome.