Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New web page: Google's "Music Timeline" (Read 4929 times) previous topic - next topic

New web page: Google's "Music Timeline"

Google Research introduced his interactive Music Timeline:

What is the Music Timeline?

The Music Timeline shows genres of music waxing and waning, based on how many Google Play Music users have an artist or album in their music library, and other data (such as album release dates). Each stripe on the graph represents a genre; the thickness of the stripe tells you roughly the popularity of music released in a given year in that genre. (For example, the "jazz" stripe is thick in the 1950s since many users' libraries contain jazz albums released in the '50s.) Click on the stripes to zoom into more specialized genres.

Music Timeline FAQ
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #1
Whenever google comes up with some 'innovation' I wonder what they have taken down, as they seem to be constantly  robbing Peter and giving it to Paul (google image's changes, google news etc.)
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
Whenever google comes up with some 'innovation' I wonder what they have taken down, as they seem to be constantly  robbing Peter and giving it to Paul (google image's changes, google news etc.)

And, on my Android tablet at least, it simply refuses to work ATPM.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
It's just a blank graph here in Chrome too! The search just hangs.

Reply #4
It works for me with both Opera and Internet Explorer.

Are the other Big Picture Group visualizations down for you as well?

Reply #5
It works for me with both Opera and Internet Explorer.

Are the other Big Picture Group visualizations down for you as well?
No, all the others work fine. Same on another PC+browser.

Reply #6
Works fine in Chrome for me, but not in FF.

Reply #7
Works fine in Chrome for me, but not in FF.
Could the reason be that some web browsers do no longer support certain plugins like Java or Flash?

Since I am not a web page designer I don't know how that Google site is realized technically and what it requires to be displayed properly.

Reply #8
It's using SVG, I guess it depends on the browsers implementation and support for different parts of SVG. It should always work in Chrome as that's what their developers would use

UPDATE: works fine in the latest FF, I guess it just took a while to load last time.

Both on Win 7 64-bit.

Reply #9
Thank you, probedb.

Maybe you can also prompt the site to work properly by using one of these arbitrarily chosen sub urls (for those whose web browsers should work but have difficulties to get the web site displayed correctly)?Tested with Opera.

Reply #10
works now. isn't slow to load when it works!

given the fuzzy boundaries of genres, the occasional difference between when a track was first released, when it was popular, and when it was re-released, this is eye candy rather than useful.

Reply #11
The site works on some machines but not others for me.  I suspect its just overloaded.

Reply #13

@plazz

" Oops

You need to be a logged in Last.fm subscriber to try this feature, sorry."

My two cents but me thinks a screen capture of said service would be better suited given that not everyone might have a LFM account/be bothered to remember their logon details.

Edit: reformatting
União e reconstrução