Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: portable mp3 player that plays lossless (Read 6224 times) previous topic - next topic

portable mp3 player that plays lossless

hello

I would like a portable mp3 player (hardware) that can play lossless

is there any?

thanks

Reply #1
iAudio X5. I have one myself, great player.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Reply #2
Any player with Rockbox on it can play lossless just fine, with several formats to choose from.

Reply #3
Well the iPod plays "Apple Lossless, WAV, and AIFF". I am not sure there is any player on the market that cannot play WAV.

Reply #4
can ipod play FLAC?

I need mp3 players to play FLAC and OGG

Reply #5
If you Rockbox the iPod, pretty sure it will play both FLAC and Ogg.  As delivered from the factory, it won't play either of those formats; only the lossless mentioned above.

Reply #6
Be aware that Rockbox doesn't support the latest Ipod models. From rockbox.org (observe bold print):

Supported:

Apple: 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
>> (not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd gen Nano, Classic or Touch)

If you get an older ipod, Rockbox plays pretty much anything.

Reply #7
Just for the information: small portable players that will only play lossy files such as mp3 and wma (i.e. no wav or other lossless formats) are quite common, at least on the lower end of the price scale.

Reply #8
Be aware that Rockbox doesn't support the latest Ipod models. From rockbox.org (observe bold print):

Supported:

Apple: 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
>> (not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd gen Nano, Classic or Touch)

If you get an older ipod, Rockbox plays pretty much anything.

mmmm, I was about to buy a classic 6th gen ipod

will it support FLAC and OGG VORBIS in the near future?

Reply #9
mmm, I was about to buy a classic 6th gen ipod

will it support FLAC and OGG VORBIS in the near future?
Doubtful. I know iRiver has models that support Vorbis, and I believe FLAC as well (most likely OGG FLAC). I can't find the product where I found the FLAC support but there is Vorbis support up to Q10.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #10
thanks

I am interested in a FLAC player with >80GB !

Reply #11
I agree, maybe apple will give in eventually(I hope) but not in the near future. I would get my hands on a refurbished or used G5 or G5.5. Install Rockbox and enjoy your FLAC collection. I have Rockbox installed on a G4 and would not trade for a new iPod.ROCKBOX

Reply #12
A number of the iAudio players do FLAC.

Reply #13
thanks

If you find one let us know. Go with this guy:
I agree, maybe apple will give in eventually(I hope) but not in the near future. I would get my hands on a refurbished or used G5 or G5.5. Install Rockbox and enjoy your FLAC collection. I have Rockbox installed on a G4 and would not trade for a new iPod.ROCKBOX

My friend has a RockBox'ed iPod, lots of HD space and it works great.

Again, I can't imagine Apple giving people too much diversity.
Yes I am biased against everything Mac and Apple, but if you experienced the same number of "random oops"s I experienced when working with Macs, you would be, too. I don't even have to be operating the Mac, just sitting near the "expert" that is doing my work so I can't screw it up, and then I hear, "Oh golly gee wiz, that never happens! There went 3 hours of work! [laughs]"
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #14
Cowon PMPs
Thinking Outside The Box

Reply #15
thanks

If you find one let us know. Go with this guy:

My friend has a RockBox'ed iPod, lots of HD space and it works great.

Again, I can't imagine Apple giving people too much diversity.
Yes I am biased against everything Mac and Apple, but if you experienced the same number of "random oops"s I experienced when working with Macs, you would be, too. I don't even have to be operating the Mac, just sitting near the "expert" that is doing my work so I can't screw it up, and then I hear, "Oh golly gee wiz, that never happens! There went 3 hours of work! [laughs]"

Oh, God.  The Windows shills here are so tiresome.  I can't remember the last time I had a "random problem" on my Mac.  I'm certainly reminded of the huge gap in quality every time I boot my Windows machine up and use it.  As for "diversity" ... the mind boggles ... if you're in favour of that why post propaganda against one of the few choices other than MS?  Or do you really think the current state of enforced lack of diversity healthy?  Bah!

Reply #16

a bit out of topic, but can you tell me please the differences between G5/5.5 and G6?

thanks

Reply #17
a bit out of topic, but can you tell me please the differences between G5/5.5 and G6?

Everything but the physical similarities.
Completely new hardware.  Encrypted firmware.
The 1st->5.5th generation fullsize players, Nano 1st gen, Mini 1st and 2nd gen are all kissing cousins.
The Nano 2nd gen was the first one with completely new hardware - and the Classic and Nano 3rd gen may be new hardware again.  It is hard to say as not all the hardware has been identified, and the new style Apple firmware wasn't back-ported to the Nano 2nd gen.
Encrypted firmware will make these devices very hard to port alternative firmware to.
Creature of habit.