Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Undetermined M4A tag differences between encoders (Read 4654 times) previous topic - next topic

Undetermined M4A tag differences between encoders

Like the topic says, I get slightly different tags between the two encoders, which both used the same front-end (FB2K) during conversions.

Normally this is a non-issue. However, I would like to know what miniscule difference exists since my portable reads Artist/Album/etc. from the files created by Nero. With the FhgAAC files it reads none at all. A short test later with two encodes using the same source file and conversion method confirmed this result.

The latest version of MP3Tag showed only a difference in the 'Codec' field: "MPEG4-AAC (Nero AAC encoder / 1.5.1.0)" versus "MPEG4-AAC" the latter being FhgAAC. FB2K 'Properties' revealed an extra field <ENCODER> under 'Other' (not under 'General' tag). I tried 'Remove all fields' from the FhgAAC file and copy+pasted the fields from the Nero file, and that didn't solve anything either.

If someone does know what this difference is maybe they could also tell me if I can alter the existing tags for my finicky player as opposed to re-encoding with Nero. Thanks in advance!

edit: typos
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #2
 I don't have high-speed connection right now, so I am wondering if there was something smaller and less deprecated to try.

Reply #3
Are you also referring to this? http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=809211
No.  I mentioned the encoder field merely in regards to the only known difference.

The bad news is MP4Tags didn't help. The good news is that it mentioned something called iTunes-compatible tags. So obviously I tried an encode using QAAC (with lib 7.9.7.9) and that file's tag is recognized by my player. Still, I can't help but continue to figure out what difference exists with the FhgEnc tags.

Reply #4
From what I can see,
neroaacenc writes moov.udta.ndrm before moov.udta.meta box under which iTunes style metadata goes.
On the other hand, winamp encoder writes moov.udta.hnti box (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=90901)  before moov.udta.meta box.
iTunes does not write both of them, and meta box comes first under moov.udta.

Maybe your player accepts ndrm but refuses hnti. Try the following:
Code: [Select]
AtomicParseley foo.m4a --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.hnti

If it doesn't work, you can remux it using cafmux.
cafmux foo.m4a bar.m4a

It doesn't preserve tags, but at least gapless information (iTunSMPB) is preserved and remuxed using Apple CoreAudioToolbox.

Reply #5
Maybe your player accepts ndrm but refuses hnti. Try the following:
AtomicParseley foo.m4a --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.hnti
That worked. I am pretty sure the blame for this lies within my player but having this workaround makes it a little more bearable.

Thank you very much!