Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: can't convert flac to apple lossless with v1.4 on windows 10 (Read 2734 times) previous topic - next topic

can't convert flac to apple lossless with v1.4 on windows 10

Before I begin: I have foobar v1.3.10.0 as a portable install on an external HD.
I have a laptop that runs windows 07 and foobar runs, and more importantly,
converts .flac to .m4a files  flawlessly, and simply. It has also been customized
to my liking and componets etc.

I recently received a PC from a deceased relative that's running windows 10.
It runs and plays foobar that is on the HD fine.
But doesn't want to convert .flac>.m4a.
(as I got an error msg.(code 2 (0x00000002) like the one at the bottom of this post.)

I ejected my HD and downloaded v1.4 to the Windows 10 PC(before I installed the encoder
pack, mind you) I received the following message
to locate qaac.exe, qaac64.exe, refalac,exe or refalac64.exe. which I have no idea
how to locate or what it means.

Then I installed the encoder pack and I receive a new error message: (Same as I got on
v1.3.10.0 on the HD mentioned above):

"  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely
with code 2 (0x00000002); please re-check parameters) :
 Additional information:
  Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
  Command line: "C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\foobar2000\encoders\qaac.exe" --ignorelength
-s --no-optimize --alac -o
Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 2 (0x00000002);
please re-check parameters."

I've spent hours this sat. morning trying to make it work and am getting more confused
as I search.

On my laptop, I convert to the Apple Lossless encoder and they become
.M4A files from .flac. I assumed .m4a is apple lossless(codex?). However in my search this
morning there are different Apple Lossless formats I guess. AAC + Apple Lossless (qaac)
and Apple Lossless (refalac). I am choosing Apple Lossless in foobar when I convert on
the laptop, so I guess it's refalac, but am not sure.

I'm new to forums, and as I'm sure you can tell not too tech savvy. I know the answer is
convert using my laptop, but I want to be able to do it on both devices from the HD, really.
But since I can't with either version on the windows 10 PC, and can't find acceptable
answers in my searches, I joined a forum in hopes it'll help.
Thanks for your patience.
dshot

Re: can't convert flac to apple lossless with v1.4 on windows 10

Reply #1
Don't install qaac if you don't have iTunes installed. Remove qaac.exe from C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\foobar2000\encoders directory and the converter will use refalac.exe instead.

Reply #2
That did the trick, thank you very much.
Enjoy your day, I know I will.
dshot

Reply #3
On my laptop, I convert to the Apple Lossless encoder and they become
.M4A files from .flac. I assumed .m4a is apple lossless(codex?).

.m4a means it is audio in an MP4 container. MP4 can contain a lot of things, but is the typical choice of file format both for ALAC audio and for AAC audio. Merely looking at the .m4a in the file explorer does not tell you whether it is ALAC or AAC in it, though file size could give you a hint.