Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless Codecs (Read 4367 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless Codecs

I want copy my cd's to my hard disk and I decide do this with a Lossless Codec.
I read the topic "Which is the best lossless codec?" but i don't know which choose
flac wavpack or Monkey's Audio... or any other, somebody can recomend my?
I want play this with foobar. Foobar is good? i see the lastest release and was on dec 2002 is very old? any other player for play Lossless codec?

with any Lossless Codec my music don't lose quality???

What is gapless? with easy words please 

thanks and excuse for my bad english 

Lossless Codecs

Reply #1
I hope my English is easy. 

FLAC, WavPack and Monkey's Audio are all good lossless codecs. People argue about which is the best, but the arguments are mostly a matter of opinion because all three codecs do the same thing. They are all gapless, they can all be played in Foobar (and WinAmp) and NONE of them will make your music lose quality.

The reason FLAC has not been updated in so long is because of the difficulty in making it any faster or better. It is already fast and good enough. WavPack and Monkey's Audio are basically just as good.

If you ask me, it doesn't matter which codec you choose, although you should remember that FLAC has more widespread support than the other two.

Good luck!

Lossless Codecs

Reply #2
What is gapless? with easy words please  [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265729"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some CD's are made with no audible transition between tracks. They are supposed to flow into one another, as if the whole CD was just one long track (with track markers added for convenience). This is probably most common for DJ compilations and live sets, but any CD might be made this way.

For compressed audio, both lossless and lossy, the term gapless refers to whether the compressed files can be played as described above. In other words, as the artist ment them to be played.

Lossless Codecs

Reply #4
The reason FLAC has not been updated in so long is because of the difficulty in making it any faster or better. It is already fast and good enough.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How do you know? [a href="http://www.true-audio.com/]TTA[/url] is freakin' fast and compresses a little better than FLAC. Of course it doesn't match FLAC on features, but I guess that's because TTA is still under heavy development.

Lossless Codecs

Reply #5
The reason FLAC has not been updated in so long is because of the difficulty in making it any faster or better. It is already fast and good enough.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How do you know? [a href="http://www.true-audio.com/]TTA[/url] is freakin' fast and compresses a little better than FLAC. Of course it doesn't match FLAC on features, but I guess that's because TTA is still under heavy development.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FLAC was updated to 1.1.1 on 01-Oct-2004.
--
Eric

Lossless Codecs

Reply #6
What is gapless? with easy words please :rolleyes: [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265729"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some CD's are made with no audible transition between tracks. They are supposed to flow into one another, as if the whole CD was just one long track (with track markers added for convenience). This is probably most common for DJ compilations and live sets, but any CD might be made this way.

For compressed audio, both lossless and lossy, the term gapless refers to whether the compressed files can be played as described above. In other words, as the artist ment them to be played.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265765"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So does this mean one method of playing back files back gapless is via e.g. cuesheet+1 track audio file? Or are there other ways? Im basiclly asking if this can ONLY be done with a cuesheet generally like when dealing with mp3s.

Lossless Codecs

Reply #7
Imagine track A and track B. . . with most players theres a gap between them if you were to play track A and track B, but with players that support gapless playback there wont be a gap (gapless). 

On CDs songs dont always end and begin with silence!  Sometimes they overstep eachother or you can even find track points in the middle of a 1 hour classicals, DJ, etc CDs put in simply for convenience.  Gaps can ruin the whole album in those cases.  You woldnt want a second of silence in the middle of your favorite track, right? (although thats rerely the case)

OK. . . so now you have your album on your computer the way it was meant to sound (no gaps to annoy you)

CUE sheets simply point to audio files and tell the player from what point to start playing the song and when to stop.  Basically if the music on a song starts to play at lets say 4 sec, the cue sheet can simply tell the player to skip those 4 sec and instead start playing it from there so you dont have to wait 4 sec.  With EAC you can scan the CDs for gaps and then append those gaps to either the end, beginning or take them off.

NOTE:  With very long songs or with images of CDs gaps can occur, because it requires seeking the whole file to where the CUE sheet points. (from my experience thats pretty much limited to only Musepack though, i hope it gets fixed!)

Lossless Codecs

Reply #8
How do the tagging capabilities compare between the lossless codecs?  There are a few tags that are important to me that I use in my MP3s (ID3v2.3), that I'd like to be able to use no matter what format I store my music in.  Those are the "Disc" (or Position in Media Set) tag, which is good for multi-CD sets; it stores the number of the current disc, as well as the total number of discs; and Composer and Performer tags that are separate from the general "Artist" tag.

Lossless Codecs

Reply #9
As long as you got the harddrive space for lossless theres NOTHING else to worry about!

Most lossless support ID3 and Ape (or anything you'll ever need)

Please read this.