Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Conversion (wave 2 m4a/flac) without loosing tags (Read 2346 times) previous topic - next topic

Conversion (wave 2 m4a/flac) without loosing tags

Hello

Current situation:
I have a huge (500+) archive of ripped CDs and recorded Vinyls.
The format is wav and they all are tagged very accurately.
(This is because I’ve had a nice player on my music server that was able to play these files and arrange them by using the tags.)

The aim:
I want to convert these archive 1:1 to a more usable format – maybe m4a or flac. (Because a lot of devices (mobile phones, TVs,...) are not able to read these tags or even to play the files.)
A 1:1 conversion of the whole file structure should not the problem (I hope so) BUT – I want to carry all tags from the wav files to the new format.

Question:
Is there a possibility to do so?

Thanks a lot

Reply #1
Generic answer: foobar2000 can do this. Conveniently, its official forums are hosted right on this very site.

Out of curiosity, what did you use to tag the WAVs, and do you know which type of tag is used? I don’t want to start yet another back-and-forth by various members on the incidence or legitimacy of tags in WAV, but it’s interesting to see a post from someone who’s actually used them!

Reply #2
TAudioConverter can copy tags and also preserve folder structure.

Reply #3
@db1989:
Yes, tagging wavs was not so clever but it worked very easily (automatically for the CDs) with “mediamonkey”. These “project” started over 10 years ago and mp3/flac was not a suitable solution (for me) at that time. Using the tagged wavs works still very fine on the server but unfortunately my car radio, mobile phone, TV...  don’t like them ;-)
I will check the type later and report.

@all:
Thanks so far.
I’ll try these tools during the next days.