Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Codec to create AVI video (Read 4335 times) previous topic - next topic

Codec to create AVI video

hi all,

Can someone pls tell me which codec is used to convert ANY video format to AVI? I've tried winmpg, but it keeps asking for a codec and I have no idea which one...Btw, is there anything better than winmpg?

The input files are usually divX or mpeg etc....

thanks

Reply #1
AVI is not a video format, it's a container. An AVI can contain almost anything from MPEG4 (DivX, XviD, etc.) to MJPEG or even uncompressed video.
If you want to reencode a movie (to make it smaller for example), have a look at the guides on http://www.doom9.net/.

Reply #2
avi is virtualdub's domain!
nothign comes even close.....
head over to avery lee's web,check out the vdub forums
http://virtualdub.everwicked.com/index.php
and see if it can create avi for you.....no matter the source,it should!

".avi" means "video on a PC".......

Reply #3
".avi" means "video on a PC".......

wow, I always thought it means "audio video interleave"

Reply #4
that answer was for agent007,not for you!
(hehe)

but do you know what "riff" means?(no google please)

"riff" means "avi"...

Reply #5
hi,

Thanks for the info...I always thought that AVI was uncompressed/lossless and of the highest quality? I'm just experimenting with the formats. What I'm planning to do is convert divX and mpeg files to an uncompressed format.

Btw, is Indeo similar to Cinepack? Using either one of them to convert to AVI would be the same right? Am checking out virtual dub..

thanks..

PS: This forum is great!

Reply #6
I always thought that AVI was uncompressed/lossless and of the highest quality?

It is possible to put uncompressed or lossless compressed (e.g. HuffYuv) video in the AVI container. But AVI can also contain highly compressed (e.g. Divx) material.

What I'm planning to do is convert divX and mpeg files to an uncompressed format.

Why would you want to do that? Uncompressed video takes huge amounts of disk space, up to 30 MByte/s!

And you won't gain any quality by this procedure...

Reply #7
Well, Virtualdub did the trick! But the frames seemed to be a little out-of-sync....anyway, this was just an experiment..Btw, Virtual dub is unable to process formats such as asf, though the video is actually a divx (i think).....

anyway, these video codecs can drive u nuts....

Reply #8
Virtual dub is unable to process formats such as asf,

ASF support was removed from virtualdub at the request of microsoft, but there's an old version available.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...ualdub_1_3c.cfm

BTW, the virtualdub help file is a good read if you're new to all this madness.
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #9
hmm.....I didnt think about the help file...Thanks for the pointer.