Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_musicbrainz (Read 278392 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_musicbrainz

Reply #375
There is nothing standard about the list view controls at all. They're implemented using Peter's rather excellent libPPUI library bundled with the fb2k SDK.

You can see how some columns are auto-sizing and some aren't here...

https://github.com/kbuffington/foo_musicbrainz/blob/d91a77ef3d1f7a05dfe6c30a19d77007683fd03b/src/dialog_tagger.h#L119L125

You can change it if you want to.

Reply #376
There is nothing standard about the list view controls at all. They're implemented using Peter's rather excellent libPPUI library bundled with the fb2k SDK.

You can see how some columns are auto-sizing and some aren't here...

https://github.com/kbuffington/foo_musicbrainz/blob/d91a77ef3d1f7a05dfe6c30a19d77007683fd03b/src/dialog_tagger.h#L119L125

You can change it if you want to.
Yes, that's true. What I meant was that the program doesn't alter the behavior when a user attempts to adjust the width of a column using the sizing handles between columns.

0.4.5b4 released
  • Added caching to requests. This required adding a Least Recently Used cache to the program, and then checking for the request in the cache before making a request to MB for the resource. The cache will hold 100 entries (might be too much?) and get marked stale after 60 minutes. This also necessitated redoing the method for delaying entries. Now we only sleep enough so that the next request will always happen 1000ms after the previous one, regardless of what made that request.
  • Shrunk release date and media type columns
  • Added initquit to abort threadpool on program exit

Reply #377
I really like this component, only thing what is missing for me is the field GENRE.
Maybe you can add this to, if you want.

Keep this component alive it's the best.

Reply #378
Is this a plugin or standalone? I have been using the built-in tagger - freedb sometimes. But, I would like try something different just for comparison.

Reply #379
It's a plugin. Just download the file 'foo_musicbrainz-0.4.5b4.fb2k-component' attached in MordredKLBs post (second post above) and install it in the usual foobar component way.

Reply #380
I just used this for the first time. What I got was a zip file containing a DLL. It installed w/o incident. I was just wondering what caveats to watch out for? How does it compare with FreeDB Tagger? I noticed that they are two date fields?
EDIT: I used this for artist "Doja Cat" and album "Hot Pink" which FreeDB could not find.

Reply #381
FreeDB will not find anything unless you supply a substitute FreeDB server, since the official service was taken down on March 31st.

Reply #383
Finally officially released 0.4.6.

Changes from last beta were to add some new preferences options to give you some control over which MB IDs you want to write, and to fix some bugs when searching by ReleaseGroup ID.

It's also available in the components registry now so you can update through foobar if you like.

Album Type always set to Album; Featured Artists

Reply #384
Hello, I hope this is the right place.

1st:
When I request compilations or live albums etc. the dialog box always shows 'Album', although in MB Album + Compilation/Live/...
Is there a trick?

2nd:
Is there a way to set featured artists in a selectable tag (%feature% or %featured artist%?

3rd:
The same applies to artists who are connected by join (x, presents, with, ...). These artists are listed as multiple artists and are connected manually with a tag %join%.

It would be nice if such features (multiple artists, user-tags and joins) could be added and optionally enabled.

Muchas Gracias for the work on it, it's very useful for me.

bkh

P.S.: I use 0.4.6

Reply #385
Hello, I hope this is the right place.
It is. To answer your questions:

1. Wow, I hadn't noticed that before. I do agree it should show the secondary release type. That needs to be fixed.
2. Not currently. Are you saying you'd still want it in the track artist, but also in a user configurable %featured% type tag too?
3. Are you saying you'd want those split in their own fields as well, or changing what the JOIN text is, or something else?

Reply #386
Hello MordredKLB,

thx for your hard work on it.

My 'problem' are the featured artists. At the moment i put them, via "automatically fill values", in a user defined tag %feature%.
I don't know how it is organized in MB.

The real prob is, that some players cannot show user defined tags, of course.

So, i am searching for a way to make them usable as one separate artist.

Maybe i change it to: %mega(artist,0) %join% %mega(artist,1), but this scheme couldn't act with:

artist1, artist2 & artist3 feat. artist4 & artist5 etc.

Or, i couldn't find a solution in the title formating help

THX

bkh

Reply #387
Interesting. This is a pretty corner case, and not sure it would be applicable to much of anyone besides you (I have my own schema for being able to search artists throughout my library but I'm not hung up on feat/&/vs./etc. that I can't use this component for either).

What I'd suggest for you is using %join% as a multi-value field. Then you could do $meta(artist,0)$meta(join,0)$meta(artist,1)$meta(join,1)$meta(artist,2)

I'll have to think about whether this has broader application, and whether it's worth the effort to add to the component.

Reply #388
Many thanks for this

I just noticed that the artists are separated in MB and thought that there could be a direct takeover.

I think it's great that you have taken over the maintenance of the component.

bkh

Reply #389
Many thanks for maintaining this component!

A few noob-ish questions (as I rely on discogs IDs & data to tag things mostly, but would like to also incorporate a few MusicBrainz bits...):
- is it possible to re-route the MusicBrainz tags to custom metadata fields ?  (I'd want MusicBrainz (Track) ID / MusicBrainz Release ID / MusicBrainz Artist, plus a few others most likely - but only ever to their own custom frames... never the standard ID3/Vorbis Frames, which seems to be the un-editable default atm in foo_musicbrainz ?)
- and additionally, but this is probably beyond the scope - also add AcoustID & AcousticBrainz ID plus some of the AcousticBrainz  data...?

Churs.
c.

Reply #390
- is it possible to re-route the MusicBrainz tags to custom metadata fields ?  (I'd want MusicBrainz (Track) ID / MusicBrainz Release ID / MusicBrainz Artist, plus a few others most likely - but only ever to their own custom frames... never the standard ID3/Vorbis Frames, which seems to be the un-editable default atm in foo_musicbrainz ?)
- and additionally, but this is probably beyond the scope - also add AcoustID & AcousticBrainz ID plus some of the AcousticBrainz  data...?
I have tried the same thing sans AcousticID and AcousticBrainz ID, and to the best f my knowledge, you can't, unfortunately.

If you uncheck every metadata tag in Preferences > Tool > MusicBrainz Data, with Write MusicBrainz IDs enabled you get MUSICBRAINZ_...
ALBUMARTISTID
ALBUMID,
DISCID
RELEASEGROUPID
RELEASETRACKID
TRACKID
WORKID

But it will overwrite Album, Album Artist, Song, Date (and maybe genre). The only work around I have come up with is to call up Properties dialog for release you're tagging, then run Tagging > Get tags from MusicBrainz by TOC. After updating, cross-paste the overwritten tags from that propeties dialog window manually
Neither an audiophile, nor album snob. Why do ratings threads always have someone saying they don't believe in rating music?
Record Label Icons: 600x600 pngs appropriate for any color background:
freeimage.host/johnbuck/?list=images&sort=name_asc&page=1

Reply #391
But it will overwrite Album, Album Artist, Song, Date (and maybe genre)
Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately each of the above is a no-go...

Question for @MordredKLB I'd guess:
Is this - making the fetched MusicBrainz  (& potentially AcoutsticBrainz) data map-able to custom ID3 & Vorbis fields/tags - planned already by chance or potentially an option for the long run ?

Churs.
c.

Reply #392
But it will overwrite Album, Album Artist, Song, Date (and maybe genre)
Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately each of the above is a no-go...

Question for @MordredKLB I'd guess:
Is this - making the fetched MusicBrainz  (& potentially AcoutsticBrainz) data map-able to custom ID3 & Vorbis fields/tags - planned already by chance or potentially an option for the long run
I have no plans to add AcousticBrainz support. That's a completely separate backend/API and seems out of scope to this component.

Can I ask what the reason is you want to adjust those property names? It definitely adds some complexity to the component, but I'm struggling to see why you're fine getting MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID, but you just want it stored in CUSTOM_ALBUMID.

Reply #393
Thanks for the reply!
I have no plans to add AcousticBrainz support. That's a completely separate backend/API and seems out of scope to this component.
Understandable, and with the MusicBrainz ID I might be able to bash something together myself.

Can I ask what the reason is you want to adjust those property names? It definitely adds some complexity to the component, but I'm struggling to see why you're fine getting MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID, but you just want it stored in CUSTOM_ALBUMID.
My reason being that I have a tag nomenclature & tool set I am fairly happy with, and which is Discogs based.
What I would be interested in is some of the MusicBrainz data... to give 2 different use case examples:

MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID, as it is a unique/proprietary tag name, I have no problem with and could use it right away... as for what - in MusicBee one can dynamically string together URLs based on Discogs and similarly, with Musicbrainz data too, and display them within the UI as a direct link to Discogs/MusicBrainz/Wikipedia/LastFM pages for the playing song. For this the existing ID tags would be interesting, and to evaluate the AcousticBrainz relation, which uses the same ID as MusicBrainz for their URLs (and API as well I would assume).

More problematic - and the reason I would not be able to use foo_musicbrainz as is unfortunately:
I would also like to use some of the default field info - like Artist, Release Date, Genre, Tags etc - but as these are only writeable to default fields (which are and will need to stay discogs data populated for me), I would need/want to re-route these to custom fields - i.e. "MUSICBRAINZ_GENRE" (or whatever name I decide on),  "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUM", etc.

Hope that makes sense - not sure if this is a recurring request (for the more music geeky users) though, as most probably stay with whatever tagging system they decided on at some point.

Chur.
c.

ps. another question as well - is there a list for all tags/fields/data that foo_musicbrainz is currently capable of retrieving & writing ? One thing I would love to grab from MusicBrainz is Track-relative instrument credits (where available), but from what I've seen so far, these are not accessible, correct ?

Reply #394
My reason being that I have a tag nomenclature & tool set I am fairly happy with, and which is Discogs based.
What I would be interested in is some of the MusicBrainz data... to give 2 different use case examples:

MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID, as it is a unique/proprietary tag name, I have no problem with and could use it right away... as for what - in MusicBee one can dynamically string together URLs based on Discogs and similarly, with Musicbrainz data too, and display them within the UI as a direct link to Discogs/MusicBrainz/Wikipedia/LastFM pages for the playing song. For this the existing ID tags would be interesting, and to evaluate the AcousticBrainz relation, which uses the same ID as MusicBrainz for their URLs (and API as well I would assume).

More problematic - and the reason I would not be able to use foo_musicbrainz as is unfortunately:
I would also like to use some of the default field info - like Artist, Release Date, Genre, Tags etc - but as these are only writeable to default fields (which are and will need to stay discogs data populated for me), I would need/want to re-route these to custom fields - i.e. "MUSICBRAINZ_GENRE" (or whatever name I decide on),  "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUM", etc.

Hope that makes sense - not sure if this is a recurring request (for the more music geeky users) though, as most probably stay with whatever tagging system they decided on at some point.

Chur.
c.

ps. another question as well - is there a list for all tags/fields/data that foo_musicbrainz is currently capable of retrieving & writing ? One thing I would love to grab from MusicBrainz is Track-relative instrument credits (where available), but from what I've seen so far, these are not accessible, correct ?
Okay, so just to restate, you're fine with the MB ID's being pre-fixed with MUSICBRAINZ_, you'd just like option to prefix every other field that would be updated with "MUSICBRAINZ_" or some other custom string, so that the tags you've already specified aren't overwritten. Is that correct?

I don't believe all the fields are documented anywhere currently, but I can work on that.

Reply #395
Heya, thanks for the info.
And yes, if there would be an option to prefix ALL tag-/field-names for MusicBrainz metadata (in ID3 & vorbis container), then this could work for me (and others who have an established tagging system, and want to enhance their files with MusicBrainz info).

Curious question or 2 re non-documented fields (might actually be some general MusicBrainz questions too...):
- can you retrieve instrument credits/tags via foo_musicbrainz as is (and can this be done on an album and/or per track basis) ?
- is the (discogs) URL exposed/query-able, in your component and/or in the DB/API ? (it's possible via the web component. i.e. see: https://community.metabrainz.org/t/query-release-musicbrainzid-via-a-discogsid-url/478327 - but the replies indicate that this is not easily queryable through the api/db...).

To make sure - these are not requests, merely curious questions & suggestions, and should you think this might be worthwhile for other users as well and worth considering or even implementing, perfect (as I have been looking for a usable musicbrainz auto-tagging solution for a while)...! :D

Churs.
c.

Reply #396
It's great that this has been updated! It's so much better than the old component now that it doesn't throw out lots of errors, import tags with weird hyphen and apostrophe characters, and actually finds stuff consistently.

One idea I do have, which would be cool: Could the tagger window have an autofill dropdown when editing the track artist field, based on the artists in your foobar2000 library? This works in the foobar2000 default properties window and it'd be great to have the option to do this, it'd make tagging tweaks in the MusicBrainz Tagger window a lot easier.

Reply #397
It's great that this has been updated! It's so much better than the old component now that it doesn't throw out lots of errors, import tags with weird hyphen and apostrophe characters, and actually finds stuff consistently.

One idea I do have, which would be cool: Could the tagger window have an autofill dropdown when editing the track artist field, based on the artists in your foobar2000 library? This works in the foobar2000 default properties window and it'd be great to have the option to do this, it'd make tagging tweaks in the MusicBrainz Tagger window a lot easier.
I'll have to look into that. Not a bad idea.

Reply #398
So for a long while now the tagger hasn't been working for me. Did the API change? I'm copy and pasting IDs from musicbrainz.org and none of them work.

Reply #399
Just started to get this error message after I try to tag via artist & album. If I close the error window, it sometimes crashes Foobar - error report submitted

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

I'm using v0.4.6 and Foobar core 1.6.5