Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Artifacts at the beginning of the file (Read 4553 times) previous topic - next topic

Artifacts at the beginning of the file

Hello,

encoding the file linked below results in an artifact in the beginning of the mp3 (sounds like a click) using
$ lame --preset insane --noreplaygain B.wav
LAME 3.99.4 64bits (http://lame.sf.net)

B.wav
A.wav (mp3 converted to wav, edit: using lame --decode, which seems to be the cause of the problem)

Here's an overlay of the mp3 (red) and original wav (blue):

Any ideas why this is happening?
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #1
Almost sounds like it's encoding the header as audio?

Reply #2
The artifact is not present in the mp3 itself. I traced the problem down to lame --decode. Decoding (mp3 -> wav) the file with fb2k doesn't result in that artifact in the beginning.

Reply #3
You are a true audiophile, xnor! Hardcore, I have to be more like you. I'll check out the LAME bug tracker and build 3.99 through 3.99.3 later (I really need some sleep first), run a series of encodes/decodes, see if this issue is a regression, or a new bug.
IBM T42 2378-FZU
Audigy 2 ZS Notebook
Shure E4 Earphones
foobar2000 0.9 b8

Reply #4
It would seem this is a regression as I just decoded the mp3 with 3.98.4 and all was well. I'll check back and see where this may have occurred.

Reply #5
@adamlau: Nope, being a software developer myself I just like seeing bugs fixed.

@john33: Thanks for taking a look at this.

Reply #6
Hopefully, Robert will pick up on this. There was quite a lot going on in the switch from mpglib to hiplib at this time making it a little difficult to track through but Robert, perhaps, could put his finger on this quite quickly.

EDIT: I have emailed Robert to draw his attention to this.

Reply #7
Thanks xnor, for finding this issue. It crept in early in 3.99 development. This will be fixed in official 3.99.5 soon.

Reply #8
Thanks, that's good news.