Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended MPC settings (Read 447368 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended MPC settings

Reply #25
Will --xlevel destroy the music level by Live or Mix albums with separated tracks?

No, --xlevel won't cause noticable volume changes.

Is --xlevel needed when you later use ReplayGain or convert to SV8?

Yes. ReplayGain only solves clipping during decoding. However, SV7's "internal clipping" is encoder clipping: The signal cannot be stored without truncation. When MPC was designed by Andree Buschmann, he simply didn't predict that today's music albums have such a horrible mastering, which makes the encoder struggle regularly. --xlevel was introduced some time ago to solve this issue until SV8 comes out, which will have more than enough headroom by default.

MPC 1.12 is the recommended version now, but it still says beta version:
"MPC Encoder  1.12  -Beta-   © 1999-2002 Buschmann/Klemm/Piecha"
Is this really the recommended version?

Sure it is. 

To remind you of the version numbering scheme for MPC:

Alpha versions: 1.05a, 1.05b... 1.07a, 1.07b... 1.09a, 1.09b...

Beta versions: 1.04, 1.06, 1.08, 1.12, 1.14...

Stable versions: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3...

Alpha versions won't be recommended; beta versions only after thorough testing. This specific beta version 1.12 has been found safe to use.

Reply #26
Hello Citay,

Thanks for the clear answers.
Now I know what to do with the next encoding .

Reply #27
How To...
Recursively traverse a directory structure and ReplayGaining all MPC files, considering each directory as one album?

Download Sweep

I think that's gonna be difficult, someone needs to host the file, the link no longer works, see why: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/

Reply #29
How To...
Recursively traverse a directory structure and ReplayGaining all MPC files, considering each directory as one album?

Download Sweep

I think that's gonna be difficult, someone needs to host the file, the link no longer works, see why: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/

Files are still available, link just points into wrong location. Most small tools are available at http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/files/ and http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/mpc/files/.
I only removed Speex binaries, official xiph project deserves better than those crappy files I made.

Reply #30
Andavari, did you have an old version of the list? The link was fixed a while ago, and the post hasn't been changed since October 24...

Reply #31
New recommended encoder version: mppenc 1.14

Tested and found safe. Encoding speed on a PIII-1.13 GHz, "--quality 6 --xlevel --verbose", one test song:
1.1: 8x
1.12: 8.39x
1.14: 8.54x

Well done, Frank Klemm.

Also new to the list: Improved layout a bit and added version numbers to the recommended decoder & plug-in versions.

Reply #32
New:

- How to add comments to tags

- Quick & simple guide for MPC in EAC (thx Case): http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/EAC/

- Added a warning about "advanced" switches that no longer work, like "--ltq fil"!

Reply #33
Andavari, did you have an old version of the list? The link was fixed a while ago, and the post hasn't been changed since October 24...

I didn't realize the download link had changed. Now I have the correct URL. Thanks!

Reply #34
would someone be able to point me to some papers which show the technical differences between each of mpc's presets?  i was particularly looking for some technical comparisons between xtreme, insane, and braindead.  (edit: guide really isn't the right word, good call liekloo)

Reply #36
How about some links for the latest Linux builds?  I had to do some digging last night to find mppenc 1.14 for linux...  I do all my ripping in Linux because of cdparanoia and easy scriptability.

Reply #39
These links don't work. :-(

Ah yes, 2bdecided took his pages offline... but several people downloaded all of it, so we'll probably have a mirror soon (see  this thread).

I temporarily removed the two links from the list.

Reply #40
I could mirror the pages here on the HA server if someone wants to send me the files.

PM me or something.

Reply #41
heh. That's a cute guide  

I just wanted to link to this little guide (by Case), but I see Case's post has been removed. What happened?

Reply #42
I just wanted to link to this little guide (by Case), but I see Case's post has been removed. What happened?

I don't know... but the guide is still linked in the first post.

Reply #43
uh oh, I keep getting an error "Can't patch C:\eac\*.mpc" whenever I run replaygain on any of my mpc files, do you know what could be causing this and any solutions to prevent this from occuring again?
thanks

Reply #44
uh oh, I keep getting an error "Can't patch C:\eac\*.mpc" whenever I run replaygain on any of my mpc files, do you know what could be causing this and any solutions to prevent this from occuring again?
thanks

This happened to me when I accidently put id3v2 tags on a file. I think I had to use the remove tag option in the winamp plugin to fix it. Is EAC set to add id3 tags or something?

Reply #45
The links to the ReplayGain homepage are back... better late than never 

edit: Two more Linkfixes (digido.com restructured their site).

Reply #46
uh oh, I keep getting an error "Can't patch C:\eac\*.mpc" whenever I run replaygain on any of my mpc files

id3v2 tags make MPC files impossible to replaygain. However, I've never tried using id3v2 for MPCs, so it is not 100% sure this is the reason. But for Mr. Superbad id3v2 seems to be the cause.

Reply #47
New Winamp 2.x plugin 0.98b at Case's page: Download

2003-01-19: v0.98 beta
 * Fixed stereo/mono status reporting
 * Several other bugfixes
 * Fixed resynching on corrupted bitstreams
 * Copied all equalizer changes from XMMS plugin:
     * "Equalizing" for some headphones possible (currently only selectable during compile time).
     * Equalizer uses the frequencies of 32/63/125/250/500 Hz, 1/2/4/8/16 kHz
     * Compensated delay of equalizer of 36 subband samples,
       which generates medium plops between titles.
       The old equalizers with 7 and 18 subband samples also
       generated plops, but they were smaller.
     * Complete redesign of the Musepack equalizer
       - bug fix (low frequencies had another delay than high frequencies,
         the result were aliasing distortions and phase errors)
       - code cleanup
       - different time/frequency resolution for lower and higher subbands
       - code speedup (but no assembler)
       - code usable for multi channel support
       - code can be used for sample frequencies != 44100 Hz
     * Several fine tunes on Equalizer

Reply #49
Which is recommended? with -xlevel or without? I plan on using -quality 5 (standard) to encode a bunch of CDs I have. What exactly does xlevel do?

I just acquired a 20 gig drive and planning on starting a fresh new collection. I've been using Lame 3.90.2 alt preset standard and I've been happy with it.

I'm new to MPC.