Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: R128GAIN: An EBU R128 compliant loudness scanner (Read 387853 times) previous topic - next topic

R128GAIN: An EBU R128 compliant loudness scanner

Reply #450
don't work.

What's the problem and how does it manifest? "Don't work" is a rather vague description 

It's simple -- all options cover a single simple feature.  Non of those does what it is supposed to do.

1. Output is not quiet
2. Progress is still showing
3. Permissions are still 600 instead of original 666 after files being written ( umask is 644 btw)
4. Owner gets changed

I'm not running my stuff in a virtual environment btw.

THX

Reply #451
don't work.

What's the problem and how does it manifest? "Don't work" is a rather vague description 

It's simple -- all options cover a single simple feature.  Non of those does what it is supposed to do.

Could you please let us know, at least, the command line you are using?

Reply #452
I also have a problem getting R128GAIN to work as expected.

Despite having a suspicion the solution is embarrassingly simple I'm forced to admit to being stuck.

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/r128gain/files/r128gain/1.0/
    Unpack using 7z: http://www.7-zip.org/
    Double click "r128gain.exe" from the Windows Explorer.
    Hit the "Choose" button and select your WAV/FLAC file.
    Hit the "Ok" button.

When I execute the above by starting the exe file I get the R128GAIN v1.0-alpha-6-3(FFmpeg edition) window displayed
and a command line window opens with 'GigItemurl successfully loaded. _' Appears.

When I enter the target file name into the input window and hit 'ok'

the command line window reports

Sox successfully loaded
FFmpeg sucessfully loaded
Done
Hit enter to continue ..

So I hit enter..... and nothing constructive happens.

All windows close.

What am I doing wrong?

Windows Vista 64 system. All drivers and OS fully up to date. No other known issues. Intel i7-920 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2. No o/c.

Reply #453
When I enter the target file name into the input window and hit 'ok'

I'm a bit uncertain what you mean by "enter the target file name ...". At a minimum you have to provide an input. If you are interested just in analyzing the input then that's all what is needed.

Reply #454
I'm a bit uncertain what you mean by "enter the target file name ..."

When I execute (double click on) R128GAIN.exe it brings up a windows command line box and the standard windows parameter box I've seen from other peoples screen shots.

The first option on the latter is labeled 'input' with a choose option. I figure that's the place you enter a target file to be analysed. Right?
If you are interested just in analyzing the input then that's all what is needed.

Yes. So why does nothing happen? Where should the analysis appear?

Reply #456

Here's my commandline (started from a bash script):

Code: [Select]
r128gain --quiet --progress=off --chmod --chown --sox=/usr/share/r128gain/r128gain-tools --r128-2011 --true-peak --gate=-10 --reference=-27 --in-place --tags=rg --db /tmp

Reply #457
Here's my commandline (started from a bash script):

r128gain --quiet --progress=off --chmod --chown --sox=/usr/share/r128gain/r128gain-tools --r128-2011 --true-peak --gate=-10 --reference=-27 --in-place --tags=rg --db /tmp

You should have "--r128-2011" in front of any other option. This kind of option loads a complete profile including all default settings, i.e. this kind of option effectively overwrites any other setting in front of it.

r128gain --r128-2011 --quiet --progress=off --chmod --chown --sox=/usr/share/r128gain/r128gain-tools --true-peak --gate=-10 --reference=-27 --in-place --tags=rg --db /tmp

Reply #458
--quiet

won't seem to work in latest alpha-6-3 cli-64.

Meanwhile I've learned that the current implementation is no guarantied to work (cf. e.g. http://www.linuxmisc.com/9-unix-programmer...32581e41ffc.htm). The next release will fix this. Meanwhile you should avoid "--quiet" and prefer the following instead:

r128gain ... >/dev/null

That's exactly the same what the next version will do in the presence of "--quiet".

Reply #459
What kind of file are you adding to the input?

.mp3  - More specifically a selection of downloads from Beatport which you asked me to take a look at in another thread.

I've tried it with other file types from various sources of course but the result is always the same.

I'm at a loss where to look for diagnostics. Just seems to disappear without leaving a trace.

Reply #460
What kind of file are you adding to the input?

.mp3

In order to allow "r128gain" recognizing MP3 you have to upgrade the FFmpeg DLLs from the folder "r128gain-tools" with their counter parts from the latest Zeranoe build: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/shared/.

I get the R128GAIN v1.0-alpha-6-3(FFmpeg edition) window displayed

Since the alpha-6-3 release they have bumped FFmpeg's libavuitil to version 52. To make "r128gain" working with the latest FFmpeg build from Zeranoe you have also to upgrade "r128gain" to at least alpha-6-4: http://sourceforge.net/projects/r128gain/files/r128gain/1.0/.

Reply #461
You should have "--r128-2011" in front of any other option. This kind of option loads a complete profile including all default settings, i.e. this kind of option effectively overwrites any other setting in front of it.

THX. I reckon that's a workaround for now!?!?

That's IMO a very "dangerous" behaviour you're describing. People can have settings overwritten without noticing it. Dependencies of options should be covered by the program.
Even if put into the "help" area, the risk of not getting as result what was intented is pretty high. 

THX for letting me know.

Reply #462
--quiet

won't seem to work in latest alpha-6-3 cli-64.

Meanwhile I've learned that the current implementation is no guarantied to work (cf. e.g. http://www.linuxmisc.com/9-unix-programmer...32581e41ffc.htm). The next release will fix this. Meanwhile you should avoid "--quiet" and prefer the following instead:

r128gain ... >/dev/null

That's exactly the same what the next version will do in the presence of "--quiet".

First of all. Good to see that I was not wrong. 

Routing to >/dev/null is of course the easy way. Though I'd say it's better to avoid the printfs . 

Scripting issue - once more:

Could it be that my earlier reported script problem is also located in the shell environment area.
I'm running all kind of shell scripts since years and never had a problem with loops. You're also running a recursive loop inside your program.
Maybe those loops interfere somehow. This problem is really bugging me.

Cheers

Reply #463
I'm running all kind of shell scripts since years and never had a problem with loops. You're also running a recursive loop inside your program.
Maybe those loops interfere somehow.

I'm not certain what the intention of your script is. I suspect that you try to descent down a directory tree. "r128gain" is doing exactly that.

Reply #464
Maybe those loops interfere somehow.

I'm not certain what the intention of your script is. I suspect that you try to descent down a directory tree. "r128gain" is doing exactly that.

1. I'm running quite some other actions on my files.
2. I can move files around, I can change permissions
3. I can run tailor made loops with certain search masks
asf. asf

I used to use metaflac for applying rg-tags btw. That worked without problems by handing over *flac.

In my opinion/experience CLI programs don't need to implement  smart recursive functions or similar. Like sox,flac,ecasound,metafac you name it. You hand over a set of files
an that's it. Much less hazzle for the programer.

Reply #465
One more:

If you go for >/dev/null  solution. Please seperate stdout from stderr, to avoid that everything goes straight to /dev/null   

>/dev/null  2>/tmp/error.log

Though I'd rather say. Skip the >/dev/null thing. Take out --quiet if you don't intend to surpress the printfs.

THX

Reply #466
I used to use metaflac for applying rg-tags btw. That worked without problems by handing over *flac.

That's the same with "r128gain": if you provide a list of FLACs it will process exactly these FLACs. You may use wildcards as well, i.e. "*.flac".

As far as I can see, your script does something else. Try the following:

find /tmp  -iname '*.flac' -printf '%h\n' | sort -u

It gives you a list of directories including all sub-directories. "r128gain" will traverse recursively each directory. Your script will having run "r128gain" multiple times on the same sub-directories potentially colliding with itself.

You simply don't need the loop.

In my opinion/experience CLI programs don't need to implement  smart recursive functions or similar. Like sox,flac,ecasound,metafac you name it. You hand over a set of files
an that's it. Much less hazzle for the programer.

That's your opinion. I prefer to have just a program without the need for writing additional scripts.

EDIT: If you change "$I" to something like "$I/*.flac" it may work, provided the shell expands the wildcard.

Reply #467
That's your opinion.

You missed " my experience". 

Mainly all cli tools are pretty basic, though extremely "flexible".

But. Never mind.

I talked too much anyhow.

THX again for providing your toolbox to the community.

I'm outta here.

Reply #468
Hello,

i followed this discussion trying to catch the most important points.
i am not into programming, though - being left with a more or less "basic" question concerning the output of r128gain.exe:
basically, the GUI works quite fine, giving me results after having specified input file.(my OS = Win7 64)
But:
1.the resulting analysis (in my case: -25.3 LUFS |-10.0 TPFS  | range 13.8 LU ) - i would like the analysis be shown not only in the commandline but in a separate (explorer)window. is decent for being batch processed.
2.i would like to be able to find the appropriate syntax for the CLI also: i did not get the point, which option should be specified for the output of the results ?
(r128gain.exe --r128-2011 --true peak PfadWavOrdner\*.wav  -->Results of analysis?
3.the resulting analysis showed a wrong prefix in my case:
FFmpeg successfully loaded
analyzing...
  [1/1] "test.686.wav": -25.3 LUFS <2.3LU>
but it should read minus 2.3 LU (referring to -23LUFS=0LU), right?

Hope you guys do not get nervous about plain simple probs,
nice work, this r128gain...
Greez Nico

Reply #469
1.the resulting analysis (in my case: -25.3 LUFS |-10.0 TPFS  | range 13.8 LU ) - i would like the analysis be shown not only in the commandline but in a separate (explorer)window. is decent for being batch processed.
2.i would like to be able to find the appropriate syntax for the CLI also: i did not get the point, which option should be specified for the output of the results ?
(r128gain.exe --r128-2011 --true peak PfadWavOrdner\*.wav  -->Results of analysis?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you like to have the EBU R128 analysis from the command line you may type something like

r128gain file1.wav file2.wav file3.wav

or

r128gain infolder\*.wav

If you want to have the results saved in some file it looks like

r128gain file1.wav file2.wav file3.wav > analysis.txt

or

r128gain infolder\*.wav > analysis.txt

If you want to have the results written as REPLAYGAIN tags the corresponding commands look like

r128gain file1.wav file2.wav flac file3.wav -o outfolder flac

or

r128gain infolder\*.wav -o outfolder flac

3.the resulting analysis showed a wrong prefix in my case:
FFmpeg successfully loaded
analyzing...
  [1/1] "test.686.wav": -25.3 LUFS <2.3LU>
but it should read minus 2.3 LU (referring to -23LUFS=0LU), right?

It depends on the interpretation of the term "gain". The gain is the amplification which have to be applied in order to get the target loudness.

Hope you guys do not get nervous about plain simple probs,

You're welcome.

Reply #470
In order to allow "r128gain" recognizing MP3 you have to upgrade the FFmpeg DLLs from the folder "r128gain-tools" with their counter parts from the latest Zeranoe build: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/shared/.

Since the alpha-6-3 release they have bumped FFmpeg's libavuitil to version 52. To make "r128gain" working with the latest FFmpeg build from Zeranoe you have also to upgrade "r128gain" to at least alpha-6-4: http://sourceforge.net/projects/r128gain/files/r128gain/1.0/.
I still don't get what I have to do to get it to recognise AAC files with .MP4 extensions.

Do both Sox.exe and FFMPeg.exe both go in the r128-tools folder?

Reply #471
Thanks for your immediate reply, your code samples will work -
i was uncertain about the ability of r128gain to work serially, now it is self-explanatory.

or

r128gain file1.wav file2.wav file3.wav

best regards,
nfranzke

Reply #472
Hello,

I just tried to tag some FLAC files with R128GAIN v1.0.alpha6-4, and the program crashed repeatedly during the writing process.
It also happens with earlier versions.

I found out that it happens consequently with FLAC files with embedded album art.

Removing the album art with e.g. mp3tag solved the problem. R128GAIN wrote RG information to the tags and did not crash.

Is this a bug in R128GAIN ???

Jean

Reply #473
Sox.exe

It's not about SoX at all.

FFMPeg.exe

It's not about the FFmpeg tool itself, it's about the related DLLs:
go in the r128-tools folder?

That's right:
  • Substitute the FFmpeg DLLs from the "r128-tools" folder with their counterparts from the unpacked "bin" folder (cf. above).

Reply #474

I have to correct this a bit. In order to avoid having the "analysis.txt" spammed with the progress messages you should provide the option "--progress=off", i.e.

r128gain --progress=off file1.wav file2.wav file3.wav > analysis.txt