Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RME HDSPe PCIe vs EMU 1212m vs Titanium HD vs Xonar - Best Quality Low (Read 3951 times) previous topic - next topic

RME HDSPe PCIe vs EMU 1212m vs Titanium HD vs Xonar - Best Quality Low

First time asking for computer help, lol. I found an area I'm not knowledgeable in.

I've been using a Toneport UX2 to satisfy my ASIO Needs for Producing Audio and playing it back real-time. I play large libraries of samples (Orchestra and Piano from EWQL). When I play, I have about 4 instruments playing at once and maybe a few more in the backdrop. There's about 1/4 of a second lag when I play my audio and I've come to terms that I finally need a better ASIO Card. I have it on the fastest settings and it still doesn't even use 2% of my cpu when playing. I get tons of clipping and pops when playing also.

Is the RME HDSPe card better in terms of producing a more accurate sound and lower latency? (Compared to the EMU 1212m, Xonar, and Titanium HD) I just purchased a X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe for my PC (Upgraded from onboard x-fi), and I have tinkered around a bit with the ASIO features. The quality is BETTER than my UX2 and has a lower latency. But I'm not sure if this card meets my needs. It's not 5.1 like I thought it was and is overpriced for not suiting my needs. If I can find a better ASIO card with better quality and lower latency, I want to return this and switch.

I was recommended this card by some producers I met once. I was hoping it would satisfy my needs for a long time and not be overkill also for what I need.

My Setup:
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Intel i7 920 overclocked to 3.2GHZ
Windows 7 64-bit
Cubase 64-bit
Many VSTs and Samples (EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Kontakt, etc).
12GB DDR3 Ram (Usually use about 8-10GB when recording).
Toneport UX2 ASIO Box

Thanks guys!

Reply #1
First time asking for computer help, lol. I found an area I'm not knowledgeable in.

I've been using a Toneport UX2 to satisfy my ASIO Needs for Producing Audio and playing it back real-time. I play large libraries of samples (Orchestra and Piano from EWQL). When I play, I have about 4 instruments playing at once and maybe a few more in the backdrop. There's about 1/4 of a second lag when I play my audio and I've come to terms that I finally need a better ASIO Card. I have it on the fastest settings and it still doesn't even use 2% of my cpu when playing. I get tons of clipping and pops when playing also.

Is the RME HDSPe card better in terms of producing a more accurate sound and lower latency? (Compared to the EMU 1212m, Xonar, and Titanium HD) I just purchased a X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe for my PC (Upgraded from onboard x-fi), and I have tinkered around a bit with the ASIO features. The quality is BETTER than my UX2 and has a lower latency. But I'm not sure if this card meets my needs. It's not 5.1 like I thought it was and is overpriced for not suiting my needs. If I can find a better ASIO card with better quality and lower latency, I want to return this and switch.

I was recommended this card by some producers I met once. I was hoping it would satisfy my needs for a long time and not be overkill also for what I need.

My Setup:
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Intel i7 920 overclocked to 3.2GHZ
Windows 7 64-bit
Cubase 64-bit
Many VSTs and Samples (EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Kontakt, etc).
12GB DDR3 Ram (Usually use about 8-10GB when recording).
Toneport UX2 ASIO Box

Thanks guys!

The ca. 250 milliseconds of delay and lots of clicks and pops suggests to me that your problem is not your audio interface, but something else. You've got a ton of CPU + RAM power for just running audio. Sounds to me like that this might be a general purpose computer with a ton of gadgets and gee-gaws that need to be removed.

Reply #2
thanks for the reply! I used to have a constant clicking and popping a while back, but disconnected my wifi and it cured it. The only time it pops now is when a bunch of notes are hit at once, it gets too loud (even though its not loud), or a note gets stuck down.

Reply #3
Excuse me but what modell in the RME HDSPe range are you thining about? Have that card with the Multiface II and the sound quality is good and the stability is honestly the best i have ever experienced. Use 32 samples latency without a worry. WHen it comes to stability you should not even mention E-MU 1212m in the same sentence as RME. Regards.

Reply #4
I'm with Arnold sounds like a system config issue. Try hunting down the problem process or driver using DPC Latyency Checker. Sometimes when nothing else helps disabling power saving features in bios and/or 'Throttlestop' will help.

EDIT:Wifi drivers are indeed a known source of popping and clicking.

Reply #5
The most important thing is: Do not use USB interface.
USB interface has high CPU load and latency. I used Mbox and Edirol interface and this is what I can say.
For lowest latency and CPU load, please use PCI/PCIe interface.

latency checking - REAL latency rather latency showed in your sequencer:
http://centrance.com/downloads/ltu/

DAW CPU load/latency benchmark and result:
http://www.dawbench.com/benchmarks.htm

Though many people bashed Creative Labs for their drivers, I am using X-Fi XtremeMusic from 2005 until now and I upgraded my PC from Pentium4 to Core2Duo to Core i3, from WinXP to Win7 X64 and the card worked flawlessly. My office is also using X-Fi Titanium without problem. Maybe Creative is is not as good as RME but at least I can say my cards are working fine. I also use EWQL stuff, you can visit my youtube channel to see my works.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ac252c

My PC's spec is much lower than yours but still working fine (now using core i3-540, 8GB RAM, 1TB+320GB 7200 RPM harddisk)